Limited Edition Marine WIP Thread

winterdyne

Today I went to get that nice limited edition marine. Always loved the rogue trader cover, and feel like doing one of these for GD. And it's been my birthday. Wanted a new toy of my own, as opposed to commission stuff.

Asked a staffer when I walk into Warhammer World what the casting rate is like on them. 100%, I'm told they're told. Heh.

Anyway, bought and OPENED IN STORE. First impressions were good, but it turns out the bottom of one of the greaves was borked, and the resin scenic base has a real thin spot. There was probably more, but store lighting at WHW is dire.

So, I go up to the counter. 'Can I have this replaced please?' (holding just the marine).

'No, sorry you have to go through customer services, 'cos it's limited edition.'

'That's awkward'

'Yeah, we know, sorry.'

I take a look at the fairly long queue... 'Can I have a full refund then please?'

'Yes, of course'.

'Cool, can I spend the refund immediately on another marine please?'

'Uhm, yess...'

'Bit of a pointless policy that then, isn't it?'

So, long story short, the second one comes out and seems to be cast better. Looking at it at home though, there's a fair few bubbles I didn't notice. Time to begin the replacements cycle. I've emailed off the pics below. I could probably fix all of these in a couple of hours' work, but for a £20 SINGLE FIGURE MODEL, I ain't gonna. These are just some of the bubbles too, there's a lot more on the base (mostly very easy fixes, so not of any concern).

http://www.winterdyne.co.uk/maz/images/finecast_review/finecast2/bubble1.jpg

http://www.winterdyne.co.uk/maz/images/finecast_review/finecast2/bubble2.jpg

http://www.winterdyne.co.uk/maz/images/finecast_review/finecast2/bubble3.jpg

http://www.winterdyne.co.uk/maz/images/finecast_review/finecast2/bubble4.jpg

http://www.winterdyne.co.uk/maz/images/finecast_review/finecast2/bubble5.jpg

http://www.winterdyne.co.uk/maz/images/finecast_review/finecast2/bubble6.jpg

http://www.winterdyne.co.uk/maz/images/finecast_review/finecast2/bubble7.jpg

http://www.winterdyne.co.uk/maz/images/finecast_review/finecast2/bubble8.jpg

http://www.winterdyne.co.uk/maz/images/finecast_review/finecast2/bubble9.jpg

http://www.winterdyne.co.uk/maz/images/finecast_review/finecast2/bubble10.jpg

So I'm going through the CS mill anyway it seems. Stupid Finecast. As this is part of the process, I'll log it here for everyone's amusement.

you got me worried now, lol haven't got mine yet in the mail. If i have to travel all the way to shanghai (closest GW store to me) to get them replaced im going to freak out. for limited editon models you would think they would be mint at £20 each.

I am completely stunned by the way GW is screwing up resin casting. The blatant hit-and-miss in quality combined with a price increase. Really?! Mass producing product seems to be the only factor, and quality control is virtually ignored in the name of pumping out product. Your pictures are proof positive - It looks like every component in the kit has problems ranging from minor to major. The odd bubble here-and-there? That's normal and unavoidable. But every part in a kit riddled with bubbles? Ridiculous!

They have a little affiliate company called ForgeWorld that specializes in only resin cast kits, and yet they seem to be clueless and choose to learn nothing from them. I'm sure with the amount of capitol they have invested in the Finecast line that they could add a 'pressure casting' step and all but eliminate bubbles.

Would that cut in to (heaven forbid) profits? Yes. But, do it properly from the beginning and everyone will be happy. Can replacing all of this product really be more cost effective than taking the effort (money) to produce an acceptable product to begin with? I can't believe it.

Are these Finecast miniatures still made in the UK? (I haven't bought any yet) Because it looks to me like they are outsourcing to the cheapest 'made in China' producer they can find. The skill of the mould makers and casters appears to be completely lacking, and it makes me wonder.

I'm really glad that I didn't order one of these. Although I am a staunch advocate of GW the eternal pessimist in me stopped me from celebrating the 25th anniversary with one of these.

I completely agree with every word that Subtle Discord has written and am already thinking that we are going to see the same problems with the GD '12 Space Marine.

I've been advised by a well placed GW employee that mail ordering Fine/Failcast is the way forward as 90% of these items are checked prior to shipping rather than only 10% of items that find their way on to the store racks but for such an iconic model as this and the significance it holds not to be at least 95% perfect is unforgivable. Especially as the OP had already handed one back for defects.

