Deathwing Land Raider

Angel of Solitude

I have a Land Raider which is currently painted with the colours from another chapter. However, I now want to use it as part of my DA army - specifically as a transport for my Deathwing termies. Now my first question is does the bone white Deathwing colour scheme also apply to vehicles? (I'm hoping the answer is yes :)). Secondly, I have a marine wearing power armour manning the multi-melta. Should he be sporting bone white colourings, or the normal DA green colouring?

Thanks!

The First Company maintains their own LRs, so it can certainly be DW colors. However, they could also be loaned from the Armory, so DA green is fine as well.

As for the gunner, it may be open to interpretation, but I think the general consensus is that he wold be Mechanicus red actually.

Here is a wonderful example by Winterdyne - http://www.coolminiornot.com/248434

Now, I'm not sure exactly what this says about the gunner - aside form being a tech marine of some sort - is he part of the DW or simply a part of the tank crew? I'd guess that they are seconded from the Armory to provide such support to the DW.

Bone Land Raiders are displayed in the very codex, and they are part of the armory of the 1st co, so yes, there are bone Land Raiders. Aout the crew, I saw many painted in Mechanicus colours, with green shoulder pads sporting the DA icon.

Definitely go with red for tank crews. Technically, they are all techmarines (likely in training) and attached to the armory. I imaging that the chapter's Master of the Forge and a few other techmarines (of a trustworthy sort) have been initiated into the secrets of the 1st Legion, if only to cover their bases if the guys driving the Land Raiders start asking questions.

4th Ed DA Codex, pg 31, Techmarines: "Because of the oaths sworn to the Machine-cult of Mars, the Techmarines are never initiated into the Deathwing..."

One of the more silly things written, IMO, so you may need to finagle within your own stories/ideas to get it to fit how you want it, however, official source states that the gunners and driver of a Deathwing Land Raider would either need to not be Techmarines or not part of the Deathwing, and the latter could explain why our Servitors seem to be higher quality - the DA keep having to bump off Techmarines that work with the Deathwing because they know too much. :P

Based on this, logically due to the official text, they shouldn't be Mechanicus red, but then, what do you paint Deathwing members that aren't wearing TDA, because... duh dun duh... every member of the company fights in TDA (and crew for a company vehicle would, in my mind, logically be part of the company). Maybe that's part of the Inner Circle's job: pilot and act as gunners for Deathwing vehicles. :D This may actually be the reason that the 4th Ed DA Codex doesn't depict any crew for a DA Raider outside the vehicle in any fashion.

Based on this, logically due to the official text, they shouldn't be Mechanicus red, but then, what do you paint Deathwing members that aren't wearing TDA, because... duh dun duh... every member of the company fights in TDA (and crew for a company vehicle would, in my mind, logically be part of the company). Maybe that's part of the Inner Circle's job: pilot and act as gunners for Deathwing vehicles. :ph34r: This may actually be the reason that the 4th Ed DA Codex doesn't depict any crew for a DA Raider outside the vehicle in any fashion.

I'd just go with painting them the company bone colour and not worry about the "fighting in TDA" bit - they're fighting in the most heavily armoured vehicle in the game, after all. Vehicle crews can't dismount anyway and if they were wearing TDA there would presumably then need to be some sort of fluffy explanation as to how DW Raiders could accommodate crew members who take up twice the space of non-DW crew without losing transport capacity and/or firepower. Danger of overthinking this one, perhaps?

Heh, not a simple question then!

The red techmarine scheme would be the Codex approach, but as has been identified, they're not initiated into the DW. However, my interpretation is that the honour of the bone white scheme would only ever be left to those wearing TDA, and it wouldn't seem appropriate for power armour. If you have the honour of serving in the DW but don't have the honour of fighting on the front line in a suit of TDA, then I don't believe you have sufficient honour to sport the bone white scheme.

I think what I'll do is paint the gunner in the standard DA scheme. If anybody calls me up on it, then it would make for an interesting debate!

Angel of Solitude, the gunner could just use the black Deathwing color scheme that was around before the Two Heads Talking incident, unless you want to go with "They've always been bone white and the 'incident' is just one of those made up moral tales the DA tell."

BigGumbo, I was just pointing out that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for GW to say that the whole company fights in TDA when they could just have said "The main fighting component of the company is fielded solely squads in Terminator armor." No real further explanations needed, anything else Deathwing is just not the main fighting component.

BigGumbo, I was just pointing out that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for GW to say that the whole company fights in TDA when they could just have said "The main fighting component of the company is fielded solely squads in Terminator armor." No real further explanations needed, anything else Deathwing is just not the main fighting component.

Well, that's certainly true - they also could've said DW infantry fight exclusively in TDA. It just seemed to me that there was an unspoken caveat in the Codex fluff along the lines of "obviously tank crews don't wear Terminator armour, that would be ridiculous", given that the distinction was being drawn between our 1st company and everyone else's so why would the similarities even be mentioned...

Anyway, I'm sidestepping the whole issue by painting my Raiders green and/or not modelling the crew on them.

Anyway, I'm sidestepping the whole issue by painting my Raiders green and/or not modelling the crew on them.

This. My DW raider doesnt have an exposed crewman and the two LRCs from the pool have crew with some red on them.

I typically don't model crew but (excluding the whole secret Legion thing) DAs are mostly codex adherent and I would be painting them admech. As another idea I've just thought of, how about robed stuff from the Vets box?

