The Contemptor

I am thinking of saving up and getting myself a contemptor after my exams, (or possibly for my birthday, depending.) for my Thousand sons (am also thinking of a small kill team of Salamanders, or a wraithseer for my Iyanden eldar, but I digress.). Has anyone used them with Thousand sons? which weapons do people recomend and use often with them? Mark of Tzeentch is a given, as is a DCCW (last game a necron lord destroyed my shooty dread with a war scythe :P ). I was thinking of a plasma blaster in the combat weapon with a heavy weapon, not sure which to be honest, I was thinking Multie melta, a plasma cannon, or a butcher cannon. whilst the lascannon or auto cannon would be nice, they don't really make use of the mark of tzeentch (I know a plasma cannon would not really, but they are just brilliant weapons.) I have never used magnets before, and so wold want advice or experience before trying it with such an expensive model, but would like to do it eventually, but will only be able to afford two arms initially. Also any pictures of Tzeentch or Thousand Son contemptors would be nice as well.

It might be a little out of left field but I've found taking a contemptor with a twin-linked heavy flamer and a DCC w/ plasma blaster. Put it in a dreadclaw and support it with two rubric squads in two other dreadclaws. With that combination for the contemptor it makes good use of the mark of Tzeentch (the heavy flamer will be re-rolling 1s to hit and re-rolling all missed wounds at AP3 and we all know that if you force even terminators to make enough saves they will fail some - it's the IG mantra) and still allows it to be close combat worthy and have a little bit of 18" plasma AP2. Combine that with the AV13 front, the 'fleet' special rule and two squads of AP3 / inv 4+ rubrics arriving - it's going to be nasty.

That loadout however is done in conjunction with the rest of the heavy support in my list (3 obliterators and 2 plasma cannon dreadnoughts) so it might not fit for others...

The main problem for that is that it needs the dreadclaw for it to be reliable, otherwise it could get immobilized in the middle of the board and effectively ignored.

How about the heavy bolters, does Mark of Tzeentch make them AP2? (regular boltguns AP5>AP3, so AP4>AP2?) As a fair few of my opponents have got necrons with destroyers which whilst don't scare my rubrics that much, the amount of shots and heavy destroyers in them....

Also has anyone ever tried convertign either the autocannon or the Assault cannon into a butcher cannon?

The butcher cannon for the decimator looks identical to the defiler reaper autocannon so you could use that. Isn't the butcher str 8 ap 4? If so I would love to try that out. Anyways I'm waiting for them to come out with a chaos contemptor. Either way though I would definitely magnetize it. Do you have a dremel and magnets? Should definitely get those first and practice on something kinda crappy that you don't care about.

The main problem for that is that it needs the dreadclaw for it to be reliable, otherwise it could get immobilized in the middle of the board and effectively ignored.

How about the heavy bolters, does Mark of Tzeentch make them AP2? (regular boltguns AP5>AP3, so AP4>AP2?) As a fair few of my opponents have got necrons with destroyers which whilst don't scare my rubrics that much, the amount of shots and heavy destroyers in them....

Quite so, that build would require a dreadclaw (or suitably painted drop pod to be honest), as you say there would be little to no point footslogging that weapon loadout.

The mark of Tzeentch makes all bolt weapons and flamers AP3 so seeing as the rubrics are supplying enough AP3 bolters there doesn't seem all that much point in overloading the army with more, especially when other weapons are definitely needed.

If you're going to give it a mundane weapon like a plasma cannon or twin-linked lascannon then there isn't much point in giving it the mark of Tzeentch really, much more worth while putting the points into extra armour or a havoc launcher in that case.

But the way I see it is the contemptor is a unique unit and as such it seems worth trying to equip it with the options that other units like standard dreadnoughts, predators and obliterators can't take. Plus, it's always better to spread the threat value evenly around the army so that one target isn't obvious above all others. Having the contemptor with a heavy bolter, DCC w/ heavy flamer and mark of Tzeentch while a normal dreadnought carries a plasma cannon at the same time a unit of 2 obliterators or a couple of predators use their lascannons will dilute where the threat is coming from.

However, with that said, if you really need as many AP2 weapon platforms as possible then you can't go wrong with taking a contemptor with plasma cannon and DCC w/ plasma blaster. After all dreadnoughts are the best mounts for plasma as it can't kill them unlike obliterators and marines.

My heavy support is usually either two predators with autocannon and lascannon sponsons, and in bigger games I take a 5 man, 4 autocannon havok squad, and my elites in consist of a dread with plasma cannon and DCCW and when I have converted them, some terminators. What would be the best option when there are a lot of necron and blood angel players about with a couple of Space wolves and Eldar about? Might the Heavy bolters be a good idea as there strength and AP means that they could reliably take down destroyers and light tanks/skimmers and small infantry squads? such as lychgaurd and long fangs and Destroyers whose touhgness makes it hard for rubric bolters to damage them, would a heavy flamer in the DCCW instead of a plasma blaster be good? would pretty much any ie destroyed.nfantry squad he went after would be destroyed.

Well like I said above, mount the contemptor with whatever weapons you feel are lacking from the rest of your army. If you have enough autocannons or lascannons elsewhere then put plasma, flame or heavy bolters on it but if you still feel like you need more high strength multiple shot weapons then obviously the autocannon or butcher cannon is the way to go.

Is it going to be a firebase and remain somewhat stationary or is it going to be rushing forwards, it's function will also dictate what weapons you want to equip. If most of your enemies are going to have 2+ saves or at least 4+ invulnerable saves then maybe it worth considering not paying for the mark of Tzeentch.

MoT, 2 butcherer cannons. Psyflemen on Steroids.

The MoT doesnt do anything for the twin butcherContemptor, though, right? AP3 flamers and bolt weapons, IIRC.

That's right, the butcher cannon does not count as a bolt weapon sadly.

• 3 weeks later...
on a contemptor of tzeentch you get to reroll the 1's so two butcher cannons would be ace.. but tbh, the best you can do is butcher, ddcw

Sure you're not thinking about the MoT on the Decimator, as opposed to the Contemptor that we are discussing?

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a copy of Imperial armour Apocalypse second edition, and am thinking a twin linked heavy bolter, mark of Tzeentch, extra armour, hull mounted havok launcher and either a plasma blaster of a flamer in it's close combat weapon.

Or not take the mark of Tzeentch and just take a multi melta, butcher cannon or plasma cannon with havok launcher and plasma blaster and extra armour.

The mark of Tzeentch one would be able to tear through entire squads in a shooting phase, and pose a risk to light transports, whilst the non tzeentch would be a good all rounder.

I'm annoyed about the rather large disparity between the options for loyalist and for chaos contemptors, mainly the targeting away and the various carapace mounted launchers.

Still such a nice model though.

Could the Mark of Tzeentch be any good just for the rerolls on it's attacks? And is the reroll aplied to shooting attacks as well as close combat ones? I thought it was just close combat ones.

Archived