Ben's Dark Angels

PhDGamer

Thanks for the comments from all, they always help keep me motivated. Elmo, you aren't kidding about the clock. It seems like I went to bed on Nov. 5th and woke up on Thanksgiving! So, here's Belial:

gallery_44197_7020_17672.jpg

I chose this model for Belial because I didn't want to do a major conversion, but it really is a nice sculpt, and I wanted Belial to have the Sword of Silence anyway. I have found that the Deathwing color scheme is tough. I originally tried to stay away from green altogether, but the robe didn't look right when I painted it black. I've tried to tone both red and green down so the model isn't too bright overall. I'd love to hear other people's thoughts about the DW color scheme.

The DV Deathwing Squad is coming along, I've done the basecoat and all the metallic stuff. I'll put a WIP of them up soon. The holiday has given me more time to paint than usual, so I have high hopes for a quick finish. I'm also planning to take them to a game on Monday, so the more I can get painted, the better.

Happy holidays to all!

Ben

PhDGamer:

That's a very capable rendition of Belial, brother. The free handing on the shoulder pad is incredibly precise. The base has lots of character. The highlighting on both robe and sword are exceptional. Thanks for sharing.

FC

Thanks for the comments, guys. FinylCut, I struggled with Belial's sword for a while, so I'm glad the work paid off. As I promised earlier, here's a WIP of my first Deathwing Squad:

gallery_44197_7020_31244.jpg

I have a bit of work left to do: final highlights on the black and the red parts, the sergeant's robe, and some more shadows on the armor. Oh, and the bases, of course. I hope to have them done in the next few days, well before the November vow closes. Thanks for looking!

Thanks, Elmo. Sadly he may end up retired if there's a fancy new Belial model in the next release, but still, he was worth the effort.

November's PtR vow is now complete. Here is my first Deathwing squad:

gallery_44197_7020_28193.jpg

If I weren't going out of town for the next few days, I would fiddle with the contrast on the armor some more, but I am overall pleased with the result, and I think it's time to move on to the next project. That will probably be more Deathwing, as I have a 1750 point army of them occupying my painting table right now, staring at me with cold and accusing eyes.

Thanks for looking!

1750 points of DW to this standard will auto win on the table due to the opposing players eyes bursting in jealousy.

Best if you get to work completing them, then provide pics of the first opponents face once they have deen defeated/blinded.

s

1750 points of DW to this standard will auto win on the table due to the opposing players eyes bursting in jealousy.

Make sure they look away before this happens, otherwise they may get your models messy! :P

Thanks to all for the comments. I will try to take some close-ups of the individual terminators in the next few days. Captain Semper, as far as white goes, the one thing I think I have learned is to focus on the shadows and add a little color. I used brown and black for the shadows on these guys b/c it works well with the bone-white scheme, but purple or blue will give a much starker white. I hope that's useful to you in some way. In other news, here's the "before" photo of my PtR project for December:

gallery_44197_7020_54062.jpg

I'm hoping to finish this one in good order so I can work on redeeming my failure in November. I have lots more terminators in the queue, so I suspect there will be a lot of white on this thread in the coming weeks.

Archived