Scout question

Stercus

I have a small conundrum and want to know what you guys think. I want to run a Telion counts-as in my codex marine army and am not sure how he functions if you put him in a 10 man squad and then split it into combat squads. Mainly, my question is: If I buy Telion as an upgrade for a scout squad equipped with three snipers, a missile launcher, and five BP/CCW guys, and then split into combat squads, do both combat squads retain the stealth rule, or do I have to buy cloaks for the combat guys for sneaky shenanigans?

Apologies if this is covered in codecii or rulebooks, I have neither to hand.

Guest Bucelufe

The Stealth capability of scout units has nothing to do with Telion and is a trait that is part of the skills of the Scout unit so that is retained by both combat squads.

All the camo cloaks do is improve the cover save of that unit of scouts by 1.

The Stealth capability of scout units has nothing to do with Telion and is a trait that is part of the skills of the Scout unit so that is retained by both combat squads.

All the camo cloaks do is improve the cover save of that unit of scouts by 1.

Uh, this is incorrect.

If you purchase the OP's unit, only the combat squad that stays with Telion will retain Telion's Stealth USR. The pistol/blade scouts lose that USR because the IC who grants it is not part of their unit.

Also, you cannot buy camo cloaks for only some of the members in a squad. It's an all-or-nothing deal. You'd end up buying 10 camo cloaks, and only 5 would be used, since they do not stack with Telion's rules. Of course, if Telion dies, the Scouts in his squad would retain the +1 cover because they still have the camo cloaks after his death, whereas if they did not have cloaks, they'd lose the +1 cover when Telion bites it.

I believe a rule of thumb with Scouts is not to mix combat and ranged weapons with intention to combat squad. At this point you're always combat squadding, so using up another Troops slot isn't a big deal (not for Marines, we don't tend to use more than 4 in non-Razor-spam armies). Same KPs, better flexibility of deployment ie. you wouldn't be able to outflank the combat half and infiltrate the sniper half if they were a big unit your had combat squadded. And, most importantly, another Sergeant to get more Ld, more attacks, and more equipment.

Also, very important if you're planning on using them in a LSS, as you can only put original 5 man squads in LSSs that are planning to Outflank.

So, the only thing that should make you consider a big 10 man unit with half snipers and half CCWs is a lack of points.

Full snipers combat squadding is fine for all intents and purposes though as you wouldn't be outflanking them and the extra Sergeant wouldn't really bring much equipment along you didn't have already. Beware though that if you have Telion for Stealth the unit without him wouldn't have it. Also, only one heavy weapon in a 10 man unit that combat squadded, if you have two separate ones you get two heavy weapons, but again more KPs and more expensive.

Well I get it all from you GC08, so you can think of it as you talking through me. ;)

Or I'll just stop and let you get on with it, Scouts are your thing after all. :)

Well I get it all from you GC08, so you can think of it as you talking through me. ;)

Or I'll just stop and let you get on with it, Scouts are your thing after all. :)

nah no worries, it doesnt matter who gives the advice.. you know your stuff pretty well too

Archived