Kabuki Miniatures Night Haunter mini

Sadly, a good paintjob does not a great miniature make.

The weird wings, the disproportionate armour sections, the claws, the collar, not to mention the armour's iconography which has little to do with Legion VIII. :D

I'll say it: It's wrong.

Kurze was not a pretty man, he was hollow-faced and haunted; at his best he could have been called regal and stern - this guy looks more like pre-Abyss Raziel with Warcraft-style armour. And those things on that guy's hands, what are they supposed to be, chopsticks? They sure as heck don't look like claws to me.

It's a lovely paintjob, yes, but no way could that model pass for the Lord of the Night. Do not want.

Odsox

Not fond, certainly not as a representation of Night Haunter. I've always envisaged him as being much dirtier and more feral than that, even in full ceremonial plate; tall and hunched over, face gaunt and sorrowful...personally, I think any miniature representation of Night Haunter should be at pains to hide his face, either behind a veil of his hair -only his eyes shining through-, or some sort of ritual skull mask.

Stunning paint job, mind.

Great paintjob, and generally the sculpting is quite nice technically, but I think some design decisions were very unfortunate.

First off, straight claws like that almost never work. There is a reason why you never see an animal with straight claws. They are not not very good, and having them straight removes a lot of that brutal, feral feeling that claws generally give.

I assume the wings and backpack are supposed to represent a sort of jump pack? I'm not sure, but I think he would look better without the jump pack, or a more mechanical looking one if he is supposed to have a jump pack.

The warcraftish breast plate is also unfortunate if the audience is 40k fans, because it clashes quite a bit with the general 40k aesthetics. But I'm sure quite a bit of people will buy it. However, I think it could have been better designed for the target audience. But in itself, its a nice sculpt (except the wings, which look a bit like an afterthought. I know how hard wings are to sculpt, but they do stand out as being of a lower quality than the rest.)

Yep, sure is a good thing that Kabuki didn't really make Konrad Curze, the Night Haunter. That could lead to difficulties with GW's obviously well-paid legal team.

This Dark Knight of theirs is obviously Konfab Curse, the Night Hunter. Don't make him poke you with his chopstick fingers! And you don't want to know what comes out of that crazy, pipe organ looking thing on his back....

Archived