A hunka hunka burning dreadnought love

hobointherain

Resisting the urge to build a rifleman (which will probably pop up in my army sooner or later) I've spent a while pondering over an alternative dreadnought load out that will still fit in with my army, which to be frank is very shooty and not very fighty.

So in my somewhat questionable wisdom I began musing over a dread with twin-linked heavy flamer on the right and a heavy flamer on the DCCW. Its a pretty cool concept (I think) but I'm not sure how useful it will be practically?

So what does everyone think? waste of time or worth it for a laugh?

Resisting the urge to build a rifleman (which will probably pop up in my army sooner or later) I've spent a while pondering over an alternative dreadnought load out that will still fit in with my army, which to be frank is very shooty and not very fighty.

So in my somewhat questionable wisdom I began musing over a dread with twin-linked heavy flamer on the right and a heavy flamer on the DCCW. Its a pretty cool concept (I think) but I'm not sure how useful it will be practically?

So what does everyone think? waste of time or worth it for a laugh?

I ran one when the 5th Edition Codex first came out, in a drop pod. I landed it in front of some Tau Fire Warriors in heavy cover, and spraked up the barbeque. There were no survivors.

Of course, it was the only shot it got all game, because the limited range of the flamers and the spread of the enemy troops didn't get him any more targets.

Magnetize the arms, and it'll be worth it for a laugh.

Vs some armies it could be very useful, however against mech lists it probably won't so so well, unless you put it in a drop pod and have at least 2+ so it will show up from the second turn onwards..

I ran one when the 5th Edition Codex first came out, in a drop pod. I landed it in front of some Tau Fire Warriors in heavy cover, and spraked up the barbeque. There were no survivors.

haha spectacular, i think it'd be worth it even if it only manages to toast a single squad. Might go with a pod so i can drop next to its target instead of luggign across the board. Ill probably go with a rifleman or two for the backfield and have "Ol Flamey" as a bit of a laugh

The concept of a flamer dread is cool but you might also get good mileage from a bare-bones Multimelta/ DCCW or Assault Cannon/ DCCW both on foot. While they won't add much to your close combat killyness they will certainly be invaluable to lock enemies in CC thus adding to your overall CC ability by protecting your shooty elements.

But to answer your particular question, it is worth giving it a try. Take three drop pods in your army and load two flamer dreads in two of the pods and start a forest fire on turn one :D. Goes without saying that you need to pack enough anti-armor somewhere else in your army to blow up transports.

I agree with what has been said - it'll be fiendishly effective on the disembark but otherwise might struggle. Like DarkGuard said your meta will dictate how effective it can be post drop pod. I reckon a single heavy flamer is enough and goes well with an assault cannon for cheap and flexible.

Of course, it was the only shot it got all game, because the limited range of the flamers and the spread of the enemy troops didn't get him any more targets.

Magnetize the arms, and it'll be worth it for a laugh.

The one time I ran one, it was the same scenario, vastly different result. Pod landed dead on, dreadnought walked out and lit up both flamers. After a ridiculous number of ones (and re-rolled ones), very few fire warriors died. In the next shooting phase, the dreadnought was absolutely lit up, exploded with a six inch radius, and wiped out the squad. Success?

The one time I ran one, it was the same scenario, vastly different result. Pod landed dead on, dreadnought walked out and lit up both flamers. After a ridiculous number of ones (and re-rolled ones), very few fire warriors died. In the next shooting phase, the dreadnought was absolutely lit up, exploded with a six inch radius, and wiped out the squad. Success?

success? perhaps not, but its things like that, that make the game enjoyable for me, maybe I'm half ork?

Nevertheless my inner arsonist has been thoroughly roused and I have pretty much decided to run the hunka hunka burnin dread love!

Archived