tactical squad

Sculder

Hey I'm an old BAplayer (2nd edition dex and a few scraps with the pdf.file), just started again with the hobby, bought the new dexs and noticed tactical squads are next to useless since you can't give 5 man squads a tasty melta- or plasmagun anymore,

for my second question, can I still take a razorback transport if I choose ten marines for the squad to get acces to the special/heavy weapons and then combat squad them?

a very confused player.

Your assumption is correct.

Take 10 men to get access to the special weapons, take a razorback as a dedicated vehicle and combat squad them.

That's what I do with my tacticals too.

5 men with melta or plasma gun in the razorback and a 5 men squad with lascannon sitting somewhere on the board shooting stuff.

I have been using two tactical teams with two Stormravens with a librarian, a sanguinary priest and a furioso blood talon dreadnought for each Raven in a 1500 point list. It works ok, I just need more practice. It's a lot of fun disembarking from a raven, rapid shoot a squad/monstrous creature/other target with the raven providing fire support (My ravens have typhoon rockets and hurrican bolters) and then next turn re-embark on the raven and move to the next target.

I have been using two tactical teams with two Stormravens with a librarian, a sanguinary priest and a furioso blood talon dreadnought for each Raven in a 1500 point list. It works ok, I just need more practice. It's a lot of fun disembarking from a raven, rapid shoot a squad/monstrous creature/other target with the raven providing fire support (My ravens have typhoon rockets and hurrican bolters) and then next turn re-embark on the raven and move to the next target.

What weapons do you use on the tacticals, and what powers on the Libby? I've been thinking of running a similar list, I'm not sure how well it would do though - Ravens are rather easy to kill.

The lack of special weapons in all 5-man Tac squads is something that really puzzles me to this day. Did GW really want to avoid selling us some razorbacks?

They wanted to get rid of people spamming small five man squads with full upgrades, as it was seen as unbalancing and unfluffy.

The lack of special weapons in all 5-man Tac squads is something that really puzzles me to this day. Did GW really want to avoid selling us some razorbacks?

They wanted to get rid of people spamming small five man squads with full upgrades, as it was seen as unbalancing and unfluffy.

The pendulum swung too far. Now it is unfluffy and crap.

they didnt do a very good job then considering many builds run 5 man RAS with meltas vets and either HQs , elite chapies or priests for FnP,

they did it because of one thing only . the old BA were about tacticals spaming and getting a huge unit of DC with small and cheap lascanons as support with a deathstar sized DC unit [probably with 2 chaplains or a chappy+libby] . as people already had tacticals and new players could get them from the secondery market , GW had to do something that people would buy the models.

thx for the quick response, I'm glad I can still field my razorbacks then, have 6 of them puppies lying around.

And remember your vehicles are fast. You can move 12" and still fire a weapon. 165pts gets you 5 ASM with a melta and a razorback with LC and twin linked plasma.

Comes with free whine about cheese.

What weapons do you use on the tacticals, and what powers on the Libby? I've been thinking of running a similar list, I'm not sure how well it would do though - Ravens are rather easy to kill.

One squad has a meltagun/multimelta combo the other squad has a plasmagun/plasma cannon combo. The librarians use shield and unleash rage.

And yes, Ravens are fairly easy to take out.

Archived