Custom Landspeeder

twopounder

Well, I decided to try my hand at making a multi-part model, which is essentially a land speeder replacement. I have a rough concept and some basic geometry down, but I find the design rather dubious. I figured I would ask everyone else what they though. Mind you, there isn't much detail yet, just the basic shape.

This is my rough concept. Note that those are the shoulder pads you see, I didn't draw in heads:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/GunMonkey/3d%20Prints/LandspeederProfile.png

This is what the speeder looks like compared to the sketch:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/GunMonkey/3d%20Prints/LandspeederWIP1.png

And this is the speeder with the engines rotated downward in "hover mode":

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/GunMonkey/3d%20Prints/LandspeederWIP2.png

I'm thinking the engines need to be a bit larger and maybe even raised up a little. Also, compared to a normal land speeder, it's a bit more narrow, but also taller and longer. I tried to keep the dimensions as close to the original as possible so as not to upset my opponent or gain an advantage. I'm going to make a typhoon upgrade via pylons that carry missiles/rocket pods.

I'm essentially aiming towards this kind of look:

http://media.defenseindustrydaily.com/images/AIR_AH-64D_Afghanistan_lg.jpg

Thoughs? Comments?

Cool idea. Would you be printing this on a 3d printer? If so, that would be rad! Not sure what you had in mind though.

Concept looks good, but it definitely needs smoothing/detailing.

Where will the gun be mounted? Looks like there are a number of options!

While I like the Cobra / Apache airframe profile, it's deliberately narrow to present a minimal target to a tank or other ground target that it's hunting. This is why the gunner is up & behind the pilot. By doubling the width you might as well go side by side as there is now the room. Unless you want a 4-seater like an EA-6B Prowler (Navy aircraft).

While I like the Cobra / Apache airframe profile, it's deliberately narrow to present a minimal target to a tank or other ground target that it's hunting. This is why the gunner is up & behind the pilot. By doubling the width you might as well go side by side as there is now the room. Unless you want a 4-seater like an EA-6B Prowler (Navy aircraft).

The gunners on attack helicopters sit up front, with the pilots up and behind.

Cool idea. Would you be printing this on a 3d printer? If so, that would be rad! Not sure what you had in mind though.

Concept looks good, but it definitely needs smoothing/detailing.

Where will the gun be mounted? Looks like there are a number of options!

It will be getting 3d printed in multiple parts (eventually). I have a feeling this may be a long project, as I've never made a multi-part model for 3d printing.

The main gun will be mounted in the cut out on the chin, just like an Apache/Cobra. I was torn between a twin weapon mount and hard point for the second weapon, but I realized that the normal chin mounted weapon is locked in place, so I opted for a hard point instead, so as not to gain an unfair advantage through modeling.

The cockpit is actually narrower (hard to tell from that angle) and comfortably sits a single marine, allow me to stack them. This configuration has far more advantages than making a smaller front profile. It also allows the gunner 180 degree field of view instead of being blocked by the pilot (like they are in the normal land speeder). Both the pilot and the gunner are able to see in a wide arc, making threat detection easier and giving a clearer view of the battlefield.

Archived