What to build

Paulochromis

Hi there,

My son (age 9!) has a "semi-pure DW" army featuring Belial (2LC) + TDA Libby + 4 mixed arms DW squads + 2 dreads + AC/LC predator.

Only the one TH/SS termie at present (army built prior to the 3++ FAQ). I do have 5 TH/SS arms available so will probably pick up an AoBR set and add 5 TH/SS.

It also depends on what's in the 6e starter set!

Anyway, the point of the post is that my son wants to get some PA troops in.

He likes the robed marines (so do I) and I have most of the contents of the vets boxset available.

I don't know whether to build:

-- command squad (in DP?) (5 man limit)

-- vets in DP (multi-purpose, but get expensive fast)

-- devs (heavies are expensive, but devs can sit in the backfield with pred and long-range dread as firebase)

DP units can provide distraction, and early but non-lasting mobility, but the termies do this already.

What do you guys think?

Cheers, Paul.

I am more of a fan of the command squad since it can take an apothecary.

I'm leaning towards the command squad.

I assume I can't field both an upgraded DW squad AND a command squad with just Belial as HQ, but ok if I run the Libby as well?

Also on personal note,i use standard PA marines as devastators,aint it a bit silly to carry those huge guns and have robes flapping around?

My kid's pretty smart - it would be an insurance policy to stop me stealing his devastators for my own C:SM army.

My other son uses robed marines in his C:CSM army as aspiring champs, but they don't carry heavies.

You can run them both as far as I can tell, it doesn't make much sense but the upgraded terminator squad does not count as a command squad. You can't, as I learned in another thread, take a company champion with Belial though. Which is ok because he's trash anyway.

You can run them both as far as I can tell, it doesn't make much sense but the upgraded terminator squad does not count as a command squad. You can't, as I learned in another thread, take a company champion with Belial though. Which is ok because he's trash anyway.

This.

Yep. Belial is the baddest of the bad, so he gets 2 command squads (say what?)

We have the cheapest rhinos/razorbacks in the game and our pods are more expensive... Just sayin...

Command squad, two meltas, two power weapons and a banner or Apoth.

our razorbacks are 50 points...not the cheapest in the game by a long shot.

DP units can provide distraction, and early but non-lasting mobility, but the termies do this already.

I think that this is the exact reason to take the pods. A distraction is nice, but overwhelming force at the same place can be very difficult to deal with for some builds. I run an all drop pod build alongside two groups of Deathwing, and it has performed very nice throughout 5th edition. You've got to have your head on straight and know when to not actually use the pods for getting close (Blood Angels come to mind) because they want you in that close, but you can still use them for blocking movement lanes/providing cover for your squads.

Our pods might be more expensive in the points than other marines, but I still think they're the best transport option for our army considering how many units we have that can deepstrike/outflank onto the field.

Now, as far as which squad to put into the pod, I would vote for the command squad. I've never been all that thrilled with our veteran squad options. Just my two cents...

Archived