Star Phantoms

Yogi

Lord: Are you sure you wish to undertake this course of action?

Marine: Aye lord.

L: You are aware that in the last millennia none have come away unscathed from the beast that is white paint.

M: Aye lord.

L: If fact all have died horribly and ingloriously.

M: So be it.

L: I commend you bravery.

M: *Steps into the breach*

http://i.imgur.com/fcCNI.jpg

L: Brother you are alive!

M: The things I have seen, you would not believe. Paint, thicker then a battle barge's armour. Fields of warriors, covered in white, in various states of disrepair. All of them forgotten, their glorious battle unsung, doomed to oblivion.

L: I shall gather a bath of simple green at once!

M: No, you shall not. All of us will do battle with white, all of us are to become Star Phantoms.

L: Insanity!

M: No the beast that is white paint will be broken, glorious battle shall occur, and in the end some of us will be victorious.

L: No. It cannot be.

M: Send forth the next warrior. I will tell him of the techniques I learnt, in the hope that he may employ them better then I.

Warrior: I am ready.

http://i.imgur.com/mB2Nl.jpg

Edit: resized picture (i think)

M: Go forth in the Emperor's name.

@ Reyner. I had a good look around at tutorials, and there are a few methods. But I personally wanted to do it from a black undercoat. Astronomican grey over a black undercoat, followed by skull white and then thin chaos black wash. I learnt a lot from that first guy. I hope the next one will be better. But I suspect like most things in life it will take practice, and many many brave grey marines shall have to be sacrificed.

Thats the recipe I formerly used and I can honestly tell you that going from a Black undercoat is a smegging pain!

I've just changed up my White recipe and have found that it looks pretty good - White Stars

My new recipe starts from a White undercoat followed by a liberal drowning in Badab Black (an Adeptus Battlegrey wash would probably work too) and then a 2/3 coats of White (thinned to an almost Semi-Skimmed milk consistency)

Now where a Squad would once take me about a Week to get to tabletop quality (as long as I didn't get sick of them) it now only takes a day or two.

Good luck anyway :nuke:

My new recipe starts from a White undercoat followed by a liberal drowning in Badab Black (an Adeptus Battlegrey wash would probably work too) and then a 2/3 coats of White (thinned to an almost Semi-Skimmed milk consistency)

That's how I did my white marines, looks alright if you drybrush the white after the black wash too or go all out and do a few thin coats.

Just for a little motivation, white from a black primer can be done pretty easy, I just shy away from the washes and just use the lighter greys to build my way up and mostly use pure skull white just as the final highlight. I normally go Astonomicon Grey, Codex Grey, Fortress Grey, and then I'm still using an old pot of elf grey which I believe is close to space wolf grey, then finally skull white. It's easier than it sounds and ends up looking like this.

Looking nice man, i think if after the black wash you went over the solid plates with a watered down white it'd make them look tons better. Just be careful to avoid getting the white into the already shaded areas!

Keep up the good work. ^_^

White is definitely one of the harder colors to get down. I've been working on a self made chapter in white and it's taken some time to figure out how I wanted them to look. I prime white and then use washes of umber and black. Keep it up, just takes some time ;)

Archived