of dreads and dakka

hobointherain

There's probably a post way back somewhere similar to this but here goes;

I'm running a pretty shooty army, lots of razorbacks and preds etc. and I have the urge to add some extra firepower in the shape of a dread.

The obvious choice for a shooty army is the rifleman, but is there another alternative that may suit my style of army better?

Also, should I shoot for venerable, standard or ironclad? points aren't really a problem.

thanks brothers

people will prpbably post up the rifleman dread, (2 twin autocannons) but for pure dakka you cant beat assault cannon and twin autocannon paired together.

i believe idaho callsit the heavy gunner.. since thats a cool name i think it should stick.

Yeh I suspected as much, I'm probably gonna stick with the rifleman. Just curious if anyone had any other preferences like maybe the plasma cannon or somethin else? I cant see the point in paying extra for the venerable dread just for the reroll so probs gonna stick with the regular dread too

For amount of shots the heavy gunner wins hands down, as GC08 has already said. 2 TL-S7 shots and 4 S6 shots allows it to threaten at range while closing the gap, before being able to totally dismantle units when close.

However, most will recommend the rifleman, trading two shots for increased strength and twin-linkage and range on the two shots it didn't trade out, 4 TL-S7 shots are pretty awesome for taking apart transports.

I run a Plasma Cannon and ML dread to reasonable effect. The PC and Frag are great for infantry killing and the Krak is only one shot but its S8 to take out vehicles unlike the Autocannon which is S7 2 shots. But overal I dont miss my rilfeman (awful conversion) because hey every tom,dick and harry have 1-2 riflemen dreads. I prefer to run the less seen loadouts on dreads. Adds something to the army.

I run a Plasma Cannon and ML dread to reasonable effect. The PC and Frag are great for infantry killing and the Krak is only one shot but its S8 to take out vehicles unlike the Autocannon which is S7 2 shots.

Don't agree with the krak statement, S7 is plenty good for taking out a lot of vehicles, and two S7 twin-linked shots is better than one S8 non-twin-linked shot a lot of the time.

But I agree with the last bit of your post, I've stopped taking Rifleman since a lot of people started using them. Also, doesn't seem very Dreadnoughty to me.

I run a Plasma Cannon and ML dread to reasonable effect. The PC and Frag are great for infantry killing and the Krak is only one shot but its S8 to take out vehicles unlike the Autocannon which is S7 2 shots.

Don't agree with the krak statement, S7 is plenty good for taking out a lot of vehicles, and two S7 twin-linked shots is better than one S8 non-twin-linked shot a lot of the time.

But I agree with the last bit of your post, I've stopped taking Rifleman since a lot of people started using them. Also, doesn't seem very Dreadnoughty to me.

It does seem Dreadnoughty to me, but that's probably a result of my background in BattleTech, where the term Rifleman comes from. Plus, apparently I'm in a minority where I am -- the last time I saw a rifleman dread not my own was years ago. I'm also one of only two regular C:SM players at my LGS; we have a third who runs 'em every now and then, but concentrates on pushing BTs across the table. Are they really that prevalent elsewhere?

I just always seemed to think Dreads should have the combat arm as well, but maybe that's just me. That being said I still take the Rifleman above other versions, it fills a needed role in the army.

Fortunately we're at a bit of a lull in Rifleman Dreads in the area at the moment, especially as the local Puri/psyfle spam player has switched to Vulkan for now. But they were everywhere, especially in Grey Knight armies.

especially in Grey Knight armies.

ive found this to be true, ive only met a couple of players who take dreadknights, and those who do run them alongside draigowing.

anyone running part paladin armies or using MSU razorspam loads up on these.. i know one chap who ran 4 against me in a single 1750 game, damn GK and thier multi FOC dreadnoughts

Ironclads are not very shooty, unless you give them a Hurrican bolter and 2 HK missiles, but even then they are more suited for tearing things up with their hands.

I personally like Assault cannon/HF flamer dreads. Then again I like to get up close and personal with my dreads B)

If you ever read Muhgi's battle reports in Liber Victorum, he makes good use of venerable las/ missile dreads.

