The B&C Blood Angels Forum VASSAL Challenge

Morticon

THE CONCEPT

We are setting up a challenge for all B&C BA members to enjoy, schedule permitting.
The basic concept is that we will take part in weekly challenges - playing each other across the world through the use of VASSAL (Explained later if you dont know it) learning and developing as we go along!

VASSAL occasionally hosts international 40k tournies, but we're not wanting to take this project on competitively.
We're wanting to have a bit of fun and make it about community, learning and fun rather than winning, alone!

THE AIM

The B&C Blood Angels Forum VASSAL Challenge aims to help us do the following:

1. Promote/Foster a greater community spirit on the B&C BA Forums!
2. Promote the Blood Angels!
3. Help BA players, old and new, learn more about the BA army lists, tactics and strategies!
4. Have fun!

THE GENERAL RULES

1. Games will be 1500, 1750, 1850 or 2000 Points - as per the most common tournament levels around the world.

(Note however, that larger games often take much longer on VASAL, so we recommend smaller the better)

2. All games will be BA vs BA.

3. Each week, one standard mission type from the 5th Ed Rule Book will be chosen as the weekly game.

4. Each week, a Map will be made by the Mods (or a guest Map designer!) and all games for that week will use that Map

5. If you play a member from the forum - you must (please, please) let us know what was played, and how it went!

ORGANISING A GAME

To organise a game with another player, we will have a sticky thread available where players can note their free times, and request challenges.

A.
Format your posts as follows:

Name: Morticon
Size: 1500 or 1750.
Time: Available Mon-Fri, 17h00 - 24h00 (+2) (Your available days in the week, the times in your zone and then the UTC location)*

NOTE: Guys, please note that since this is an international forum, we request that everyone use UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) details found here:

http://www.timeanddate.com/time/map/

As a result please include how many hours before or after you are from the UTC line.

Eg:

NYC is (-4),
Chicago is (-5)
LA is (-7)
Cape Town is (+2),
London is (+0),
Sydney is (+11)

etc, etc, etc. This way we can work out what time zones we are in and if we're available for others!

B.
Once you have organised a challenge please have the courtesy to see it through, as people will book off time for you!

C.
Label your game room in VASSAL as "BA Challenge"

GETTING STARTED

For those of you that don't know what VASSAL is, you're in for a surprise.
VASSAL is an online Java based application that essentially mimics the ability to play 40k online through the use of an awesome set of sprites and an ingeniously simple program.

You will need to download the vassal engine, found here:

http://www.vassalengine.org/

Once you have downloaded the vassal engine, you will need to get the latest 40k mod!
Unfortunately, due to copyright issues GW has asked VASSAL to remove the hosting of the latest 40k mods, and as a result we also cant provide a direct link to it as per B&C policy.

However, you can read about the latest mod here and maybe gather where to get it from that point ;) ->

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/VASSAL_40k...ule#Version_5.4

FINISHING UP AND CONTRIBUTING

Please take some snapshots (either printscreen or the VASSAL in-game button!) and post them and let us know how your batreps went and who you played and what you learned!

We'll also have a sticky thread for BatReps and discussions!

Interesting, but BA on BA all the time, every time?

In my modest opinion, it might be more interesting AND useful to allow one of the two players to play something else. That would still promote BA but you would get a much better understanding of the army than if you only play against other Angels.

The point for now and the next few weeks is to see what and how different BA players play their army. I agree 100% that you would get a better understanding of your army, but not necessarily the army.

You guys are welcome to change it up to whatever- but for the forum, it would be cool, at least for a few weeks to try this and see what we learn.

The point for now and the next few weeks is to see what and how different BA players play their army. I agree 100% that you would get a better understanding of your army, but not necessarily the army.

I disagree. You get a better understanding of the BA army by seeing how it performs agains the whole spectrum of armies out there, not by playing mirror matches all the time.

You guys are welcome to change it up to whatever- but for the forum, it would be cool, at least for a few weeks to try this and see what we learn.

Well, how about saying that the first 2-3 weeks, it's BA on BA only, after that, any matchup vs BA is good to go? I'd definetely sign up for that!

I think one of the advantages of BA on BA is getting to see how units/army styles you normally dislike or avoid work out.

But eventually it would be good to mix in other armies.

That's exactly the theory behind the madness! :)

Any plans to expand this at some point? I know I'd like to get in on it with some Wolves.

Go to the Space Wolf mods and ask them to start one up. Who knows, maybe eventually we can have all the sub-forums doing it and have inter-forum championship battles.

As a person who has had no opportunity to get out and play a game of 40k in about 7 months this is incredible. I will definetly be giving this a chance if i can find the time!

Sinful Eyes and Emperors Immortal and Lord Volg - get your times up in the time/schedule thread as soon as you can!

As a person who has had no opportunity to get out and play a game of 40k in about 7 months this is incredible. I will definetly be giving this a chance if i can find the time!

Sinful Eyes and Emperors Immortal and Lord Volg - get your times up in the time/schedule thread as soon as you can!

Well, like I said earlier, I'm not available untill after Easter, but I could put up a tenative schedule for after April 8th.

I downloaded VASSAL and have installed the latest 40k pack, I'm fooling around with it now and think I have most of it figured out, except for one simple probably incredibly dumb problem. How do I know exactly how far I can move my models?

I see when I right click them I can move them forward, back, or side to side exactly 1 or 6 inches, but what if I want to move them diagonally or something? The range thread doesn't stay on the table after I measure out a range, so I can't just measure and then move exactly that far. It seems like I have to move what I guess to be about the right distance, and then measure to check? Is this the case? Surely there is an easier way.

• 4 weeks later...
Where are the moderator made maps we're supposed to use?

Perhaps I missed that...

(sorry)

They are suppsoed to be uploaded to help with conformity as far as missions etc each week. But the BA forum peeps seem to be draggin feet a bit so, theres no real need for it at the moment sadly.

So, just go with whatevs for now!

Archived