Sons of Horus Captain

Rob_Loken

Hi folks,

I recently Dettol-ed my Masters of the Chapters. I've painted one as a Pre-Heresy Iron Warrior and my plan was to paint up another in the colours of the Emperors Children. Unfortunately my laziness meant that I couldn't be bothered to mix up a suitable purple so I decided instead to work out how to paint the Sons of Horus. So this is how far I've gotten, who knows, if I'm feeling really sadistic I may try and paint 500 points worth of the Sons of Horus for Kill Team games. Doubt it though. ;)

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae63/Astartes_Loken/IMG_1266.jpg

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae63/Astartes_Loken/IMG_1268.jpg

If you run the photo through photoshop it can turn even a bad photo into a decent one 90% of the time. Sense im not a photo expert myself I rely on that a lot. Auto Level and Auto color does the trick 75% of the time with poor lighting. FWI I turned that same model body + bits into a great emperors children sarg. Is that NMM gold?

Thanks I'll look into some of the photo editing software I've got, I'll be honest I only ever use it for cropping but I think it's about time I got to grips with it all. The gold is normal metal, I start of with Calthan brown and slowly work in shining gold and then Mithril silver on the highlights. I'll hopefully get some more done on him today and post the results up tonight.

Cool, I do the same (cropping) and for my gold i tend to base with Tau Ochre/Solar Orange 1:1, then Shining gold, then Mithril silver. Its a VERY bright gold at that point so I just give it a Sepia wash to tone it down if needed.

Are you planning on doing more work on the face? The dude looks great so far, but the one problem with him at this stage is that the very striking crux at his collar (which looks excellent, by the way) is drawing attention away from the face, which is a little odd. No doubt you've got the skills to do it, but if you don't fancy making the face more striking then it might be worth trying to make the crux a little less conspicuous with a wash or two of something.

Cheers, aye I'm going to go back to the face as its really only the base skin tones done. I just don't want to make him to white so I'm slowly building it up in an attempt to keep him bronzed. I've a tendency to rush faces so I'm purposefully on the go slow.

Hiya,

I've done a bit more work on him. I've worked on the face alot to try and get some more definition and I've pretty much finished the armour. Still a few bits and pieces to go though. I'm quite tempted to go back over the chest eagle to try and bring a few more highlights out and I might go over the braids again too.

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae63/Astartes_Loken/036.jpg

Cheers mate, the face was started with a base of Calthan Brown, then I added in a tiny bit of Tallarn Flesh and painted over it but avoiding the deepest recesses. After that I kept building up the Calthan Brown/Tallarn Flesh ratio until I had pure Tallarn Flesh. For the highlighting I used a tiny bit of Bleached Bone added to Tallarn Flesh and only hit the highest points on the face which gave it a bit more definition. I gotta be honest it's probably the best I've ever painted a face and I'm glad ssspectre pushed me to go that little bit further with it.

Looks brilliant, great colour scheme and the face is amazing, I struggle to paint faces, hence why everything has helmets in my marine forces. My only thing is that he has Imperial Aquillas on his armour which only the Emperors Children had them during the heresy, but thats me being a fluff nerd there.

Well I've got him finished, I think. I'll probably keep working on him though as theres little bits I know I can improve upon. As for the Imperial Eagles, although the Emperors Children wore them en mass, selected Marines from different legions were allowed to wear them. I believe that Garro wore one. So I figure this particular Captain did something awesome. No idea what mind, but it was definitley awesome. ;)

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae63/Astartes_Loken/001-4.jpg

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae63/Astartes_Loken/003-1.jpg

Cheeers,

Rob

cool dude, Looks much better now. The green from the last pict i can see more clearly, and yes it's rather dead on. As far as him doing something to earn his aquila, just say he jammed that chainsword up the backside of an Ork mega armored warboss.

Archived