Sgt's Weapons

Sir Blayse

I've beening running my RAS sgt's with Powerfist/BP. But, I'm not getting a lot from this, except against certain really big threats. A lot of times I don't even get to use the PF, either by wiping out the opponent or getting wiped out before it hits.

I've been having fun with Infernus pistols thanks to my DC and think it would be nice to have them in my RAS. But, PF/IP seems to be insanely expensive for a single model and still suffer from the last point above. I'm tempted to run the sgt with either CCW/IP + Melta bombs or with PW/IP + Melta bombs. Though not as good on defensive and pure smack down power, I'm looking at doing more damage and getting a decent bump in attacks. Plus, 3 melta shots are tempting when I have an amazing knack for missing or failing to wound with Melta weapons... more should help that out. Melta bombs to deal with Monoliths and LR's. I'm thinking of keeping the power weapon, since it is nice to have against other marine matchups. But, I suffer against multi-wound models like warriors/nobz... hoping extra melta shot helps this before the attack, plus helps with the can opening process to get the goodies inside.

So what's a good setup for this guys?

I've proxied PF+IP and I liked the results, as long as you remember to position your sarge properly. <_< That extra backup shot really helps. PF+SS is good too, but also very costly.

If you want to go with the PW approach take the lightning claw. It's superior in most scenarios although it suffers a bit in prolonged combats when you only have 2 attacks.

Personally, I do not believe 3 power weapon attacks (4 on the charge) fighting at the same initiative as everyone else is better than 2 (3 on the charge) fist attacks.

The opponent can't wound allocation out the fist attacks. You are far more likely to wound. You can hurt dreadnoughts and Monsterous creatures.

Agree with JamesI. I also run PF/IP and love the results... that is when my IPs actually hit.

-Samirus

I gave my Thunder hammer sergeant an IP. Works nice, though he usually deepstrikes with Dante so he will end up close enough for it to matter.

Of my sergeants for jumpy squads, 2 are PF/BP, 1 is PF/HF and one is TH/IP and the Vanguard sergeant has PF/SS. Very rarely do I wish I had a power weapon instead, and if I do, there should be a priest nearby with a power weapon.

The smaller a squad gets due to casualties the worse off the PF dude is. Towards the end of the battle it isn't entirely unusual to find the sergeant to be the only one left alive. At that point I sometimes wish I could switch to a power weapon.

Maybe the answer is taking a fist and a power weapon (claw), 'space crusade' style :angry:

Towards the end of the battle it isn't entirely unusual to find the sergeant to be the only one left alive. At that point I sometimes wish I could switch to a power weapon.

So the point you make is that the PW is only useful when you have already lost nine tenths of the unit? :lol:

Even then, Id rather the lone serge have a fist so he can be a nuisance like going solo tank hunting, and blocking tank shocks.

So the point you make is that the PW is only useful when you have already lost nine tenths of the unit? ;)

It's not that bad. :P But 5 and below is where it starts to get hairy, not enough attacks and not enough bodies to hide behind. For a 5-man squad I would take a PW/claw + melta bomb or IP over a fist in most cases.

Hmm, I might do some IP+Melta bomb one's to run with my Razorspams. A nice way to get an extra high strength shot. PF is a waste with the small squads. I usually run them as 6 man, but will drop to 5 to cover the differences in points.

Otherwise I think going with PF/IP might be nice, just really expensive.

It's not that bad. :ph34r: But 5 and below is where it starts to get hairy, not enough attacks and not enough bodies to hide behind. For a 5-man squad I would take a PW/claw + melta bomb or IP over a fist in most cases.
Agreed, the PW is best when the models in the unit have no physical way possible of putting more than a single wound onto each model in the unit they are fighting. Even vs tac marines, Mr Melta Gunner will get double-stacked with those 2 power weapon wounds if your opponent can.

Archived