Best place for plasma cannons?

AGPO

I've inherited three plasma cannon wielding marines from a friend and want to add them to my Angels Sanguine. Most of the games I play are against power armour (CSM and GK), Necrons or Nids. Option one is to take two of them in a Sternguard squad with a few combi plasmas scattered through. However, I'm worried this makes my Sternguard Squad less flexible and also wastes the special issue ammo I'm paying for. The next option is to put one more of them in tactical squads with a plasma gunner as my special weapon. The last option is to concentrate all three and another heavy weapon (either another PC, a lascannon or a missile launcher) in a devastator squad, which gives me concentrated fire but makes for a very expensive squad.

I'm not a very experienced gamer, as I haven't played much 40k in the last six years. Which of these options would be best?

Personally I lean towards Tac squads. You can spread your templates out that way abit. Alternatively a Plasma Heavy Dev squad can be quite good as well.

There are only a very few times that heavy weapons are useful in Sternguard squads (in the broadest most sense) and one of those is as cheap heavy weapon bearing squads instead of Devs. If for example your Heavy slots are already filled.

Overall Tac squads and Devs are definitely the winners especially with our cheaper Dev Squads.

Archived