Ben's Dark Angels

PhDGamer

Hi everyone,

I've been working on some new Dark Angels lately, and thought I'd put together a project log to help motivate me and get some feedback. I've had to put off starting my first tactical squad because I'm waiting for a paint order, but here are some things I have painted.

First some scenic bases:

gallery_44197_7020_337179.jpg

gallery_44197_7020_44580.jpg

And a couple of WIP shots of Ezekiel:

gallery_44197_7020_30149.jpg

gallery_44197_7020_40731.jpg

I'm interested to hear what people think about the sword. I wanted something suitably menacing, so I imitated (more or less) the Grey Knight force weapon scheme, but I go back and forth about it.

Thanks for looking,

Ben

I think it's fantastic! This purple-ish is excellent and different and contrasting enough with both the robe and the blue of the armour. And it is menacing alright. I really like the bases too! VERY nice work. Can't wait to see the marines on top of them! :D

Love the bases, they defiantly have a battleground feel to them. The sword is perfect it very much looks like a sword that "enjoys" the odd unforgiven soul now and again **runs away before the Chaplains come for me**

Now that's a great looking librarian! And you say it's only WIP, is the blue, green and sword done? I can see of course that the back banner looks a tad unfinished still, being all black, but the armour and sword is just really great! Impressive :)

Really liking the subtle highlights and darker moody tone of your painting. Keep posting up pictures as you complete models and I'm sure this will turn into a highly viewed thread.

I didn't get as much painting done as I wanted to this weekend, but I did manage to finish Ezekiel:

gallery_44197_7020_40639.jpg[/url]

There are still a couple things I'm not 100% happy with, but overall I'm pleased. He may get a new base in the future, to match the rest of the bases I made. I did also manage to get a basecoat and some preliminary shading on my 1st tactical squad. I hope to post a photo of them later when I'm back at home w/ my camera. Comments are welcome as always, especially suggestions for improvement.

Thanks for the comments and encouragement so far. It does help to keep morale up for painting. As far as Ezekiel's base goes, I'm putting together a new one along the lines of the others I posted earlier. It should be a lot more contrasty and colorful and interesting than the grey chunk of wood he's standing on now.

Here's a WIP shot of some marines. I decided to paint my first squad in 3-man "fire teams," so I don't get burned out on blending green armor, and so I can update more frequently:

gallery_44197_7020_19140.jpg

There's lots left to do on these guys: an extreme highlight on the armor, shades and highlights on the robes, chapter/company markings and battle damage. Hopefully I'll get a good painting session in tonight and have more to post soon.

Georgeous model there Ben, excellent blending and colour choices.

I like the way you have given him less scratches on his armour than on your test model and the plain robes of a humble warrior-monk = very nice.

If you want CnC I'd say the ONLY weak point is the scroll work on his purity seal, a man with your skill could write in that space instead of the usual scribbles the rest of us do.

On the base (which I like as is btw) I'd add something small near his left foot, either a tuft of grass like CL said, or another 'battle trinket' in a similar colour to parts of Zeke's scheme maybe half a gold icon etc. That would draw the eye up and down the line of his stance (which is the coolest in the whole world and moon).

2c

stobz

EDIT: gah, you posted before I did, haha.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the comments and the encouragement so far. This past week was a little busy, so I don't have as much progress to show as I'd like, but here are a few photos.

Ezekiel again, with his new base:

gallery_44197_7020_15638.jpg

And fire team 1, complete except for bolters (and one arm):

gallery_44197_7020_34742.jpg

I decided to tone down the scratches and switch to non-glowing eye lenses, and I think both of those decisions turned out well. The eyes will eventually get a coat of gloss varnish, and the glossy shoulder pads will get dulled down. I glossed them in preparation for transfers, but go so fed up with the process that I just painted the chapter badges on instead. Stobz, I have plans for the purity seals on my next character, so stay tuned. Comments are welcome as always,

Ben

High time for an update, so here's what I've got. Not the best photos, I know, but good enough. Once the whole squad is done, I'll try and get a proper shot.

Another 3-man team, this time with a missile launcher:

gallery_44197_7020_11936.jpg

some close-ups:

gallery_44197_7020_57652.jpg

gallery_44197_7020_19327.jpg

and a WIP of everyone's favorite Interrogator-Chaplain:

gallery_44197_7020_22995.jpg

he's got a ways to go, but it really is a great model to paint.

Thanks for all the feedback, and Stobz, steal away. Maybe you can find a spot for a lantern on your Thunderhawk somewhere.

• 5 months later...

So, I have sadly neglected this thread for the last six months, but the Dark Vengeance set has definitely inspired me to put some more Dark Angels up here. To start, here's Asmodai:

gallery_44197_7020_4790.jpg

gallery_44197_7020_39424.jpg

He's done, though I'm not totally satisfied with him. I may go back to him later, though, so all comments are of course welcome.

Thanks for the comments, guys. Stobz, you're right about the purity seals; I'll work on those when I get back to him. Until then, here's a WIP of Turiel from the Dark Vengeance box. I vowed to complete him for the September segment of the Path to Redemption challenge, so I need to focus on him right now.

gallery_44197_7020_42228.jpg

I decided to do the metals first since they involve some drybrushing, which can be messy. More to come soon...

Archived