What to do I paint until the new dex?

Wayward

Im a slow painter, and a slower modelist. Time isnt as cheap to buy like it was back in the day. On top of that, family issues left me with even less of my already scarce free time (LPC vow WILL be fullfilled, probly during sleep time :tu:). So, I have to manage my free time wisely...

I have tons of things to assemble and paint, but dont knowing what direction the new dex will take, and I would feel miserable if I spend 2 months on a couple of units that will become obsolete or wont make their points back... And almost everything I painted until now of my DA was for fun, so Im lookin for some game-worth material to be done.

So, what proyects do you think I can embark on without fear, modeling wise, on the verge of the new dex? I have stashed almost a couple of everything, marines, termies, bikes, vets, dreads... Some painted, most of them not. What I lack the most is vehicles, I have only one rhino painted, four more semi-assembled and a land raider at half process. All those vehicles are scratchbuilt, so they will require a bit extra of time to finish. I pretend to make the rhinos razorbacks too. So, what do you say Brothers, should I go down to the vehicle armory and stay there until the new dex arrives?

Yes.

I have a vets squad I am leery of finishing because I dont know what options will they have in the new book. However I just bought my first pod (anticipating a points drop) and I have a Rhinoback to finish and more to purchase. Rhinobacks, Pods and Raiders are not going away and everyone needs some.

Even if a new dex is on the horizon (October seems like a half decent shout), I will be finished my Dark Angels this year and will not be spending huge amounts of money on any more GW stuff. My logic is thus:

- My main, tournament army, is Deathwing. Deathwing are an iconic army in the 40k universe. Whether we get rolled into Codex:Vanilla or not, GW will not kill my army off.

- I run a ravenwing contingent that's horribly MSU (6 3 man biker teams with 6 mmab and 3 typhoons). This will likely see the biggest change. I'm prepared to accept that, they're a change of pace army for me, nothing more.

- Our tactical marines will get better, even if they become carbon copies of their codex brethren, making my greenwing (which is currently more ironwing than anything else) better.

As for new units? let's say we get the mortis back. I have 2 built for apocolypse games, where I can actually use them. A jetbike command unit had better do something spectacular to get into my ravenwing list. Worth investing in if we get them kitted out like a marine biker command squad.

An "Inner Circle" unit, again, better be damn good for their points for me to shift around my deathwing to accomodate them.

A plasma predator - gimicky unless 6th makes huge sweeping changes.

The rumoured "gunship" will not be making its way into my collection, simply because I've looked at all the big shiny monsters that have come out with new books - dreadknights, storm ravens, tyrannofexes/tervigons, thunderwolves and not been that impressed. From a purely competitive standpoint, only thunderwolves were really any good. Storm ravens require specific lists built around them, and they're still not that good.

My point to this ramble is simple: paint what you want. Tactical marines, rhinos and deathwing won't be going anywhere soon, so they are safe bets.

As for new units? let's say we get the mortis back. I have 2 built for apocolypse games, where I can actually use them.

According to this document you CAN use it in normal games. My LGS considers it good enough to legalize them for tournaments.

On topic: I'm re-doing tacticals right now. I've gotten fairly decent with an airbrush in the last while and my newly airbrushed minis make my old clumsy tacticals from several years ago look horrible. So it's stripper time for me.

As for new units? let's say we get the mortis back. I have 2 built for apocolypse games, where I can actually use them.

According to this document you CAN use it in normal games. My LGS considers it good enough to legalize them for tournaments.

On topic: I'm re-doing tacticals right now. I've gotten fairly decent with an airbrush in the last while and my newly airbrushed minis make my old clumsy tacticals from several years ago look horrible. So it's stripper time for me.

I suspect that this FW PDF foreshadows the fact that the mortis is in the new dex...

BTW, it's stripper time for everyone!!!! I get the 90 pound blonde! LOL

Here's my take on it.

I've come the realization that there is never a right answer to what the future holds. I've learned to never stress or worry about my army. I'm building and painting it today, in the present. If things change or get 'nerfed' etc, so what. Worse case scenario, I have a nicecly painted green army, which I can can run as DA or if things change down the road, a green vanilla army. If people gasp and want to shun me for being realistic, so be it. It's not my problem.

The bottom line is this. Paint what you like, live for now. Don't fret about the future. You'll enjoy the hobby so much more!

