Dark Wardens Honor Guard

• 1 month later...
Master Commander Ajax these dudes are awesome!!!!!! I love the name, got a really grim ring to it, is it a DIY Chapter? I like the heads you have used, I think some of the heads are actually too small scale wise anyways so these guys look fab! As Andrew J stated, love the use of storm bolters! Your choice of armour & helms compliment each other quite well & I love the paint job mate! Will defo be following this thread with great interest :lol: !

@Brother Syth. Thanks, I hadn’t come across that tutorial yet.

@alejandrinus. Indeed, there colour scheme is Black and Gold though Only for the Honour Guard. The other Marines are just black with Gold used as a spot colour throughout the army as a way of Identifying someone important.

@Dorns padawan. Glad you like them! Yes they are a D.I.Y. chapter. It took me awhile to come up with a name but I eventually settled on Dark Wardens and based their fluff around Anglo-Saxon Culture.

Thank you all for your kind words! You can expect an update within the next few days!

THE EMPERORS WRATH

@LoganGrimnar42. Glad you like them. The Rivets are Grant line Rivets usually used by railway modelers and I can happily say that they are the most useful purchase I have ever made! They come in several different shapes and sizes and have a million uses aswell as being the best way to add rivets I have yet come across. According to my Fluff they are all company champions! This unit is made up of a champion from each of the eight Grand companies and act as envoys aswell as bodyguards to the Lord Commander (Chapter Master).

Heres a link to the Grant Line website.

Heres an update picture of the Honour Guard.

gallery_33348_7028_2125671.jpg

As you can see I've finished the Gold and most of the details. Still gotta highlight the black and do the power weapons but so far so good. I'm also going to do a marble effect on the standard bearer though I'm not sure how yet.

Thanks for reading guys!

Thanks for the replies everyone!

The shades you achieved with that gold is very nice and smooth, man. Great job on that, may I ask how you did it?

I'm glad you like them! I'm going to do a step by step tutorial with photos on my Blog within the next few weeks but the basic recipe is as follows;

1. Chaos Black undercoat.

2. Base with two thin layers of 50/50 Scorched brown and Shinning gold.

3. Devlan Mud wash.

4. Layer with 50/50 Scorched brown and Shinning gold.

5. layer with two to three thinned layers of Shinning gold.

6. Line highlight with 30/70 Shinning gold and Mithril silver.

7. 'dot' highlight with Mithril silver on the the most prominent areas.

Its important to use thin layers as the metalic paints can get quite thick (I personally painted the two models too the right too thickly when compared to the two on the left).

I also have to give credit to Rev over at Stahly's Tale of Painters who pointed me in the Direction of an old White Dwarf article which detailed the process.

@Dorns padawan. Thanks mate. I will be leaving the bolter casings black. I briefly considered doing them gold but thought that might look a bit too much!

Thanks for your comments guys, there most appreciated.

Heres a quick snap I forgot to post the other day.

gallery_33348_7028_980520.jpg

Its a quick shot of a scabbard I made for the standard bearer out of plasti-card and the Rivets I mentioned earlier. Its a poor photo but it will have to do!

THE EMPERORS WRATH

• 3 weeks later...

Heres a photo of where I'm up to with the Honour Guard.

gallery_33348_7028_1448650.jpg

I've come to a stop with these guys until I can figure out how to strip the paint off of there swords. Shouldn't be too long till I get it done though. Got the banner to do as well and then there near enough done.

Archived