Crusade Era - Blood Angels

Dr Duck

This project has been in the preparation stages for a while. Various decisions on exact era and chapter have held it up but this week I finally made a start on the messy business of build and paint!

The intention is to persue a Crusade (pre-heresy) Blood Angel chapter using a mix of MK II and MK III armour. As well as liking the asthetic of this, these phase seems to be being quite well supported by the FW releases. List wise at the moment i'm torn between a space marine list or a blood angel list, but as yet ite not impacted on model build options.

Progess Check

Currently working on

Testing out the new paints

To Do

Captain (FW Boarding Captain)

Librarian (FW Boarding Captain Convertion)

Tactical Squad (10x MK III Tactical, with special/heavy weapon)

Sanginary Gaurd (5x MK II Assault with Death Mask Heads)

Drop Pod (SM Drop Pod)

Dreadnought (Comtemptor Dreadnought)

Sanginius ( Sanginor base with head, wing and arm swap - Still sourcing parts)

WANTED (Bits i need, if you have them available please contact me!)

- Ivanus Enkomi head (For Chaplain)

- Rapier Laser Destoryer Commanders head (For Boarding Captain)

- Ogre Fire Belly flame (Dreadnought Flame)

Finished Models

- None Yet -

Pictures of the Librarian thus far.

He consits of a MKIII Boarding Captain with the FW Character Conversion set head, a warding stave & seals from a Grey Knight squad and finally the scroll and the hour glass are from an Empire flagellants set.

_MG_0322_webdp.jpg_MG_0323_webdp.jpg

_MG_0324_webdp.jpg_MG_0325_webdp.jpg

oooh :woot: looking good so far,The red is very vivid!! may i ask how you did it...for reference purposes .. :ph34r:

also you have a nice combo of parts going there,the heresy era crusade force sounds like a fun idea.

good luck with it,hope to see more.

Cheers, Mithril

Thanks :ph34r: The red is white basecoat then blood red (you might want to do 2 thin coats to get even coverage) then a heavy wash of Baal red. The final stage is a light highlighting drybrush of dwarf flesh (but thats not yet been applied in this model). Its not quite as bright in RL as in the photo, but its not far away!

I do the shoulder pads early too. Right after the blood red i apply the transfers then varnish them on. The baal red wash then removes the 'glossy' nature of the varnish making the transfer appear to be part of the armour. This work sbest with black transfers ofc.

...and while i'm at it, here is the other concept model i've built: The Sanguinary Gaurd.

Very simple kit bash, MK II assault marine with a Sanguinary head and a PA Grey Knight halberd (thank you FW for providing left and right hand options! :ph34r:)

_MG_0328_webdp.jpg_MG_0330_webdp.jpg

Contemptor dreadnought has arrived ;)

As for the painting, found that the wash layer to bring in the details darkened the armour too much but i'm reliably informed that the new paints high pigment content is a boon and so i'm waiting for there release before painting resumes.

I actually really like the idea behind the Sanguinary Guard, he should look excellent once he's all done up in gold (...assuming you're painting them gold, of course). Maybe he could use a little bit more decoration, though. It shouldn't be too hard to take a press-mould of the Blood Angels shoulder pad emblems and transfer it onto the Mark II pads, just to get some extra nice sculpted icons. If you have no idea what I'm on about I can try and find you a tutorial if that would help ;) keep up the good work, and as Kierdale said, it definitely isn't too often that you see Crusade-Era Blood Angels.

That's really nice, actually. Every damn BA heresy themed army I've clicked on to date has reached the quality of 'half decent at best', but that red stands testimony, I hope, to a shining example of the Legion.

Also, kudos on the cool conversion of the Boarding Marine. I think I kept two for myself, and if I did, one will definitely be converting one. Probably to use as a captain, and very differently from yours, but you've given me the confidence to do it. Thanks.

I don't often visit the B&C, but I'll check back in to see how this goes...

Finding a balance between ornateness and the age/era of the armour is quite tricky. I've got access to a full Sanquinary Gaurd kit now for bits and I was trying out combo's last night.

I've decided to keep the troops in the same style as the one already shown, but for the squad leader I opted to go a bit more ornate and made use of both the pads, weapon and chest from the current kit. I felt the axe had the classic feel to it i was after of all the weapons.

I'm also planning to use the banner, but for me this is more likely to go onto one of the troops.

_MG_0336_webdp.jpg

Also:

- Yes they will be gold

- If you try to use warm water to repose the captain be careful, the tight pose means that its very easy to stretch the armour plates as you try to reposition arms or legs. I effectivly left the body in the same position and used weapon and head position to change the feel of his stance.

More building progress while we wiat for paint. This time the banner bearer.

The Mk III armour seems well suited to making arm position changes and both arms here had to be cut around the elbow to reposition them, but the plate gaps hide it nicely

_MG_0338_webdp.jpg_MG_0340_webdp.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Somewhat of a quiet time on this as it took an age to ge the paints, but i have them now so i've testing away to get the things right. The reds are prooving a little tricky but on the upside the golds have worked well so i'm looking to do the Sanguinary gaird first.

I've also found some wings I like for me Sanginius conversion (below). Crocodile games are the source and its one of the bits from the aegyptus range. I've posted them up as i know it took me a lot of searching to find man sized feathered wings in the right pose, and thought others might find it useful.

https://www.crocodilegames.com/content/storeImg/WGE-214c.jpg

I'm very surprised there are so few replies to this thread. Pre heresy is full of cool, and this army looks to be heading in exactly the right direction (the cool direction). Just a question though: Would the Sanguinary guard be wearing death masks during the crusade?

Since the Primarch was still kicking at the time, they can be Love Masks. Or Daddy of the Year Masks.

This is what's great about Pre-Heresy projects...we get to see golden Sanguinary armour with all the cabling and steampunkish style of the 'Good Ol' Days'. Blessed be you, Duck. I mean, Dr. Duck.

I'm very surprised there are so few replies to this thread. Pre heresy is full of cool, and this army looks to be heading in exactly the right direction (the cool direction). Just a question though: Would the Sanguinary guard be wearing death masks during the crusade?

No to Death Masks Pre Heresy as Sanguinius is not yet deceased ;) I'm sure some fluff can be invented to cover this by the OP though.

I guess there aren't many replies as the pics have been slow to appear, what is here looks good as a WIP we just need more ;)

Part of the reason for the delay has been the struggle to get my hands on the new paints, but i do have them now and i'm just testing out their usage.

As for the masks, yes your right that 'death masks' wouldn't be about, however to me the masks were a very important factor in identifying them as sanguinary gaurd rather than just assault marines. I also figured that they could be viable as just ornate helmets rather than 'death masks'

Hopefully more progress soon on the painting and another suprise conversion i'm working on.

• 1 month later...

Been a long time since posting but in the mean time been trying lots of different painting techniques with the new paints to try to get the look 'just so'.

More pics as soon as i've finished the first prototype :)

Archived