Effective (Cheap) Melta

Hatefires

Like Eric the Silvercoat said like Iron clad come with a meltagun, Tacical get them for free if you have a 10 man squad. MM bikes, meltagun bikers, Honor guards, MM on land raider cost same as storm bolter. every squad except for assault squads, and vanguards/ terminators get melta weapons. if you go the melta way be sure to has hestan tag along to twin link your MM, master craft your meltaguns :P

Part of it depends what codex you are playing.

10 Space Wolf Grey hunters can get 2 meltaguns.

Sternguard can get every model a combi-meltagun

Honor Guards (Blood Angles) or Command Squads (Codex marines) can get 4 meltaguns and an option of jump packs (BA) or Bikes (SM).

Blood Angels Assault Squads can get 2 meltaguns.

I think as far as cheapness is concerned you'd be looking at the standard Dreadnought at 105pts with a MM standard. However, they tend to want a Drop Pod to get in range quickly, so that brings them to 140pts.

Actually, there's something cheaper, a 5 man Scout squad with combi-melta, which can use infiltrate and Scouts to get into position, although they benefit greatly from a MM Storm to get alpha strikes.

After this you've then got the Ironclad, who has a meltagun as standard at 135pts. As it's even more short ranged then the Dread he definitely needs a Drop Pod, bringing you to 170pts.

Sternguard are also a cheap way to get melta, with a 5 man squad with 2 meltaguns and 3 combi-meltas coming to 150pts, again they need a transport and so you're looking at around 185pts. At this points it's worth looking at Tactical Marines (or equivalent) who can bring melta and scoring to the table, although they won't have as much melta as Sternguard.

I believe a Command squad is then the next cheapest after Sternguard, coming in at 5pts more for a quad melta team. However, they have 4 meltaguns compared to 2 meltas and 3 combis, and so while having less shots initially, they can keep up a constant stream of melta fire throughout the game, especially with FnP. Still need a transport though.

And then it's the Ven Dread, who while more expensive then these options (and still needing a Drop Pod), has a much more accurate melta shot, meaning that is viable to take a Ven Dread with MM despite the high points cost.

And lets not forget Devs, who can pack 4 MMs in a 5 man squad for 150pts, although they definitely need a transport, and must stay stationary once you've got them where they need to be to deploy.

And of course normal bikers that ShinyRhino mentioned.

Hope that's what you were looking for.

I think as far as cheapness is concerned you'd be looking at the standard Dreadnought at 105pts with a MM standard. However, they tend to want a Drop Pod to get in range quickly, so that brings them to 140pts.

[skipping other examples of cheap Meltas/MMs

Actually, cheapest single MultiMelta has to be Space Wolves Long fangs :

- Sergeant, 1xLong Fang, MM : 40pts (50pts if you give the sarge a Meltagun)

Although not effective at all, since they'll die long before they have a target in range, I can't think of anything cheaper? (Inq with a servitor maybe?)

A 10-man tactical squad with a meltagun, multimelta, and combi-melta on the sergeant is a cheap, scoring unit. Put them in a rhino or combat squad them and drop them in a razorback. Since you usually have a tac squad or two in your Space Marine army anyway, why not?

Dreadnought is an excellent source, as has been pointed out.

Guest Drunk Guardian

[skipping other examples of cheap Meltas/MMs

Although not effective at all, since they'll die long before they have a target in range, I can't think of anything cheaper? (Inq with a servitor maybe?)

Not effective unless being drop podded in with Logan Grimnar.

Legion of the Damned can take 2x MM... deep strike + relentless = kinda good.

EDIT: Oh... I think you can get a servitor with a MM for something like 25 points and not even take up a Force Org slot. Might be the cheapest single unit in the game with a MM, but obviously takes an IC to unlock.

-Myst

Though it has been mentioned, a standard MM dread with a drop pod is 140 points. The MM is virtually guaranteed to fire at least once in a game, unless you totally botch the placement of the pod. 105 points for the MM (plus DCCW & SB) and 35 points for insurance that will make it useful. With many other options you can't guarantee that the melta you want will actually get to fire.

Chaos Space Marine Aspiring Champion /w Combi-Melta = 40pts as well.

Chaos Space Marine Aspiring Champion /w Combi-Melta = 40pts as well.

Yes, but mine is a complete unit (one that wears paper armour, I know) that can be deployed without the need of any additional squad mates... And comes with a MM. As I said, for 50pts you have a MM and a Melta, that can shoot at different tanks!

A regular bike squad can have a total of 4 melta shots: 2x MG, Combi-melta on srg. , and MMAB. In a five body/6 wound can give you 3-4 shots for around 195pts. I may be a few off. Making a bike captain and having these as troops is about as cheap as it gets.

Legion of the Damned can take 2x MM... deep strike + relentless = kinda good.

EDIT: Oh... I think you can get a servitor with a MM for something like 25 points and not even take up a Force Org slot. Might be the cheapest single unit in the game with a MM, but obviously takes an IC to unlock.

-Myst

Legion can take ONE Multimelta and ONE meltagun, not two.

Archived