What to buy next.

Warp Wraith

Wow, seems I started quite a furor over my like of whirlwinds! Good points on all fronts involving it. Where I found it really useful was more for the anticover shots as they deny a mechs KFF, and they can be used direct fire as well which is more accurate. Generally I would move it 6" and direct fire it. Doesnt count as a barrage that way so no pinning, but anti cover makes for lots of dead orks. Of course, your milage may vary hugely based on your meta, the skill of your opponent, etc. Some people HATE the whirly, for some good reasons too, but my *personal* experiences with it (pinning a Tau command unit and retinue, vaporizing a squad of lootas in one shot, etc) have been positive. I dont expect it to win any battles on its own, but if I have 85pts left building a list I will use that over a dakka pred anyday.

As far as mathhammer on Lootas, well I used to think that would be the case too, but I have personally seen full squads of tacticals, dev's, heck even predators go down in a single turn. It might not be statistically going to happen every turn (and it doesnt), but it does happen often enough to make those lootas a priority target. up to 36 str7 shots in a turn is going to mess up anything it shoots, even terminators. Thats not to say that anyone is wrong on the math, or that they are the ultimate killing machines, but when you have 90 boyz, 9 kanz and a battlewagon coming at you you really dont have time to toy with the lootas and you can't leave them alive either. :-) Hence the whirly, one good hit with that and they either pin or run off the board. Problem solved for 85pts.

But again, these are my own experiences and opinions, and you will find lots of folks who think I am totally whacked to use a whirly and in their own meta or playstyle they aren't wrong. I would say proxy one and try it out to see for yoruself.

I suggest, based on price, you look at the Raven Wing box set(s). They come with bikes, an attack bike, very cool swords for captians/relic blades, and a Land speeder of your choice (two weapon/typhoon). All of the chapter specific stuff is seperate if you wanted to use the box set for any chapter. Even at face GW prices, the box is way cheaper than if you bought a bike set, attack bike, and land speeder. If you buy two, you'll have enough to have a Land speeder squadron and bike troops.

I thought this was a different choice than transports for your infantry or more infantry to transport.

This game is very expensive. You can build a collection cheaply though. If you need to buy another black reach box to boost both of your collections, then you can. Buying a venerable dread will give you extra arms to change the weapons of your black reach dread(s). Check ebay for unpainted lots. The price and involvement of this game kills alot of armies before they are even primed for painting.

Evil suns speed freaks... Let's about that.

He should have lots of the following:

Trukks with boys

Bikes

Maybe nob bikers

Buggies

Potentially battle wagons with boys as well

If he is staying fluffily, I wouldn't expect to see lootas, kans or dreads, or, most importantly: gigargantor sized mobs of boys...

As a marine player, that is a welcoming sign!!

If he does run lootas then you have been given the tools to deal with them. I will only add one more: 10 naked sternguard in a pod... No cover saves allowed!

Let's look at the rest. Everything else should either be small groups of orks in av 10, or small groups of av 10 buggies, or small groups of T5 bikers.

I think the the first thing I would employ is the heavy bolter. Maybe 4 devs with them or a couple of dual HB land speeders. Other winners are assault cannons and the ever reliable missile launcher.

Plasma guns on tactical squads would work as well, since you could rapid fire some av 10 stuff, or some bikers, and if the boys mobs are only 12 to fit in trucks, not having a flamer won't matter when you are rapid firing 9 marines and two have plasma rounds(combi-plas on Sgt)

Tactical terminators are a very solid unit as well, they are tactical on many levels.. That is a good choice I run frequently vs

everything. They can take on everything in a speed freak list except for speed... But they have the range to make up for it. Oh and nobs o r mega nobs??? Always feel free to sacrifice your terminators to them. A double wipe out is much better than the nobs controlling the game because you are scared to engage.

see the beauty of the speed freak list is that it takes away the only thing that really give marines trouble with orks, too many dadgum orks!

I love playing against them, employ enough big guns to knock stuff out as it crosses the field. Have enough little guns to deal with the aftermath.

Happy hunting!

MM

You can make tactical marines into sternguard if you paint them up fancy(gold trim on back pack, shoulder pad, etc). You can do this to your black reach marines or another set of black reach marines for the cheap. I suggest going on ebay to buy parts of the black reach set vs. buying a whole new box set. GW charges a premium for the rullers, dice, and extra templates the set is made of.

Another plug for the raven wing box set: it gives you access to three of Codex:Space Marine fast moving melta options(some of the most effective anti armor units) bike troops, multi-melta attack bike(s), and Land speeders. These aren't as important vs. orks but vs. alot of the other armies, it will make the difference.

No matter where you get a land speeder, a typhoon(one with missles) is a VERY effective vs. orks. There is no vehicle the orks have that can't be killed with a Krak missile to the side armor, and land speeders are fast enough to get that shot. After transports/tanks are gone, a typhoon can put out 3x heavy bolter shots and two frag missiles each turn, on the move, to kill the ork hordes.

Archived