It will be interesting to see how many people add to this thread with tales of woes over those with good models, and I'd urge all those with problems to post pictures to highlight the serious faux pas that GW has made here.

I too bought a LE Captain today, this was my first finecast model - I've been holding off from buying any others as I was wary of the horror stories that I had seen both here and on other websites.

When I opened my box up back at home, I found that the resin base was awful, absolutely awful - all of the supposed fine details look like they've melted. There's no crispness and the base is really really thin.

As for the Captain model itself - the powerfist fingers need resculpting, they're completely destroyed by bubbling, and the winged crest on the shoulder also has bubbles in the fine detail. Mine also looks like the mould has slipped because the head has two halves that don't match up.

There are other bubbles too, but these would be fairly easy to fix, the faults above though, no, I'm not fixing them, not having paid £20 for one model. It's not acceptable and I have to say that I'm incredibly disappointed.

I hope you get a good result Winterdyne.

Seriously, wouldn't it have just been easier to sculpt your own, WD? With the bendy prospects of fine cast stuff I don't see how that banner is every going to stay in the right spot and the marine itself doesn't look that difficult to convert.

I love 40k. Really, after 25 years of it. I love GW stuff.

Finecast is IMO a mistake in its current form. So occasionally I buy it, and go through the replacement mill till I get something I like. The more money it costs the beancounters, the more likely it is to have its process changed in some way (better QC or a different material). So occasionally, when I want something, I will buy it, but I won't accept it till it's right.

My anniversary mini was perfect out the box when I bought it, the only problem was when the banner top itself broke off when I went to brush away the flash, which was mildly annoying at worst. Everything else was absolutely flawless, and I spent a good 20 minutes pouring over each individual part.

At least you guys got your LE captains...

I preordered two minis the day after it was put on their website. I emailed them about the progress of the order yesterday and they informed me that there was an internal problem, they took my cash weeks ago and never sent mine in the mail! They said they figured it out and mailed them to me via snail mail sometime yesterday......

They should have overnighted the minis to me as I preordered them a long time ago instead of getting them a week from now, their mistake not mine B)

Love GW but this is kinda frustrating, the minis better be mint with no failcast problems!!!

yeah im waiting for mine too I orderd off the site as soon as i saw it on there and emailed them thursday as it still said processing and got told it was posted on thursday morning and will arrive somethime next week. youd think pre order we should of got them the day of relese if not before.. not a week later whats the point

It best not be in as bad a shape as some have mentioned..

Wow, looks like yours is worse off than the one I picked up here at GW Denver yesterday.

The banner pole on mine was bent below the banner's bottom (not unfixable, but I won't be using this piece), the large scenic base had a miscast on the Mk VI helmet and shoulder pad (again, not unfixable, but I won't be using it either), and the left shoulder pad had some issues where it was injected from the mold, but this isn't anything serious either. I had some other, smaller miscasts, but on the whole, this was probably the best representation of a Finecast model I've gotten to date... it was worth the drive and the wait to be first in line. Shame they wouldn't let me pick up more than one, as I'd have liked to have one of these to convert.

-Joe

I have two of these preordered, no doubt they will be on my desk at work tomorrow when i get in

These will be my first finecast models, having avoided them up to now due to the amount of poor examples. I've been in this hobby for nearly 24 years, and I love GW, but i'm thoroughly disgusted with the whole Finecast situation; i sincerely hope they sort it and do not set a precedent for future quality.

I'll post pics of my mini's tomorrow

Actually, I have a theory on this. I think Winterdyne is a psyker who is able to induce bubbles in any material. Let's all be thankful that he doesn't decide to become an assassin and use his powers on our brains. :lol:

I really wanted to get one of these figures, but just didn't feel like taking a chance on the resin. Sigh...

Honestly glad I didn't get it. I didn't like the sculpt to begin with. Regarding Finecast, I only have purchased two figures - a cockatrice and the Herald of Tzeentch. Defects wise the cockatrice has very minimal, and they are easy to clean up. I haven't taken too much stock of the Herald, I only wanted it for the Disk.

Jase

Actually, I have a theory on this. I think Winterdyne is a psyker who is able to induce bubbles in any material. Let's all be thankful that he doesn't decide to become an assassin and use his powers on our brains. :lol:

I really wanted to get one of these figures, but just didn't feel like taking a chance on the resin. Sigh...

Archived