Limited Edition Marine WIP Thread

winterdyne

Yeah mine is pretty similar. The base hasn't got any massive issues other than the helmet looks partially melted, the banner top has a couple of air bubbles just to make it awkward to reattach to the banner itself. And the marines shoulder pad details are quite messed up but other than that it's pretty decent - not happy for £20 model though.

You guys have me thinking. I bought 4 of them and was planning on leaving at least one sealed. I guess I better open them all up and start looking for problems. I'll post my results later tonight.

I'd got two, one to convert and one to stay sealed. The 'sealed' one I got via mail order, so I opened it up to check it. Luckily there are no major problems with it, but I'm gutted I had to even break the seal to check it, because of all the Failcast problems.

Progress: I received an email from CS this morning, a replacement is on the way. I do really feel for the guys at CS, they have to deal with a ton of gak from a lot of folks (many of whom I'm willing to bet are far less polite than me). They do now, and always have done a sterling job.

To be honest, an on-sprue but checked finecast piece is probably worth more than one that's flawed. I doubt the quality is ever going to improve notably so I can't see this changing - if it got perfect, then after a long while the flawed 'early examples' may be worth something to a collector from a historical perspective.

It's a shame to read that a model that should have been impeccable is instead turning out to be a horror story. I am like many other hobbyists, I waited a while before ordering my first Finecast model. I bought myself the Dark Angels Chapter Master, and when I opened it up at home there were numerous problems with it. I've tried using green stuff to fix the problems, but instead I stopped trying to fix it, and ordered another metal model online. I hope you guys that are waiting for models in the mail have better luck.

Well I got my 2 in the post this morning, one for me to own and one for a friend. I am sad to say I am disappointed with the quality control that the model went through, as it was glaringly obvious even from inside the clear box when I opened mine up that the base was malformed and poorly cast. It's warped so I cannot place it on the large base and parts of it look like it's been glanced with a melta gun. Some holes are present too.

The captain however I had better luck than with others, but the fingers of the power fist have been bubbled so they need some work and the sprue itself is very warped indeed, everything else on him appears to be okay, just a lot of flash to clean up alongside mould lines.

The banner is probably the best thing cast in my model, the only slight niggle being that it's slightly bent, but that can be easily fixed.

gallery_26154_4148_350358.jpg

gallery_26154_4148_350365.jpg

gallery_26154_4148_350476.jpg

gallery_26154_4148_898565.jpg

I haven't opened the other box set yet, but I'm sorely tempted to to see if my friend's one's got similar defects. As someone who has never had any issues with GW before and this being my first Mail Order, bar GD tickets, am I entitled to a refund for the poor casting of the base etc and if so, how do I go about this?

Cambrius

If you call up Customer Service they will likely try and get you a replacement first. (Free of Charge and without a return of the original usually but as this is Special Limited Ed Im not sure). You could likely press it further and get them to refund your purchase price.

Get a replacement. You've also got a neat line of bubbles in the underarm of the powerfist arm, and have lost the bottom edge of the elbow guard. The base could probably be straightened in some warm water, and then held flat by a bit of greenstuff. I'm not too worried by holes in that base (though I'd obviously rather not have them) as I have sand of exactly the same grain size handy - a paper back 'patch' soaked in superglue, pressed on then sprinkle sand on the top over the hole - easy fix. So long as there's no borked detail (the marine helmet, shoulder pad, or big bubbles in the rocks) it's really not hard to fix up at all, compared to getting a neat fix if you're (like me) planning on painting the armour very 'clean'.

ok got mine today the back of the marines collar is slightly thin and the banner poles bent at the bottom and the part that goes across the top has holes in same place as everyone but apart from that im happy with it its fine. I will make a topic with it when I finish my black reach marines :)

I got mine yesterday, I was going to keep it sealed however this thread made me open it =)

This is my first finecast product and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. I've heard nothing but bad about it.

There are a few bubbles on the base, but they took a while to even realise.

It seems to me the only thing GW needs to do is get better quality control. I think fine cast would probably be a godsend for larger models.

However GW in Australia is just too expensive to justify buying any more of it.

Ouch :) I have two on their way and expect as much. I ordered a EC for the chapter I'm making and his sword was missing half its hilt and the tabard had seen better days .. I went in for the 25th and ended up buying another one as I forgot to bring him with me :( .. ok well one will be bits I suppose. I guess the lesson for me is always buy FC in person and check it before you leave..

If you call up Customer Service they will likely try and get you a replacement first. (Free of Charge and without a return of the original usually but as this is Special Limited Ed Im not sure). You could likely press it further and get them to refund your purchase price.

Get a replacement. You've also got a neat line of bubbles in the underarm of the powerfist arm, and have lost the bottom edge of the elbow guard. The base could probably be straightened in some warm water, and then held flat by a bit of greenstuff. I'm not too worried by holes in that base (though I'd obviously rather not have them) as I have sand of exactly the same grain size handy - a paper back 'patch' soaked in superglue, pressed on then sprinkle sand on the top over the hole - easy fix. So long as there's no borked detail (the marine helmet, shoulder pad, or big bubbles in the rocks) it's really not hard to fix up at all, compared to getting a neat fix if you're (like me) planning on painting the armour very 'clean'.

