Belial, why TH/SS?

cadaver2k

Why do I see him with TH/SS combo, does he not kill enough with claws? I am not a DA player so I was thinking those of you that are can shed some light on this.

Thanks for the input. :)

So many high Initiative high Strength weapons out there, if not them then hidden fists.

Belial might be cheap but he tends to die far too easily without the SS imho.

One example is a stock BA libby with the S10 power(forgets name), combined with I6 due to FC he IDs big B every time.

s

Same price, init5 isn't enough to matter against most armies, he's normally got a 5++ and no eternal warrior so he gets taken out by fists/hammers very easily the 3++ keeps him around, str8 gives more versatility(mc's/vehicles).

Hope that answers your question.

I've run MotD both ways and I personally favor the Lightning Claws. He's just so killy at that I5 with 6 attacks on the charge! However, as my battle brothers have already mentioned, he dies very easily. Essentially, you get one good round of swinging and then the PF or TH finds him. In my games it's been very rare that he survives past the first round of combat. But at his current point cost it really doesn't matter (unless you're playing KP). The perfect suicide HQ; meat for the grinder.

One thing that is good about using him this way (at least in my experience) is that it takes all the attention off the Deathwing squad that he's in. There's been a handful of times where MotD has chewed a bloody path through Death Company giving the rest of the Deathwing time enough to finish the fight.

I have all three options magnetized, and just roll off at the start of the battle to see which one is going to be used.

Personally I prefer Sword of Silence and Stormbolter over the other 2 options, just because it's Heavenfall blade.

Well I believe it's just for me though, for me Belial can make terminators troop, and then he can soak some damage before he dies, so most of time my Belial dies but I won the game.

Soaking plasma hits is much easier with a 3++ than a 5++

I run mine with TLC because that's the way I built him. He's not particularly killy at all. This may be because I never deploy him in the banner squad, so he only gets 5 attack on the charge, but I tend to whiff his attack rolls more often than not.

Soaking plasma hits is much easier with a 3++ than a 5++

This. Anything with ap1-ap2 and up to S7 gets dumped on belial since he has 3 wounds and a 3++ save.

The 3++ also helps when he's toe to toe with an enemy character, he can s save/ soak wounds and probably instakill most of characters out there. the TLC setup isn't so go vs other characters.

From my point of view - I prefer the Claws.

Plasma isn't so common in the games I play (which is bizarre considering the amount of power armour kicking about); people tend to favour melta (including BA inferno pistols). As such, I'm loathe to put ID wounds onto Belial even with a 3++.

[As an aside, in my opinion a strong invulnerable save, multiple wounds and Eternal Warrior is frustratingly over the top (Abbaddon in Obliterators I'm looking at you), but that is a personal moan for another time]

As for being able to stand up to characters and enemy bully units, I prefer not to engage them if at all possible, and use my squads as bully units instead. This generally means going after things without high T or invulnerable saves (usually standard power armour), so weight of attacks at I5 over I4 is personally more valuable. I'm not sure as to the maths, but rerolling To Wound with an extra attack is close to 2+ To Wound I'd expect. I also try to set up charges so that I can keep him away from hidden fists to avoid that ID risk; not always possible granted but it can be done.

Final point; there are usually plenty of other Terminators in his unit with S8 and/or 3++, so that improves the value of the claws further for me.

+++++

Thought I'd do the maths; on the charge (no banner) against T4, hammer does 2.2 wounds, claws do 2.5 wounds. With banner, hammer does 2.8, claws do 3. I think... Lower T obviously will improve the claws, higher T the hammer.

Very low difference in wound output, but one is at I5 and the other at I1. Do you go 1st, reduce damage coming back, but accept you'll be more likely to fail saves from power weapons, or weather the storm relatively safe behind your shield and wreck face at I1...

I may have just talked myself into running TH/SS...

explanation and math

:)

It's healthy to have two good choices when it comes to a character setup and it's healthy that both have very valid points for being fielded... especially if one has magnets. :lol:

explanation and math

:)

It was a bit of a Homer Simpson moment.

It's healthy to have two good choices when it comes to a character setup and it's healthy that both have very valid points for being fielded... especially if one has magnets. :lol:

Plus one to this. Play games with both, and see which best suits your style.

~shrug~

Depends on the metagame, his role, your expectations of him, and the squad you're putting him in. Stepping off the ramp of a crusader into melee with the enemy's best hammer, definitely the hammer. Walking or deepstriking with a thunderhammer squad, he's a bullet sponge for anything that won't kill him outright, so he tends to be on his last wound when combat commences...in that case, definitely claws, five claw attacks are infintely better than zero hammer attacks!

Well last night playing my buddy with his tyranids, my Deathwing Captain Falkov and his squad were assaulted by a Hive Tyrant, Tervigon and Trygon. Needless to say, his storm shield saved his bacon for two rounds of combat before he finally died. Meanwhile, the rest of the squad and another close by were able to finish off the monstrous creatures. Without the storm shield, that squad would have been massacred and then his three big goons would have wreaked havoc on the rest of my army.

It's healthy to have two good choices when it comes to a character setup and it's healthy that both have very valid points for being fielded... especially if one has magnets. smile.gif

I could not have said this better. I would love to field my HQ with TLC all the time, but the TH/SS has always been a boon rather than a bust.

The answer is simple...

Belial, GRAND MASTER, Master of the Deathwing, Captain of the First company, One of the MOST FEARED units in the Galaxy...

Is the only Captain or Company Master (without a Storm Shield as normal wargear) in ANY of the current codex's that does not have an Iron Halo.

5++ is just not reliable for an HQ.

Archived