What is the best weapon for a dread?

Ulfast

I have been thinking to buy one of those really sweet looking dreads from Forgeworld and I´m wondering what weapon should I buy? I like the look of the autocannon but is not the lascannon or plasma cannon better? Second weapon will be a close combat weapon. Please help a new aspiring champion to understand <_<

My thought was the best weapon for a mad dread that some times shoot like nothing else and some times just charge ahead ;) My guess was also that the plasma cannon would be one of the better but I really do like the autocannon. But I also had a thought, what about a dread with a missile launcher and CCW? Could it work?

If to want to reduce danger from our mad dreads, than the missile launcher and DCCW + flamer're the best. But if to rule him with enough luck, than PC can be also good. But very dangerous ;)

I went with a plasma cannon, but I have tried a few different ones. The plasma cannon is kinda special in that the only other place you can find it in the codex is on Obliterators, and it is a quite powerful gun, effective both against vehicles and infantry. The multi-melta is also only avalible on Oblits outside of the Dread, and can be quite useful on a vehicle as mobile as the Dread.

The twin-autocannon is good at taking down transports and other walkers, certainly better than the plasma cannon, having both better range, accuracy and rate of fire, but it is weaker vs monsters and heavy infantry.

I most often face Eldar and Tyranids, and the twin-autocannon is really good vs Eldar, but not so good vs Nids. On the other hand, the plasma cannon is quite good vs Eldar, but very good vs Nids, so I went with the plasma because of its versatility.

The best gun depends on what other units you have avalible and what you most often face. I had problems hurting 2+ save units from a distance, but the lascannon is expensive and is not all that versatile, so the plasma cannon felt like the best choice for me.

Hey, you guys are aware of the most recent FAQ for Chaos Dreads, right? Fire Frenzy only requires that you target the closest unit in the normal fire arc of the weapons, so go ahead and use those nifty ranged options. Just don't put one of your units in his fire arc. :)

Archived