Test Model for New Dark Angels

PhDGamer

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking around for a while, but never post. I'm working on a scheme for some new Dark Angels, and I wanted a little feedback. Here it is:

gallery_44197_7020_506.jpg

gallery_44197_7020_38249.jpg

I'm pretty happy with it, but I'm a little worried the green gets too bright. These aren't Salamanders, after all. I'm also wondering how good the scratches look.

Any tips on photography would be much appreciated. I do have a decent camera, so I'm afraid the fault doesn't lie with the tools. I'm also open to suggestions on what company my new marines should belong to.

Thanks,

Ben

This looks awesome, really love the weathering effect, and the green is perfect, dark and broody, thats how we like it :)

This looks awesome, really love the weathering effect, and the green is perfect, dark and broody, thats how we like it :D

This looks awesome, really love the weathering effect, and the green is perfect, dark and broody, thats how we like it :D

Welcome to the Rock brother,

REALLY nice recipe for your green armour and black weapon.

While I'm not a huge fan of excessive scratches you've done a brilliant and subtle job and displaying your skill around here will be appreciated by all I'm sure.

Loving the yellow eyes!!!

I like 3rd Company because they are the 'Senior' Battle Company ;) , you just need to choose a scheme that you like and run with it (or mix your units up from different Companies, attaching units is normal too).

stobz

Looks great so far, the really dark and brooding base really does help offset and Darken the green on the armour.

As for choosing a company, definitely think about which of the symbols/heraldry you like best, as it will end up appearing on most items in the army/vehicles. Personal choice really, as there is very little fluff that differentiates story from company's 3-9, with the 3rd having the most GW publications attached to them.

Very, very nice. It'd be good to work chapter and squad markings in before you do the weathering just because you cant just stick them on now...

Golden Daemon worthy... Now the question is how long did that take you?

I don't think the highlighting is too bright, but the base color might be... I love the scratches, although they look more like a funky camoflage scheme, probably because there are so many of them, and because there's not one instance of actual damage to the armor under those scratches...all the battle damage is paint-deep...?

Thanks everyone for the comments and encouragement--helps me want to keep painting...

March10k, I'll try and darken the mid-tone down a little for the squad I'm working on. I think it will help give the whole model more depth, especially the legs and lower torso. Yes, all the battle damage is paint. I have a hard time cutting into the model for some reason. If it's paint, I know I can always just paint over it, I guess.

Keith, the green is a variation on the standard DA green/snot green recipe that a lot of folks seem to use. I shaded it a little with a 2:1 mix of liche purple:chaos black, which I think gives the model a little more depth. I also did the preliminary highlights w/ an airbrush, to minimize the work of blending later on. The scratches are just a combination of the shade color and the brightest highlight.

Brother Dean, it probably took me 2-3 hours from start to finish. I hope to trim some time off that once I get the hang of the blending technique--this was my first time really trying to use it.

I'll start a new thread once my paint order comes in and I get to work on my first squad. Thanks again!

Not to shamelessly promote the third company, but they are pretty cool.

WARNING SELF PROMOTION as a matter of fact, I have a pretty decent story on the third that you may want to see

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=238765

Also very nice scheme. I like it!! Unfortunately for myself, I'm too lazy to repaint all marines

Archived