4 plasma cannons.

Montuhotep

I would love to run something like this but I frequently play against Mechdar with several Wave Serpents and Fire Prisms...

How would everyone here deal with something like that when running 4xPC?

Load up on anti-AV which is around S8, such as missile launchers, autocannons, and melta. Use the long range weapons to pop as many transports as possible at the start of each shooting phase, then target the juiciest or most threatening target with the PC devs. Use multi-meltas (preferably vehicle based) and meltaguns once the tanks get in range. I know Eldar have anti-melta and reduce-to-S8 equipment (holofields?), but it's still the best strength you can get and AP1.

For the OP:

Plasma cannon devs can work great if you compliment them with dedicated long and short range tank busters to deal with AV targets. Lots of options there with combi-preds in heavy support slots, riflemen dreads in elites, along with speeders of different varieties and multi-melta attack bikes in fast attack slots. The PC devs work well with another squad of devs packing ML.

As compared to PC on vehicles, like dreads, the devs can take some losses with a 10-strong squad and keep shooting, while are most likely not to fail morale tests if they take enough casualties. While a vehicle can be stopped from shooting or even destroyed with one good shot from an opponent, cover or not.

I'd say make two squads of devs, one with 4 PC and 4 ML in the other. I've used something similar over a long period of time with ML devs and combat squaded PC tacticals, who usually achieve fantastic results.

My apologies but in that case your opponents are simply using comparatively weak lists.

4xPlasCans have their place and the key is to know where, when and how to use them- just like every other weapon in every other codex. Your meta is not my meta, and I'll leave it at that. ^_^

Personally, given the OP's description of his local meta, I don't think PlasCans are the best fit for him since they're a bit overkill for GEQ opponents, but they'll still wreck Guard, Nid, and DEldar face.

Well, do bear in mind that Dark Eldar and Nids can get FnP quite easily, and so plasma cannons have something that missile launchers and heavy bolter don't, the ability to deny FnP saves, regardless of toughness.

Do missile launchers not ignore FNP on DE/Nid troops? I thought if they had a 3+ save, and your gun is AP3, it ignores FNP?

FNP is only ignored by AP1/2 weapons, or if a weapon is double the target's toughness. In the case of DE a krak missile will negate FNP as it is S8, not because it is AP3. Same goes for nids like gaunts and warriors. However a tervigon with FNP (as an example) will have its armor negated by the AP3 krak but it will get FNP since S8 is not double its T6.

I should have been clearer there. Krak missiles ignore FnP a lot for being double strength over toughness, however I was referring to frag missiles, which would only ignore FnP if the target were T2.

Now, as those armies, Nids and Dark Eldar, have a lot of infantry in them typically, then blast weapons will often be handy, so my point was against mass FnP regular infantry then plasma will be better, regardless of cover.

However, against vehicles, MCs, and Warrior type creatures krak missiles will be better, so perhaps a healthy of mix of both would be handy.

Archived