Limited Edition Marine WIP Thread

winterdyne

My replacement arrived this morning. All perfect except a horrendously warped base, helmet and backpack. Rung my local GW where I had taken my original mini and they let me swap the warped bits for the perfect parts from my original. Win!

I am now the prooud owner of a perfect miniature and have to let my fiancée paint it :P (she may enter it in Golden Demon for the funnies).

Man, I feel bad for saying this, but mine came with only a little extra resin on one of the joins. The whole things was actually almost perfect for me. I'm sorry that so many are having problems with this though. That really sucks.

Why feel bad? It's not your fault GW's quality control is rubbish!

My replacement LE CF captain. I'll let the pics do the talking.

http://www.winterdyne.co.uk/maz/images/finecast_review/finecast2/model2_1.jpg

http://www.winterdyne.co.uk/maz/images/finecast_review/finecast2/model2_2.jpg

http://www.winterdyne.co.uk/maz/images/finecast_review/finecast2/model2_3.jpg

http://www.winterdyne.co.uk/maz/images/finecast_review/finecast2/model2_4.jpg

http://www.winterdyne.co.uk/maz/images/finecast_review/finecast2/model2_5.jpg

http://www.winterdyne.co.uk/maz/images/finecast_review/finecast2/model2_6.jpg

http://www.winterdyne.co.uk/maz/images/finecast_review/finecast2/model2_7.jpg

I received my two yesterday (one to do up on the nice big base for display, and one to play games with). Nothing too major on either. I had the thin spots in both bases, some loss of detail in one of the bases, a couple of weird mold lines on the powerfist and one of the legs, some loss of detail on the crux on the powerfist and on the elbow guard on the powerfist arm. If it were one or two of these issues on their own I'd probably just fix it and go about my day, but there are enough small issues I think to warrant me asking for at least one replacement out of the two. Anyone else having the loss of detail with the crux on the powerfist? Seemed kind of consistent that on both of the models...

I got a perfect one, most beautiful mini I've seen, the detail is incredible. However, it is my first experience with a GOOD finecast mini...every single one I've ever had was garbage...except this one.

My Forgeworld experience hasn't been much better than my Finecast experience. I've had perfect Forgeworld, but roughly half of them were pretty bad ones that I've had to return because I wanted to use them for painting competitions and the lack of detail was not acceptable. All in all, resin miniatures have been a hit and miss for me. I've seen perfect Finecasts in the clear blisters, and I'd buy those in the store, but not online. It's just too risky.

I find the worst I get with FW is either mould slip, or 'soft' detail, and occasionally mould tear artifacts in deep recesses. I've usually had good-to-excellent replacements (only suffering multiple return syndrom on a few parts of a Warhound I'm doing). Finecast however, the replacements are freqently as bad or worse. I don't mind paying a garage-kit premium, if I'm looked after like a garage-kit customer (like Forgeworld do). From mainstream GW, I expect better.

I lucked out on the four I picked up from my LGS ( I do a lot of business/contract work through them, plus they like my money "Shut up and take it!". ). Looking forward to what you can do with the one you snagged Winterdyne.

As for myself, bits to the bits god.

Well, we'll see what number 3 (technically 4) is like... When/if I get a good one, it'll be painted to competition standard (maybe for GD this year, if not it'll go in next year). If I don't get a good one, I'll use the refund cash on something else in Finecast and ride the returns train on that too, until I'm sent something worth pointing a brush at.

Fourth time's a charm?

Clearly my reading comprehension sucks nuts, thought you picked up a worthwhile one.

Hopefully you pick one up that's worthwhile, the whole swapping thing must be incredibly frustrating.

Nah, it was frustrating on the Captain Stern. This time round I knew *exactly* what was gonna happen, and I'm going about it quite cheerfully. At the end of the day, it's just costing GW sales. Already £80 worth of sales down, you'd think perhaps they might make an effort and have a stock of decent casts for picky bastards* like me. If everyone did this, they'd have no choice but to up the quality or go back to metal. Either is fine with me.

*: Not that I'm being picky per se, I'm just not going to lower the standard of what I consider acceptable for the sake of convenience anymore.

When it comes down to it, GW stuff is pretty much a luxury, you definitely want to get what you pay for.

No need to justify being picky, who wants to pay that much for a hole riddled piece of fail?

I remember that Captain Stern situation of yours. . . man, that was pure BS.

I got my two today, and save for the odd tiny bubble, I got two good ones.

Sorry that people are having bad examples though, it's beyond a joke and GW need to grip this fail cast situation before its gets silly

i emailed custserv yesterday for mine, no response still.

Likewise for me Brother, I feel that they're rather swamped with emails of displeasure on the subject of Finecast. We'll probably get a reply at the end of the week.

I'm decided that with the 2 I currently have, I'm going to get to work on repairing as much as I can, and making one of them A unique Pedro Kantor character for my Vanquishers chapter, as his storm bolter arm and backpack fit perfectly onto the model and paint the other one up in the colours of the Crimson Fists since the quality of the two I have are in no way worthy of giving to my friend as a gift.

Looks like it's back to Operation Reclamation for me.

Cambrius

• 3 weeks later...

An update from me after a few weeks:

Turns out my first email never came through after phoning GW Customer Services to check up to see if they did. I sent the email again at the start of this week and today I received two new full sets of the 25th Anniversary models with next to no flaws and a major improvement in detailing and quality! :tu:

My other 2 earlier models are being given some love, one has become my counts as Pedro Kantor and looks super sweet (expect piccies in the future in my LPC thread), whilst the other I'll be saving to make and paint when my painting skills have improved over time.

So all in all, silver lining and a positive ending to it all. :)

Cambrius

• 1 month later...

Just to update this; I am currently waiting for replacement 6 (I think - I've lost count) to arrive. Nearly 2 months in; still no joy. Taking longer and longer to get replacements.

I will not request a refund. I want a good cast (fixable with minimal Liquid GS work only), and I don't care how many it takes, or how long.

I know this thread is a bit old, but I have to say, I work with, and produce, resin a lot across various sci fi models, and this looks like a poorly cast garage kit to me. I could do as good, if not better, and I am not a caster. What this looks like to me is that they made the vent lines in the wrong areas, on top of details instead of along edges, as well as not de-gassing the resin and having it under pressure while casting, and possibly just using cheap or old resin. A whole slue of rookie mistakes that you could pretty much learn via internet tutorials these days.

They should have stuck with metal... good luck with your replacement.

Finecast (and some Forgeworld products) are spin cast, not pressure cast at all. I doubt there's any degassing of either mould or material. The FW Skinwolf I received today is the first spincast model I've had from them, and it's quite borked too. I don't think this process is in any way suitable. :)

Finecast (and some Forgeworld products) are spin cast, not pressure cast at all. I doubt there's any degassing of either mould or material. The FW Skinwolf I received today is the first spincast model I've had from them, and it's quite borked too. I don't think this process is in any way suitable. :)

lol centrifugal casting is for metal. I don't think I know a single caster that uses that technique for resin... hmm I should break out my old spin-caster... inherited it from my Dad's dental lab equipment. Haven't used it since I was a kid.

The extreme warping is most likely from them not leaving the resin in the mold long enough, or just plain not knowing the cure time of said resin (or dare I say not mixing it correctly). Sounds like they have their old metal casters doing the resin casting, and it's not translating over well.

Archived