Odin's Guard WIP

Nicko

Just recently got back into the hobby and am building my first SM army so I figured I'd post my progress here as I go.

My DIY chapter is tentatively called "Odin's Guard." I have a rough idea of the fluff and may put pen to paper on it eventually. In the meantime, suffice it to say I wanted a Norse theme with something less feral that Space Wolves (though I may start a SW contingent eventually).

I've got a fairly large force I'm looking to assemble and paint, so trying to keep the assembly and painting process fairly quick. I'm not spending a ton of time shaving mold lines and am leaving edging for later, when I'm more comfortable and steady with the brush. Feedback is welcome though. Always looking for tips to improve my painting and modeling.

So here we go, my first completed Space Marine (test model). More to come (hopefully soon).

gallery_66102_7029_68627.jpg

gallery_66102_7029_3460.jpg

gallery_66102_7029_1982.jpg

A few more angles in the album, but those are the main views.

Any tips on using the snow flocking? Not sure if my pva glue is just getting old or if I just haven't got the hang of it yet, but it seems a little... off? I don't really want just solid snow. I like the effect of dirt and grass peeking out (a SM contingent marching through is going to trample the snow and leave some stuff poking through), but it still seems a little off. Not sure exactly what I don't like about it. Any suggestions or ideas welcome!

Was able to get some more work done tonight. I've got a combat squad just about wrapped up. Some touchup needed on the chapter insignias, but other than that they're about done.

gallery_66102_7029_58839.jpg

gallery_66102_7029_27933.jpg

gallery_66102_7029_127182.jpg

Also got a bunch of units primed. The Techmarine probably won't ever make it onto the field but I like the models a lot so wanted to get one painted up.

Here's what I'm working with so far. A little tough to see since they're all black at the moment, but there you go.

gallery_66102_7029_121996.jpg

Time to turn in, maybe get some more done tomorrow.

-Nick

Thanks, guys!

Nice freehand on the valknuts. The sig rune is the company mark, correct? And can you tell me why you chose the colors you did?

I'm actually using the runes for squad designations.

Scout - raidho

Tactical - eihwaz (aka sig)

Assault - uruz

Devastator - thurisaz

Veteran - tiwaz

Command - othala

The colors are partially just because I like them, and partially because Odin tends to be associated with deeper blues and grays (black too but I prefer the blue/gray combo).

-Nick

Those snow effects are fantastic. I may have to try that out at some point.

And once I get more of the army assembled I'll post pics.

In the meantime, here's the completed Tac squad.

gallery_66102_7029_26327.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't posted in a while so figured I'd throw an update on here. Haven't painted anything since the first squad but have knocked out a fair bit of the build.

Here's what I have so far:

5 tactical squads

1 devastator squad

1 scout squad

2 terminator squads

captain plus command squad

chaplain

techmarine w/ servitors

ironclad dread

dread

drop pod

3 rhinos

predator

The goal is to build up an entire company plus scouts, vets, and terminators.

gallery_66102_7029_53891.jpg

• 1 month later...

So it's been a while since I've had a chance to work on the army but finally had some time to mess around with the new citadel paints. Here's some pics of a test model. Besides using the new paints, I change up my process as well. On the fence about it at the moment. On the one hand, I like the darker feel of the original models, and that process takes less skill. The freehand insignias are really the only part I really have to focus on. The new process is looking a little sloppy at the moment, though in theory that should get better over time. And while I didn't initially want a brighter army, those lighter colors do make the details pop more. I'm considering going with the brighter scheme for the SM army and then using either a Chaos or Dark Eldar army for a darker project.

Always looking for feedback though so let me know if you have any suggestions or if you like one scheme over the other.

gallery_66102_7029_11061.jpg

gallery_66102_7029_4623.jpg

gallery_66102_7029_14956.jpg

gallery_66102_7029_1428.jpg

Also got some more of the build done. And yes, one of those rhinos tipped back as I was taking the photo.

gallery_66102_7029_20536.jpg

I'm now up to:

- 6X 10-man tac w/ rhino

- 2X 10-man dev

- 2X 10-man assault

- 8-man hammernator w/ crusader

- 8-man terminator

- 10-man scout

- captain w/ command squad & razorback

- chaplain w/ jump

- techmarine w/ servitors

- predator

- land raider

- whirlwind

- vindicator

- ironclad dread w/ drop pod

- dreadnought

That's a lot of unpainted plastic brother, better get swinging that paintbrush as I really like the look of your painted marines so, get cracking!

And just to be clear, but I really like the darker scheme but go with what feels right for you!

Hey Nicko,

I like the look of both of the schemes, but personally, I do like the look of the original scheme better.

Your force is growing pretty impressive, can't wait to see them finished!

(now I just have to get off my rear end & get mine painted!)

Thanks, guys.

Got the power armor done-ish on another test model using the same process as the first squad, but with the "equivalent" colors from the new range. They're not a perfect match (the blue in particular), but they're fairly close. I did, however, discover I'm not really a big fan of the new dry compounds. They go on a bit too heavy, even when I've pretty much cleared my brush of visible paint. I'll likely go back to using the layer paints to drybrush.

Test model:

gallery_66102_7029_70824.jpg

Side by side - original paint-job on the left for comparison:

gallery_66102_7029_72688.jpg

While going back and forth on the brighter vs. darker conundrum, I decided I wanted both: darker look with details that pop. Sadly, that means I really need to start working on my edge highlighting. Well... maybe not "sadly." If I can start getting decent results with it it'll be worth it, though it will definitely be slowing down my painting process for a bit.

As always, feedback and suggestions welcome!

-Nicko

I decided to use that last test model to try my hand at edge highlighting. Still need to practice a bit more, but overall I'm pretty pleased with the result. I'm definitely sticking with this color scheme and using the highlights to pull out the details.

gallery_66102_7029_50467.jpg

gallery_66102_7029_40073.jpg

gallery_66102_7029_70981.jpg

gallery_66102_7029_35025.jpg

Gotta say, I'm really liking the new basing textures over standard sand and flock.

Thanks, guys.

I probably won't be taking the time to drill the gun barrels given the number of models I want to get through, though the mold lines are starting to get on my nerves a bit. Originally I wasn't going to mess with any lines that weren't interfering with a joint, just to save time. But they're becoming more noticeable with the new dry compounds going on heavier so I may start cleaning them up more.

• 3 weeks later...

Decided to take a little break from the main squads and treat myself with a dreadnought. He's still a work in progress, but I'm really liking this scheme on the larger unit.

gallery_66102_7029_12905.jpg

gallery_66102_7029_2343.jpg

gallery_66102_7029_20496.jpg

gallery_66102_7029_114547.jpg

C&C always welcome.

-Nick

Archived