Marneus Calgar worth it?

Spacefrisian

I'm not familiar with the rules from the Doom of Malantai, but I am certain you can't automatically pass Leadership tests with Calgar's God of War ability, only Morale and Pinning tests. So you can't automatically pass a Mindshackle test, unfortunately.

His God of War ability is very useful, but you should also take advantage of his combat prowas since he is such a hefty points investment.

I like to give him Terminator armour, since the model rocks and he is too expensive to have a 33% chance of failing a save. However, I also really rate the tactics of putting him inside Rhino borne squads; it's just too brave for me!

Thing is, to keep costs down, an alternative to using a Landraider might be a prudent avenue of consideration. Sticking him in a Drop Pod is one solution to getting him up the table, another being to march him up the table with a Terminator squad and provide a solid centre for your army.

Or just stick him in a Landraider and gun him up the table and enjoy the show!

I really quite like the idea of a Terminator armoured Calgar in a 10 man Terminator squad with CMLs. Pricy, but he'll be similar to using Lysander in there, except he'll give more to the list, and will do better in assault as well, which is rather unbelievable as Lysander is a beast.

i made exactly the same post on 40konline and basically hes just tooo expensive for what he does and there are cheaper options that normally do better... ill post a link when i find it...

i made exactly the same post on 40konline and basically hes just tooo expensive for what he does and there are cheaper options that normally do better... ill post a link when i find it...

Who are you going to believe; a website with a solid foundation of Eldar players and only a token Space Marines community or a website dedicated to the discussion, promotion and celebration of all things power armoured?

:P

Seriously though, using Calgar doesn't work if you take your traditional Space Marines army geared out for Vulkan's special rules, or a spam of outflanking bikers etc. When you consider the majority of Space Marines armies then Calgar might look too expensive for what you get.

However, Calgar is a list all of his own. Just like Mephiston, if you put him in the wrong list he becomes a drain and liability or just ineffective. You structure your list in the knowledge you have Calgar, rather than trying to fit him into your list.

You won't find a better choice outside of Calgar and Lysander for a 10 strong Terminator squad, marching up the table. Eternal Warrior and good invulnerable saves, combined with decent offensive assault potential, gives you a solid choice to make those 10 Terminators a difficult prospect to beat.

I really like to drop him together with Sternguard. Calgar in TDA often helps to discourage the enemy to charge the squad with anything less than a 100% CC oriented unit and his bolters are also not too bad with DS2. Overall I really had very good results using that tactic. :)

what about Calgar and Lysander together with 10 termies?

Although they can't take advantage of God of War that is a seriously tough cookie. However, it is expensive and misses out (in my view) on the assaults too much.

A better combination of these two characters would probably be a 10 Strong Sternguard unit in a Drop Pod with Lysander and either another 10 strong Sternguard in a Drop Pod with Calgar, or a Pair of Terminator squads marching up the table.

Or go crazy and put them both in a Land Raider Crusader with a 5 Strong Assault Terminator squad and laugh as you roll into enemy lines. Mwah hahahaha!

Archived