Teleport Hthey'd

McSnow

I have only just started getting back into W40K in the last few weeks so I'm still tactically inexperienced but for the few games I have played I have found teleport homers to be little more than useless but maybe I'm doing it all wrong.

Reading C:SM the idea of them seemed brilliant. For 15 points I could guarantee that my terminators will arrive exactly where I want then to, assuming my teleport homer is within 6" of where I want them.

The problem is that the teleport homer has not yet once been anywhere near where I need them, usually because my reserve rolls have meant they've always come on in the 2nd turn when I'm not close enough to utilise the Teleport homer effectively. I could instead try using it with scouts instead but I wouldn't particularly want my Scouts infiltrating anywhere near the units my Assault terminators would be focusing on.

I've just swapped it out my list for other unit upgrades for the time being but I'm curious does anyone use them successfully?

I've used them with some success on tri-melta torpedo Scout teams. Now their job is to hit dangerous enemy tanks hard and fast, and are therefore in a position to call down Terminators near to your opponent's frontline, or infact in their deployment zone. However, getting them to survive is one thing, and the Terminators are also left without support, so hasn't always worked well.

I think with Terminators in general, it's often very risky to deep strike. Big bases increases size of unit footprint, and even a 5 man squad is 200+pts. Very risky then. Often it's better to footslog them in an support role. For Assault Terminators, they'd run behind Rhinos.

Of course there is the Land Raider, which while being a costly investment can protect the Assault Terminators, increases their speed, and gets them to where they need to be. Assault ramp is brilliant as well.

That said, if you want to stick with teleport homers, then IMO midfield isn't a bad place to use them. For Tactical Terminators that's where they want to me, for Assault Terminators you can run to spread out, get into cover, move closer to the enemy. Then next turn you should hopefully be in place for an assault.

So, Rhino borne teleport homers, and Scout borne teleport homers moving into midfield should be fine, you just need a bit more patience.

Have you considered using a homing beacon on a drop pod? It's cheaper than a teleport homer, can be placed in close proximity to your desired target, and stands a good chance of being overlooked by your opponent. After all, it's just a drop pod, right? :(

Hah, I am not a patient person DarkGuard. I think that when I have the cash I might buy a land Raider for my assault terminators (I'm also tempted to buy Marneus Calgar and put him in there too!).

I never noticed the locator beacon on drop pods before, perhaps because it's not mentioned at all on their detailed page in C:SM, I don't have or have ever used at any point drop pods but it's definitely something I will look into now, thanks.

This is just my thought. I’ve never actually tried this.

Get a 5-man assault squad for ~100pts. Remove their jump packs and put them in a drop pod (for free), and add a beacon to the drop pod (for 10pts?). Add flamer or plasma pistol to taste.

Drop pod comes down turn one. Scatter is a pain, but at least you can’t really mishap. Assault squad runs out, and distracts the enemy. At best the live and do damage, at worst they get slaughtered and no one even notices the drop pod they rode in on. Turn 2 or 3, you can deep strike your army pretty close to where you want them using the homing beacon.

You could also put a non-suicide squad in the pod, but I think they are making a one way trip. An empty drop pod is too suspicious, so an assault squad of fail is a cheap way to disguise your real threat.

This is a waste of ~110 points, but if you’re set on deep striking, this will land you pretty close without risk of mishap. You could drop 10+ terminators via this meathod, which is more than a land raider can carry.

Well if you're not that patient then locator beacon Drop Pod or Scout bikers.

The later is cheaper, and can skirt around the edges, being a nuisance but not a target, and then boost to where they need to be the turn before you want to bring down the Terminators. 3+ cover, and you're opponent will never see it coming.... I hope :tu:.

This is just my thought. I’ve never actually tried this.

Get a 5-man assault squad for ~100pts. Remove their jump packs and put them in a drop pod (for free), and add a beacon to the drop pod (for 10pts?). Add flamer or plasma pistol to taste.

Drop pod comes down turn one. Scatter is a pain, but at least you can’t really mishap. Assault squad runs out, and distracts the enemy. At best the live and do damage, at worst they get slaughtered and no one even notices the drop pod they rode in on. Turn 2 or 3, you can deep strike your army pretty close to where you want them using the homing beacon.

You could also put a non-suicide squad in the pod, but I think they are making a one way trip. An empty drop pod is too suspicious, so an assault squad of fail is a cheap way to disguise your real threat.

This is a waste of ~110 points, but if you’re set on deep striking, this will land you pretty close without risk of mishap. You could drop 10+ terminators via this meathod, which is more than a land raider can carry.

This is pretty much exactly what I was thinking. You could also go for a bare-bones dreadnought, about the same price and potentially more of a distraction for your opponent. With my podded dread stomping around the backfield there's been times when my opponents have completely forgotten that the pod is contesting their objective.

I've used them with some success on tri-melta torpedo Scout teams. Now their job is to hit dangerous enemy tanks hard and fast, and are therefore in a position to call down Terminators near to your opponent's frontline, or infact in their deployment zone. However, getting them to survive is one thing, and the Terminators are also left without support, so hasn't always worked well.

the problem with that is the storms disruption beacon causing interference with the homer, your scouts would need to be 6" from the storm, which isnt easy to achieve

I personally used to use the basic 3 scout bikers with Locator Beacon to bring down any deep striking stuff. But the whole Melta 1st turn spam and was getting a little to predictable. So now I just use LoTD for the re-roll deep strike and a Multi-melta that can be used on the move personally. Also rember deep striking terminators can only shoot not assault on the turn they land. Meaning they have to take a turn of shooting usually plasma or a huge amount of anything else.

Is it a nice tactic to suprise your opponent with? Sure is just do not rely on it. I think is the main point as dice can be fickle and send those terminators off the board.

the problem with that is the storms disruption beacon causing interference with the homer, your scouts would need to be 6" from the storm, which isnt easy to achieve

Of course, I forgot about that :D

Archived