Really its all down to your preference and strategy.

I'd like to suggest a venerable plasma cannon dread with extra armor.

Plasma cannon's scatter is mitigated by venerable's BS. Plasma canons ignore FnP, threaten everything from light armor to all troops/infantry, monstruous creatures and especially clusters of them and have great range.

Storm bolter is taken for extra volume of fire, range and the venerable's BS gives it an 83% chance to hit with both shots.

Venerable with extra armor allows you to better decide whether to invoke a damage table reroll or not, and helps if either the initial damage table roll or the reroll are stunned or shaken results.

It retains the dreadnought's DCCW, something I consider essential.

All IMO and if points truly are of no concern.

especially in Grey Knight armies.

ive found this to be true, ive only met a couple of players who take dreadknights, and those who do run them alongside draigowing.

anyone running part paladin armies or using MSU razorspam loads up on these.. i know one chap who ran 4 against me in a single 1750 game, damn GK and thier multi FOC dreadnoughts

One of my mates runs for his Grey Knights a Purifier list, with Crowe, 3 Purifier squads with two psycannons in Rhinos, and 4 psyfleman Dreads, two are Vens, with a bit of support. That amount of firepower is horrifying for almost any army, the only army I've seen do well against it is an Imperial Guard tank army with alpha strike Vendettas and AV14 Leman Russ variants, and my own 1st and 10th list which stacks up well to it thanks to the Terminator armour and lack of transports.

@Grey Mage, that's sort of the reason I said they are not Dreadnoughty, and I am considering using a half-Rifleman Dread, that CCW could come in handy every now and then.

I prefer to keep the CCW on my dreads- I feel it makes them more of an all around threat.

Me too. I have 5 dreads, only one has no CCW (a plasma cannon/ML dread that probably would become a rifleman if I had the bits and they weren't so common anyway).

Of course, 3 of my 5 dreads have 2 CCWs, so they really aren't all around threats.

For pure Dakka, I like the Assault cannon and Twin Auto dread idea.

Hobo: would you consider a mortis patter contemptor? It's ForgeWorld, but "40k ok". It's also pricey (points and real $$ wise).....but who doesn't like 12 S6 rending shots hitting on 2's? Plus cyclone ML if you want.

;)

I must admit the mortis pattern contemptor with the twin assault cannons looks awesome! I'm half tempted to forget the regular dread in favour of a contemptor, my chapter is an iron hands successor with strong Ad Mech links so it fits well enough fluff wise!

Pure firepower you should look to Twin linked autocannon and Assault Cannon if you are operating the Dreadnought aggressively/at close ranges, or the dual twin linked autocannons if you operate further ranges.

However, in the right list, one with several Tacticals with Lascannons and maybe some other vehicles with Lascannons, a Dreadnought with a Lascannon is golden, with either a Missile Launcher for additional punch (2 dice is better than 1 against transports!) or a Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon (for versatility).

When using the Plasma Cannon, I find it doesn't really pair up very well with any weapon system, so I'd take it on a DCCW Dread.

I've had great milage out of the Assault Cannon/Autocannon "Heavy Gunner". It plinks away with damage every turn it's operating and you will only be disappointed if someone targets it first every game.

Incidently, Heavy Gunner was a friendly play on words I coined because people spoke of the "Rifleman" and the logical extension lead to Heavy Gunner since it is the machine gunner to the assault rifleman...

Ive had some good success using MM/ML at medium range - i have the krak and H+K for light transport, MM for heavy armour/low invuln. and other walkers and while it doesnt look so great on paper ive found its great at mid field support whatever is needed from turn 2-6.

Im also a fan of the heavy gunner dread, amazingly shooty.

A HK missile is one of the vehicle upgrades; it's a S:8 AP:3 single shot missile that has unlimited range. "HK" = hunter killer.

Thought so. I was confused because it was listed alongside the MM/ML Dread buildout, and the only Dread that can take HKs is the Ironclad, which can't take ML/MM. :P

Archived