Is Terminator armour worth it on a Captain/Librarian?

circus1943

Guest Bucelufe

I would say not on a captain as the Iron Halo gives you a 4+ invulnerable save anyway and the power armour gives you a 3+ on small arms fire. and you can make it a 2+ armour save with the artificer armour add on.

However on the Librarian that does not have an invulnerable save as standard then it is one way of giving him an invulnerable save of 5+. The other way is to take Force Dome Psychic power but this of course has a chance of failing if you fluff the Ld Psychic test roll.

To replace the power armour on a captain to terminator armour costs 40 points and gives you a free Storm bolter and power sword, a cheaper option that achieves the same is artificer armour for 15 pts, power sword for 10 and storm bolter for 3 = 28pts, also if you keep the Captain in power armour you have the option of using Hellfire rounds (assuming you take a bolter/combi weapon) and the Relic Blade options which are nice combo add ons and of course they can be bike mounted or jump pack equipped for rapid redeployment.

Thunder hammers on characters seem not to be great in gaming terms, as you lose the extra initiative of the character. Character models shine by dishing out lots of attacks early in the combat order, and thereby reducing the enemies that can hit back. They do look cool though.

Also note that a Captain in Terminator armour can't sweeping advance, and can't take a relic blade, those are two other reasons to leave him in power armour or upgrade to artificer armour instead. As has been said Terminator armour is decent on a Libby as it gets him an invulnerable save and access to the best invulnerable save in the codex, the loss of an attack doesn't really matter as he's not a combat character. Do bear in mind though that upgrading any of these characters restricts vehicles they can travel in to just Drop Pods (with another unit) and Land Raiders, and they take up 2 spaces instead of 1. Of course they can then deep strike, they lose flexibility of mobility for flexibility of deployment.

As for thunder hammers, what Stercus said. Why put a thunder hammer on a Captain to make him wound on 1s and strike last when you could give him a relic blade to wound on 1s and strike at I5 still? Of course, some targets like MCs and ICs die to thunder hammers more easily. The other point to make is that your character can get picked out in combat, and so therefore it's possible he could be overwhelmed by attacks, or not contributing his attacks earlier could leave to a live power fist or equivalent in the opposing squad which takes him out at the same time. Therefore a good armour and invulnerable save is required to make good use of the thunder hammer. However, I'd only feel most comfortable with eternal warrior, so the only thunder hammer wielding Captain I take is Lysander.

Do remember the Rule of Cool, much more important than any rule in the game, apart from maybe the Golden Rule. If you really want a thunder hammer totting Captain in Terminator armour go for it. Give him a storm shield to help kill him alive, and then you can also use him as Lysander, who is a combat monster and has some other nice rules, like bolter drill and bolster defenses.

Do remember the Rule of Cool, much more important than any rule in the game, apart from maybe the Golden Rule. If you really want a thunder hammer totting Captain in Terminator armour go for it. Give him a storm shield to help kill him alive, and then you can also use him as Lysander, who is a combat monster and has some other nice rules, like bolter drill and bolster defenses.

That is... so very true! Thanks!

I do have a question to add. Can a Chapter Master use Orbital Bombardment the turn he moves when he has Terminator Armour on?

+1. My initial thought was to field on bad ass looking Captain, with a thunderhammer pref. a bigger one then the Terminator models have. I just want him too look real scary! I spent some hours yesterday trying to figure out what models I needed for such a conversion, but after reading all this, the project might be more expensive than it's worth. Never figured out what he'd be carrying in his other hand neither.

I believe the text for Orbital Bombardment says that you must remain stationary anyway, so even if he could fire an ordnance barrage weapon normally you wouldn't be able to.

I believe the text for Orbital Bombardment says that you must remain stationary anyway, so even if he could fire an ordnance barrage weapon normally you wouldn't be able to.

There's that as well, but the folks I've run into why try it scream about Relentless and how they can move and shoot, which they mistakenly think overrides the rules for the OB. Pointing at the Relentless USR wording is easier than arguing what cancels what :).

Orbital Bombarment is a SPECIAL RULE that the Chapter Master has, not a WEAPON THAT HE CARRIES. Special rules, as far as I am aware, are unaffected by such things as Relentless. Terminator armor or no, that boy has to stand still if he wants to OB. After all, wouldn't the special rule itself indicate otherwise if there were exceptions to it?

Archived