for those pro-vampire players...

some conversions can be done (take off the wings unless you really like the vampire theme) and call them escapees from the tower of amareo. maybe during this most recent invasion of baal? something of the sort anyway. i don't remember exactly where it was or what the exact words were, but i'm sure i remember reading something (AoD codex maybe?) about those who give in to the red thirst completely 'degenerating' into blood thirsty cannibals or some such like that.

any way just sharing an idea...

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/...Id=prod1460006a

some conversions can be done (take off the wings unless you really like the vampire theme) and call them escapees from the tower of amareo. maybe during this most recent invasion of baal? something of the sort anyway. i don't remember exactly where it was or what the exact words were, but i'm sure i remember reading something (AoD codex maybe?) about those who give in to the red thirst completely 'degenerating' into blood thirsty cannibals or some such like that.

Well the vampirism isn't necessarily them transforming into bats, it is them craving and drinking blood.

+edit+

But, that would look sweet! I think they tend to fit the theme of the Flesh Eaters better.

Well the vampirism isn't necessarily them transforming into bats, it is them craving and drinking blood.

+edit+

But, that would look sweet! I think they tend to fit the theme of the Flesh Eaters better.

well if you would have paid attention i said get rid of the wings. otherwise they look relatively normal.

@i am legion

they're that big? oh shucks. think about it, if a space marine went out of his mind and ended up becoming feral some of their snarling faces would probably look something like that. and again with out the wings, i don't think they'd be considered that deamonic.

lol maybe one of them could represent mephiston after his 'inner deamon takes over' :)

+edit+

well if you would have paid attention i said get rid of the wings. otherwise they look relatively normal.

@i am legion

they're that big? oh shucks. think about it, if a space marine went out of his mind and ended up becoming feral some of their snarling faces would probably look something like that. and again with out the wings, i don't think they'd be considered that deamonic.

lol maybe one of them could represent mephiston after his 'inner deamon takes over' :P

Oh, I thought you were saying use the wings on a regular model, I am sorry. Been a long day.

Yeah, those would be sweet, but I would use fluff more like what the Blood Quest had behind

Cloten's transformation

, which involves the warp amplifying it's effects.

+edit+

@i am legion

lol maybe one of them could represent mephiston after his 'inner deamon takes over' :P

Oh, I thought you were saying use the wings on a regular model, I am sorry. Been a long day.

Yeah, those would be sweet, but I would use fluff more like what the Blood Quest had behind

Cloten's transformation

i guess you could use that, but i don't see how you could justify the warp amplifying the thirst. i could understand the black rage, but not the red thirst.

+edit+

@i am legion

Cloten's transformation

i guess you could use that, but i don't see how you could justify the warp amplifying the thirst. i could understand the black rage, but not the red thirst.

The Black Rage is just a memory, the Red Thirst is an actual genetic flaw, so it is easier to mutate. Have you ever read any of the Blood Quests?

It happens in the second comic, when they are on the daemon world and he is going through Tzeentch's territory.

How about using them to represent a Chaos BA army's Sanguinary Guard? Completely invert the "angelic" motif they've got going on, and I don't think anyone will doubt that those faces are pretty horrifying (Death Masks). The only issue would be adding Angelus Boltguns and switching out for Power Fists or Plasma or Infernus Pistols.

How about using them to represent a Chaos BA army's Sanguinary Guard? Completely invert the "angelic" motif they've got going on, and I don't think anyone will doubt that those faces are pretty horrifying (Death Masks). The only issue would be adding Angelus Boltguns and switching out for Power Fists or Plasma or Infernus Pistols.

They are way too big to represent regular infantry. They definetely need to be placed on a 40mm base.

And since you would need to buy two boxes to get five guys, they come with a hefty price tag. 74 € for one unit of 5 guys (Sanguinary guard is limited to 5 so you can't even use the sixth one)!

Seriously?

Hey, no need to get aggressive - just a thought. I wasn't thinking about bases, I was thinking thematically. The price concerns are valid, but someone dedicated to building that kind of a theme might not actually care.

The bases are a good point, though. I'm not sure what we have that would work....

Aren't the guys in the Tower of Amareo just more mentally challenged than Death Company Marines? They don't overcome the Red Thirst, but are overwhelmed and long for the blood of the living. I haven't read anything about mutations of any sort, especially not at this degree.

And it will probably look ridiculous. Even thunderwolves are highly debatable...I just can't take anyone seriously who rides into battle on an oversized wolf despite the fact that a transport vehicle's just beside him, carrying his buddies.

