Squad markings

Ragnars Claw

Hi guys,

New BA Player here after many years using wolves. I have a couple of questions regarding squad markings.

1. Do BA not paint the rims of their shoulder pads in their company colours?

2. Do they use 'tactical' markings on their right pads (like the arrow for tactical marines or the cross for assault marines etc) or just use the blood drop?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the Blood Angels mate!

1. No. BA don't use codex markings. In 2nd ed the regular marine had red shoulder pad with black trims, while sergeants had the shoulder pad colours reversed, black pad with red trim. The company is defined by the blood drop on the right shoulder pad, where codex chapters depict the type of squad (arrows symbols). Nowadays the regular marines have just red shoulder pads, while sergeants paint theirs black with the red trim.

2. In order to differentiate the type of squad BA paint their helmets. Red for tactical, yellow for assault and blue for devastator.

Also, BA depict the squad symbol (the squad's number in the certain company) on the right kneepad.

The only BA successor chapter that uses codex insignia are the Blood Drinkers, but I'm not sure if they also paint the shoulder trims in company colours (only seen yellow ones).

I hope this helps.

2nd edition colour scheme was my favourite because it screamed "BLOOD ANGEL" more than the current scheme. I agree you should go for that one. I did, except that I use white chest eagle (I like the look better).

The only issue you're going to have with the new BA bits is that putting the Squad (on the knee) Markings is nearly impossible since they are now covered in iconography. You can scrape it off I guess but I just can't force myself to do it. Or you can include the squad markings on the handful of knees that do have that spot open. And the rest elsewhere i guess but that just aint right...

Some models were depicted with the squad marking on their right outer shin, when there were no place on their kneepad.

As far as I remember, no sources nor quotes, red pad/black trim is the 'dress code' for Blood Angels. The red with red is used in prolonged campaigns to make maintenance easier.

Damn, ninja'd! Took too long finding a pic:

A word about schools. In 1st edition GW made a big song and dance about dress vs campaign schemes - the BA's parade uniform had black trims and yellow/gold chest eagle and would they often wear these to battle but they would also often go to battle with simplified schemes:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r155/khromash/ba1st.jpg

In 3rd edition the Eavy Metal department decided to skip the black trims but the IA art showed both suggesting that rather than 'changing' they simply reverted to the old fluff.. thereby making the 'new' skool actually the old skool :lol:

The only BA successor chapter that uses codex insignia are the Blood Drinkers, but I'm not sure if they also paint the shoulder trims in company colours (only seen yellow ones).

Blood Drinkers are stated to be the only successor to use the marking structure EXACTLY as laid down in the codex - Flesh Tearers, Angels Sanguine and Lamenters all use codex squad insignia but use deviant company markings.

Wow i thought i was all Elite cause i started Blood Angels in 2nd edition and i tried to adhere (as close as possible) to the old scheme. But you just blew me out of the water! I thought GW got lazy with the colour scheme or perhaps simplified it for new players in 3rd edition. Because of that i had no respect for the that colour scheme until now! And I'm a huge fan of the honour markings on the forearms too. Thanks guys

Wow, Vodunius provided a good insight on the BA insignia. I never could understand why the marines in 3rd ed codex had demonstrated both colour schemes.

I also had a question related to OP. Do Honour Guard use any squad marking? Or since they are not the part of official organization chart, they use none? I also thought that since HG are seconded from different squads and companies, they retain their initial markings.

I'm creating my own successor chapter.

I am thinking about changing things up a bit.

I like how sergeants have red helmets in the Codex and how the Blood Angels squads are marked using different colors, but I don't want to paint the whole helmet a color that might not go with my scheme.

I think I'm going to paint a stripe on the top of the helmet that marks what type of unit the model is in. I will probably paint half of the stripe red for sergeants. I also think I'm going to paint the right gauntlet in the company color so that I am free to use squad type decals on the right shoulder pad.

I'm also considering painting squad numbers on the left shin guard in the company color as there is a bit more room to get the job done.

Thoughts?

For the Record, My paint scheme is Dwarf Bronze Armour - inked black, Red Shoulder Pads, White Trim, Silver Details

Archived