Here's my take on it.

I've come the realization that there is never a right answer to what the future holds. I've learned to never stress or worry about my army. I'm building and painting it today, in the present. If things change or get 'nerfed' etc, so what. Worse case scenario, I have a nicecly painted green army, which I can can run as DA or if things change down the road, a green vanilla army. If people gasp and want to shun me for being realistic, so be it. It's not my problem.

The bottom line is this. Paint what you like, live for now. Don't fret about the future. You'll enjoy the hobby so much more!

This has been my line of thought the last 15 years in this hobby! And it still it is and will be, dont worry! Thats exactly why I dont mind painting this thing or the next right now, because I always choosed what to paint according to what I liked most, inf fact, I skipped the whole 3rd ed gamewise, and a big part of 4th... I can say the ed I played most is 5th, but I havent hit the 25 game tag by far yet. And with 6th on the horizon, and a new dex on the way, I kinda want to change that. I kind of started 40k in reverse or something ;)

Interesting question.

As 5th has been the 'mech edition' in many respects (i.e. either running mech lists or carrying tons of melta to counter it) maybe 6th will back track a little. I'm not sure what 6th will herald but I think the meta game will veer in a [slightly] different direction.

I agree that transports are always useful. But this might manifest itself as being advantageous to use drop pods or flyers (storm ravens etc) – and not necessarily ground vehicles.

If I were you I'd paint more tac marines. Pure and simple. Frankly you can never have enough, and whatever you produce could be integrated as basic bread and butter models into 'new' as yet unknown power armour units should things go that way.

Just build an entire battle company (6xTac, 2xAssault, 2xDevastator), thirty or so termies, at least 20 assorted bikes, and a complete armory of 3x every available vehicle, and you can't go wrong :confused:

Listen, go with the "paint what you want for today" mentality. Under the last army book, I had a scout sergeant with powerfist and stormbolter, one of my favorite models. His smallish squad also featured a heavy bolter. They'd infiltrate, go through one melee, then find some cover to hunker down in, dakka-ing with the stormbolter and heavy bolter. Generally speaking, that initial melee justified their inclusion, but the 3-5 survivors wouldn't be enough to risk another assault, but the 3-5 shots (depending on range) were generally useful without being dangerous enough to cause the enemy to prioritize rooting the scouts out of cover. And people told me what an idiot I was to give up the +1A that the sergeant would have gotten by taking a pistol with the fist instead of a stormbolter (obviously, the pistol no longer gives that benefit). Anyway, the point is, that sergeant remains one of my favorite models, even though it's now illegal (scout sergeants can't have stormbolters). So what? It's a cool mini, and that's all that counts.

You can't go wrong with anything basic, meaning Tactical Squads, Assault Squads, Devastator Squads, Dreadnoughts, Rhinos, Razorbacks, Predators, Vindicators, Whirlwinds, and Land Raiders. You can also add to that Ravenwing Bikes, Attack Bikes, and Land Speeders. We very likely will see some new models for at lest some of the other things, so I would hold off on those. If you are a slow painter, that list ought to keep you busy until the codex comes out and then some.

I'd paint whatever you feel need to play now, and worry about the new codex when it arrives. I've got my Deathwing all set up, so I would be looking towards armor next. I played a game yesterday where a Whirldwind did quite a bit of work for me, so I'm considering adding another to my arsenal. If you already have several rhinos built, consider getting bits to convert them into predators. And another Dreadnought would never hurt. ;)

Thanks for the replies guys! As I said before, I always painted feeling my mood, and not worrying if it was gameworth or not. Actually I have, in various degrees of completion and qualities, but assembled and ready for the table:

10 man Tac squad w/mutlipe special/vhy/sgt options (x4)

10 man Devastator plasma squad (x1) (also have spare lascannons and missle launchers to replace the plasmas)

3 dreads

20 termies w/various weap configuration

6 vets (some can be used as optional sergeants)

4 Chaplains (one for each army list slot)

Company master

Belial

1 rhino

On the pipeline and almost finished are another comp master and a command squad, wich are my LPC vow, and 3 ravenwing bikers.

That said and put on paper, I see I need vehicles, codex worth or not, just to armonize a bit my stash of models... So its settled four rinobacks and a land radier coming sometime in the future ^_^

Archived