That said, for a Chaos army these could act as Chosen, if the model size wasn't this big. Maybe a stand in for lesser deamons, however the size is just off to represent normal infantry.

Snorri

Hey, no need to get aggressive - just a thought. I wasn't thinking about bases, I was thinking thematically. The price concerns are valid, but someone dedicated to building that kind of a theme might not actually care.

The bases are a good point, though. I'm not sure what we have that would work....

This wasn't meant to be offensive. I'm sorry if you experienced it this way.

; )

Aren't the guys in the Tower of Amareo just more mentally challenged than Death Company Marines? They don't overcome the Red Thirst, but are overwhelmed and long for the blood of the living. I haven't read anything about mutations of any sort, especially not at this degree.

And it will probably look ridiculous. Even thunderwolves are highly debatable...I just can't take anyone seriously who rides into battle on an oversized wolf despite the fact that a transport vehicle's just beside him, carrying his buddies.

That said, for a Chaos army these could act as Chosen, if the model size wasn't this big. Maybe a stand in for lesser deamons, however the size is just off to represent normal infantry.

Snorri

my understanding of the brothers in the tower of amareo, is that they can no longer resist the thirst, and go out of their minds and essentially go feral. i was mostly thinking of just using the torsos and heads (the funny little horn thingy could be filed or shaved off to prevent them from looking to mutated.) and i've seen pictures of animals as well as people that have gone feral (some children who have spent their whole lives homeless have been known to grow up into their teens acting more animal than human) while they weren't mutated or anything they were certainly much diferent in apparenance than a 'civilized' person is.

However, there is a case in Blood Quest,

where Sergeant Cloten begins being physically affected by the Red Thirst, and eventually meets a hellish future version of himself as if he had been stuck on that world.

So it is possible that it can physically effect those in the Tower, just unlikely. (Warp influences, you know?)

But yeah, Inquisitor is right. The Tower is where they put all of those who can no longer resist, and have fully succumbed to it's effects.

has there ever been any account of what successor chapters do with their brothers who give in to the thirst completely? flesh tearers maybe?

this topic got me thinking about a DC based army, DC rules, but the fluff being that a culling of brothers who have given into the thirst are sent into battle (normally suicide missions) to break a foe's back.

blood lust would explain why they would move towards the nearest enemy unit with no regard for strategy or tactics, and the unquenchable desire could also explain how they're able to ignore wounds.

any who...waddya think of that idea?

has there ever been any account of what successor chapters do with their brothers who give in to the thirst completely? flesh tearers maybe?

this topic got me thinking about a DC based army, DC rules, but the fluff being that a culling of brothers who have given into the thirst are sent into battle (normally suicide missions) to break a foe's back.

blood lust would explain why they would move towards the nearest enemy unit with no regard for strategy or tactics, and the unquenchable desire could also explain how they're able to ignore wounds.

That is actually what I was thinking! If there is not an official chapter, you can always make your own up (at least, just the concept for your army).

That is actually what I was thinking! If there is not an official chapter, you can always make your own up (at least, just the concept for your army).

tell me how it goes for ya. lol i won't be buying any new models any time soon.

Well with Astorath now he's supposed to travel around the BA and their successors, offing rage-afflicted brothers. Wonder what they do in the Tower of Amereo now? Lots of rooms for ping-pong tables, I guess.

Well with Astorath now he's supposed to travel around the BA and their successors, offing rage-afflicted brothers. Wonder what they do in the Tower of Amereo now? Lots of rooms for ping-pong tables, I guess.

Check out Febs white dwarf article/mission "blood of Martyrs" for a description of a possible DC role, staying behind to ensure a safe extraction for there unafflicted battle brothers and glorious death - just like my own chapter.And just like my own chapter, i assume the chaplains/priests administer rites of calming, appeasment and continual religious service to the afflicted.As well as continuous (resectful) treatments, which appear to be largely innefective.

I think Astorath only deals with brothers afflicted by Black Rage, while the tower of Amareo is used for degenerated cases of Red Thirst (so those ping pong tables can see some action, after all). Why the former are executed and the latter locked up is not totally clear to me tho... assuming the the tower is still part of the fluff.

I have to say that having two distinct flaws can be quite confusing, it can be even for BA fans so i can imagine the trouble other people may find. Personally, i would have preferred a simpler approach from GW: Red Thirst = as it is now, + a sort of "Terminal Red Thirst" which is what the guys in the tower of A. experience, and they could be fielded with Death Company rules/looks. But no last memories of Sanguinius, just a more extreme manifestation of the same flaw.

But the fluff is what it is, and anyway i really like BA as they are, despite the recent not-so-fortunate additions in the Codex

Archived