Thank you both for the advice and to winterdyne for spotting further defects. I did open up the other set in the end and found further damages and miscasts, so I did phone up GW's Customer Services and the guy speaking to me was very polite and kind to direct me to send them an email with pictures of the damages. Thus here's some of the ones I took showcasing the defects:

gallery_26154_4148_14239.jpg

gallery_26154_4148_52373.jpg

gallery_26154_4148_3615.jpg

gallery_26154_4148_18135.jpg

gallery_26154_4148_148562.jpg

gallery_26154_4148_25153.jpg

As you can see, I've found quite a few more bubble issues destroying detail in places so I was not happy. Thankfully the guy on the phone said they'll send me out replacements if they receive my email with the pictures so here's hoping. :huh:

Cambrius

I've basically resigned myself to the fact I'll have to resculpt one or more of the mini(s) I'm sent. But I'm going to keep having replacements sent until I get one of these rumoured perfect casts. However long it takes. And if I get offered a refund, I'll take that and spend it on something else and repeat the process.

I've basically resigned myself to the fact I'll have to resculpt one or more of the mini(s) I'm sent. But I'm going to keep having replacements sent until I get one of these rumoured perfect casts. However long it takes. And if I get offered a refund, I'll take that and spend it on something else and repeat the process.

Indeed I may end up doing the same..my first experience with Finecast too, such great potential in it, but way too many defects and issues for it to be justifiably sold at such a cost. Fair play though on GW replacing any damaged/miscast products. :huh:

Cambrius

Update:

I've gotten mine partially assembled and cleaned up with the tools. I'll add pictures hopefully tomorrow before I have a go at it with the Liquid GS.

I may have to remove the purity seal on the left portion of the chest (the parchment at least, as it's badly bubbled), and replace the rivet right in the center of the chest... but these are easy enough fixes.

After having looked at some of the examples of poor quality on here, I'd say mine falls somewhere in the middle: nothing is unfixable, but its still more work that I'd have to do with a metal model.

-Joe

To my luck I have an old high school friend working at my local game store that told me I can open and inspect my 2 before I purchase them and that he will contact his rep for any replacement parts I might need for them. That being said I still am cringing at going to the shop to inspect and pick up my marines.I can't stress how much I am not a fan of Finecast, I am being as nice and professional as possible about that, I have started hording any and all metal minis I can ass I see myself not buying any Finecast I don't "have" to. Almost every piece me and my friend have randomly inspected, Opened to check out the minis close up for personal amusement, has been a horrible mess. My serious condolences to the rest of you that have also dealt with this, I can't wait for the day that GW gets Finecast right but till then I weep with the rest of us gamers at their fails on this.

Update:

I've gotten mine partially assembled and cleaned up with the tools. I'll add pictures hopefully tomorrow before I have a go at it with the Liquid GS.

I may have to remove the purity seal on the left portion of the chest (the parchment at least, as it's badly bubbled), and replace the rivet right in the center of the chest... but these are easy enough fixes.

After having looked at some of the examples of poor quality on here, I'd say mine falls somewhere in the middle: nothing is unfixable, but its still more work that I'd have to do with a metal model.

-Joe

No! Not fixes. That's like buying a brand new car (a Ferrari, GW would have us believe) with a broken wing mirror, pulling said mirror off and saying 'I fixed it for you'.

This thread is proof of why I'm not too big a fan of finecast. This was what I was afraid of when I saw this model was finecast.

I know would rather hunt for metal models than risk finecast. Tis a shame as I could see the potential, but in my eyes is not worth the hassle when before I never had an issue with GW models.

Hope yours turns out alright.

So turns out my LGS got some of these models as well, and I was able to pick one up on a whim last night... so I've got a second to convert as the sergeant for my upcoming Aurora Chapter Sternguard squad. The casting on this one was about equal to the previous model I had bought over the weekend- some parts were better, some were worse (the large display base and head were better, but the left arm was worse).

-Joe

I think I got lucky. I too refused to get anything finecrap.. But visiting my local independant stockist earlier today, she had one left and I bought it on a whim forgetting it would be finecrap. After reading this thread, suddenly made me need to inspect the model (hadn't gotten round to opening). But I am pleased to say mine seems to be in really good condition. I only found two air bubbles, and even those are barely noticeable. No warping at all. So I am happy this time. But I concider myself to be lucky.

CTK

Mine had a whole lot of flash, so the opposite problem. Tiny bubbles on the inside left thigh, the ass, and the plasma pistol "Magazine" (which is sadly not fixable because it's so fiddly). Otherwise, It seems I got off lucky. Mostly got it for the banner, which turned out really well, so win there.

Archived