Artwork: Venerable Strike Cruiser

Hey everyone!

It's been ages since I posted anything, so I figured I would throw this out there.

I haven't made an image or been remotely creative for the longest time now, so thinking that I really needed the practice I grabbed the chance when I needed an image for my Guardian Angels Chapter's Venerable Emperor class Strike Cruiser, for some background material for my gaming group the other day. - Threw this together in Photoshop in approximately four, maybe four and a half hours, and I'm out of practice, so it's not my best, but I think it gets the idea across and I figured I would share as these ancient and venerable ship types get far to little attention. ^_^

http://www.codexguardianangels.com/temp_material/2nd-co-venerable-strike-cruiser.jpg

Cheers!

Pssh. Out of practice or not, I think the picture looks fantastic. Quite atmospheric. I love how the ship's own ornateness, its structural beauty, is, in a sense, at war with the sublimity of space's vastness; it's a very poignant contrast.

Plus, SPACE SHIP! I wish more people would try to capture this aspect of the 40k verse in art.

On another note, I thought an Emperor class ship was a battleship; that's a little big for a light cruiser class Strike Cruiser, right?

On another note, I thought an Emperor class ship was a battleship; that's a little big for a light cruiser class Strike Cruiser, right?

By the look of it it's based on the old Emperor Class from Space Fleet (the precurser to BFG).

Cracking image by the way, Greyall.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm glad you like the image! :huh:

It is indeed based on the Space Fleet Emperor Class Battleship, which can be seen here:

http://www.solegends.com/citsfleet/imperial.htm

I'm not entierly sure, but I believe the ships back then were smaller than now, so I called it a Venerable Strike Cruiser rather than a Battle Barge. - That's what I'm going with in my own Chapter's fluff anyway.

He, he. Don't worry about it Olisredan! - People get my nick wrong all the time. ;)

By the look of it it's based on the old Emperor Class from Space Fleet (the precurser to BFG).

It is indeed based on the Space Fleet Emperor Class Battleship, which can be seen here:

http://www.solegends.com/citsfleet/imperial.htm

I'm not entierly sure, but I believe the ships back then were smaller than now, so I called it a Venerable Strike Cruiser rather than a Battle Barge. - That's what I'm going with in my own Chapter's fluff anyway.

Ah, now I understand. Pretty cool that you decided to use such an old model to represent a "Venerable Strike Cruiser." It seems an appropriate choice.

Archived