Scout spam!

knife&fork

Recently I went up against a chaos space marine list running ,among other things, 30 infiltrating Chosen. Playing DoA it didn't make a lot of difference to me but it made for an interesting game none the less. At first I thought about simply running something similar using my models and the CSM codex, or perhaps using C:SM and captain Shrike . But in the end I think it's much more satisfying to put a little more effort in and work something unusual out of our own 'dex.

Since we don't have infiltrating marines, scouts will have to do.

(Let me state right away that I'm fully aware that this isn't the best possible way to run the BA dex. I'm simply exploring a different way to play it.)

I'm not a fan of sniper scouts myself, so let's go with something more CC oriented. (this might stray a bit into list-territory but I'll try to keep it neat and relevant)

10*scouts

powerfist, combi melta, on the sergeant

shotguns/bp+CCW/bolter on the scouts

If we max out our troop slots with these we end up with 1050 pts. That's 60 infiltrating almost-marines and quite a lot of points to spare if we aim for a common level like 1750.

So how do we go from here to buff the scouts and what units do we need to fill the gaps?

We obviously can't attach any characters if we want to infiltrate or outflank and the scouts themselves can't get transports and are lacking in the tankbustin' department.

For buffs we can either get them from two of our HQs (Tycho or Astorath) or we can have them join later in the form of priests, librarians or chaplains, using jump packs, bikes or drop pods. Bikes and pods have the obvious advantage of being available far in on the board from turn 1.

Baal predators can keep up thanks to scout and should be able to help with both crowd control and tank hunting.

What do you guys think? Where do we find the synergy to make the most of our young recruits?

See I've been thinking about the whole in your face approach recently and it works, but sadly only in bigger games. In this case Baal Preds are the bomb. For that extra punch stick beacons on some squads and drop a Redeemer/Crusader stuffed full of terminators with thunder hammers all around. Maybe even a priest in TDA, and a chaplain in TDA. or if you can just the scouts and 3 Storm Ravens with Furiosos. hmmm....I may have to look into the whole scout thing. that will really give me alot more points...and if you have some left over a few scout bikers....hmmm...

Archived