help starting up.

SirStokie

So I have the blood Angels codex and I'm dead set on them! A guy at my local GW store has some models he can sell me on the cheap, ready made and magnetized: Mephison (i think thats how you spell it), 5x assault space marines and a ten man tactical squad. Would this be an okay start up/core for an army? I don't want to invest to much money to start with. Thanks in advance.

If hes charging you more than about 50 bucks US you arent getting an amazing deal by any means, but yes thats a good start to an army- 1 HQ and 2 troops, the minimum you need to field said army.

To make it worthwhile for you though, youd be well off investing another 50 bucks on 5 more assault marines, and perhaps a jump-pack wearing chaplain to lead them. Mephiston is a powerful character, no mistake, but hes really way to expensive for the point values that you can play with this army *around 500*.

After that Id recommend getting a Razorback kit- they double as rhinos, and the kits only $2 more expensive for a $14 dollar bit to be included. Fielding it as a Razorback will increase your armies firepower, as a rhino itll greatly improve youre mobility for that tactical squad.

Then play around a bit- borrow or proxy some units, buy when you can, youll get up to 1500pts quicker than you think.

The thing is i eventually want to have a jumpack army so a razorback probably wont get much use later on, it would however look awesome, and i dont think tactical squads can have jumpacks. The proxy librarian idea is great though thanks dude. what do you guys suggest for a jumpack army is there anything that is a must have?

On the other hand the assault's jumppacks are magnetic so I could take em off and run razorback to try it. I do like the idea of a drive by army :)

I would personally get the razorback, but then again I play hybrid so I like a mix of JP/transports. If your going to go full jump pack then vanguard might be a good idea. You don't even need to get expensive and high-maintinence finecast, just buy a regular assault squad and paint their helmets gold. The assault squad kit comes with two power weapons, two plasma pistols and a fist, which is WAY more than enough for a five-man vanguard. Later on you can expand the squad, I belive most people run 2-3 10 man squads in 1500 points. So maybe buy two assault squads, one to bulk up the original to 10 and one to use as vanguard. At least, thats what I would do if I was in your position and going for all JP (But hybrid is better ;) .)

Regular Assault Marines have yellow helmets. Veterans, either Vanguard or Sternguard, have gold helmets. Take a peek at p70 and p73 of the Codex.

The Vanguards on the GW website, if you're looking at the picture on the box, are Ultramarines.

Also, I use the Death Company box to make Vanguards. Same price as the Assault Squad box, cheaper than the actual Vanguard minis and you still get the ornate armour and a whole load of BA goodies to bling your other guys with.

The thing is i eventually want to have a jumpack army so a razorback probably wont get much use later on, it would however look awesome, and i dont think tactical squads can have jumpacks. The proxy librarian idea is great though thanks dude. what do you guys suggest for a jumpack army is there anything that is a must have?

On the other hand the assault's jumppacks are magnetic so I could take em off and run razorback to try it. I do like the idea of a drive by army :)

Its mostly for that tactical squad. Even jump-pack armies need a good firebase at times, and the ability to run it as either transport gives you flexability. However, if you want to go solid jump-infantry then you probly dont want to buy this guys models off hand anyways, as youre only getting five assault marines anyways.

DO NOT buy ASMs or Vanguard kits! They are horrendous for their price

DC kit is awesome for a BA army (just for +2-3$?), and it allows you to make ANY jump unit in the codex and has a pile-o-bits in it (which you can also trade for bits that you like\missing :rolleyes: )

Archived