Cheers,

Jono

As for the gunner, it may be open to interpretation, but I think the general consensus is that he wold be Mechanicus red actually.

Agree. Mine is in mechanicus red with one DW shoulder pad...and those PA pads with DW insignia are hard to come by!

Aye it's Mechanicus red battle plate for me. With a DA symbol on the left shoulder (on green pad). Why? A bone white pad + DW symbol just 'looks wrong' on a power-armoured model - and besides technically the Deathwing doesn't induct Techmarines into its ranks. But that does seem silly as obviously they have a vast fleet of machinery to service.

My guess: first, is that the odd loyalty relationship between Chapter and Mechanicum is a tough enough cross to bear without having to worry about whether you're in the DW or not as well. And second, should the crew(s) overhear any 'Fallen talk' then they are immediately mind-scrubbed of the memory – problem solved :).

Cheers

I

4th Ed DA Codex, pg 31, Techmarines: "Because of the oaths sworn to the Machine-cult of Mars, the Techmarines are never initiated into the Deathwing..."

I agree this is a silly thing to write in our dex, never is a big call in 40k.

I haven't read it for a few years now, but wasn't Techmarine 'Wassisname' in Angels of Darkness secretly in the DW(or aware of the details)? Or was is the apothecary? I'm at work and a bit senile.

I agree with the majority that they should be red, but I paint my techmarines in green so I'm a bit buggered. I also model my pintle weapons as remote controlled to avoid the issue.

2c

stobz

I agree this is a silly thing to write in our dex, never is a big call in 40k.

I haven't read it for a few years now, but wasn't Techmarine 'Wassisname' in Angels of Darkness secretly in the DW(or aware of the details)? Or was is the apothecary? I'm at work and a bit senile.

I agree with the majority that they should be red, but I paint my techmarines in green so I'm a bit buggered. I also model my pintle weapons as remote controlled to avoid the issue.

2c

stobz

It was the apothecary that was undercover.

On the threads topic,since the crews of vehicles are tech-adepts the way to paint them would be as the techmarines(whoever you choose to paint them).

Without knowing exactly what is in each set of vows, I personally just assume that being able to faithfully hold one set of vows makes you equally capable of holding another and that DA Techmarines may actually be a little more trusted than the stock DA marine is, after all, the Inner Circle is already putting a LOT of faith in the Techmarines to keep the Chapter's most ancient gear running well anyway. Therefore the author of that little block on Techmarines either didn't know the Chapter as well as he/she thought when writing that section OR it was purposeful disinformation on the part of the Dark Angela to keep everyone else in the 40k-verse guessing.

That said, my gunners will be bearing the Deathwalker panalopy proudly, as they will have earned their place in the 1st Company in the Stoneburners.

Without knowing exactly what is in each set of vows, I personally just assume that being able to faithfully hold one set of vows makes you equally capable of holding another and that DA Techmarines may actually be a little more trusted than the stock DA marine is, after all, the Inner Circle is already putting a LOT of faith in the Techmarines to keep the Chapter's most ancient gear running well anyway. Therefore the author of that little block on Techmarines either didn't know the Chapter as well as he/she thought when writing that section OR it was purposeful disinformation on the part of the Dark Angela to keep everyone else in the 40k-verse guessing.

That said, my gunners will be bearing the Deathwalker panalopy proudly, as they will have earned their place in the 1st Company in the Stoneburners.

I would say that from indication (and not from hard facts but you know how 40k fluff is) both the mechanicus and the inner circle are too damn secretive and swear their participants into secrecy and hidden agendas.IMHO the inner circle cant afford to be lax to any and all info been either trusted to someone who,lets face it has actively loyalties to another imperial institution and could probably recover info that will help the inner circle but he will be unable to reveal due to his oaths to the admec.Or risk taking his loyalties to another level and start revealing info for whatever reason.After all the adherents of the machine god are fanatical to the extreme.

Confused you enough? Bottom line is,the DA inner circle cant trust techmarines because their ties to the cult mechanicus are not a typical trivial matter,but include information exchange and a religious loyalty.Yes the chapter must come first for any marine but techmarines are a whole different thing from your average battle brother,even among your 'normal' chapters.

I Originally had regular DA manning mine, then I decided that the only people worthy of gunning these beasts around were the DA's very own rev heads, the Ravenwing. Being that they are partially in on the secret, and they have mad driving skills. So they ended up with RW shoulderpads. Just my take to mix it up a bit.

I Originally had regular DA manning mine, then I decided that the only people worthy of gunning these beasts around were the DA's very own rev heads, the Ravenwing. Being that they are partially in on the secret, and they have mad driving skills. So they ended up with RW shoulderpads. Just my take to mix it up a bit.

Well that's a thoughtful solution and it certainly makes sense to a degree.

Actually....since LRs have two hatches, I've designated one of them for a sort of "commander's representative." He's not a member of the crew, exactly, but he's not stepping off the assault ramp, either. He knows the commander's intent, but is not any sort of expert on how to employ the tank...so he stays in vox contact with the commander, and tells the tank what he needs accomplished "get the termies to the base of that air defense tower five kilometers thataway," but not how to do it, since they're the experts on how to fight a tank.

That gives excellent justification for a green armored marine in a hatch... One of my LRCs has a (red) gunner manning the multimelta, and the other has a greenmarine with a plasma pistol in the non-gunner hatch.

Archived