How to use DC with Bolters

ASSASSINAWOKEN

I don't have CCW DC built so I can proxy Bolter DC with a tactical squad. Kind of experimenting with DC. I thought about Lemartes, but with no JPs and Bolters I think I can try him out later.

However I am kind of stuck on how to equip and field them.

Can a unit of 5 with a PW do well on their own or should I increase their numbers up to maybe 10 at the most.

I think walking won't get them very far so would a Rhino be sufficient or a LR?

I believe a Rhino could suffice because of the get out a shoot to full effect rule. The LR is another option for the get out, shoot to full effect and then assault, plus the LR provides excellent protection along with fire support for the DC and everything else.

Am I thinking clearly?

I use 5 guys with 1-2 power weapons in a razorback. They are accompanied by a reclusiarch/chaplain depending on the rest of the army.

It's sufficient for me. I use them as a mini death star/ counter attack unit. They crush everything I want them to (4 attacks on the charge, lots of PW attack; rerolling to hit AND to wound). Obviously I don't set them up against a 10 terminator death star, but that wouldn't make sense anyway.

I have no experience with bolters though.

I use 5 bolter DC with a Reclusiarch equipped with a combi-melta (BS5 melta shot) in a Razorback with twinlinked assault cannon. When I have a good game with them they are really fun, but I have found that DC in a transport draw far more flak than JP DC's.

Also, watch out for the rapid fire before you charge. Your opponent might remove models from the front of the unit to deny you the charge.

As said above, power fists should be included. 1 for every five guys is good. You can also add a couple of power weapons so they can charge something a little tougher instead of a vulnerable squishy unit.

I think it would be smart to try and field a higher concentration of bolters vs Initiative 6 and above targets. (genestealers, GK Halbard Terms, Banshees, etc.) so you get to put more attacks into them before they start swinging. But besides that math says the extra CC attack will be more effective vs Int. 5 or lower targets, specially if your rerolling to hit and wound. working on gettin a DC right now, but think I will mix and match the load out I bring based on the army I play against.

math says the extra CC attack will be more effective vs Int. 5 or lower targets, specially if your rerolling to hit and wound.

This ^^. There is an argument that if you get kited due to rage then having bolters might give you a chance to still do some damage but frankly I'd rather not dilute the combat effectiveness of the DC on the off chance that someone manages to achieve that.

I pray for a different ruling of rage in the 6th edition to make DC without a transport usable.

Sadly I expect any such changes to include that you must assault the nearest enemy unit, which would severely limit the usefulness of any raging troops. Might be alright if they return the ability to resist rage with a chaplain in the unit.

Why are you so distraught about dc without a transport being unusable? I've never had any probs with them...

Because I want to decide where to move my units and whom to attack myself.

Putting them into a transport solves these issues partially.

; )

I ended up running a 10 man Tactical squad in a rhino and a 10 man DC in a LR. I originally had the transports switched, but changed the rides once I knew I was facing dual artillery vehicles. Amazingly enough the LR protected the DC for the entire match to deliver them to the enemy lines despite having both sponsons and the vehicle itself eventually destroyed. The DC never got to fire their Bolters and assaulted two lascannon teams in two different turns.

I don't think this was an adequate display of their Bolter power, however, their assault power was ridiculous, lol.

Why are you so distraught about dc without a transport being unusable? I've never had any probs with them...

Because I want to decide where to move my units and whom to attack myself.

Putting them into a transport solves these issues partially. ; )

@Kardion: have your DC been "distracted" recently or are you just hypothesizing? If so, I don't understand how if there are 10 other units out there dealing with the enemy's 10-11 units!?! Without a transport ie. jumppacks, you would walk them behind your vehicles and release them against an enemy unit while the rest of your army deals with the enemy. After/if they decimate their target then they can go on to the next in line. But 9 out of 10 times that next unit has been engaged already and your DC should just mop up the mess. They should be attacking on a flank and rolling across the battlefield with support covering their rear so that they don't get "distracted". I hate that term that often gets used because people read it and think that's an actual strategy against us. I love exploiting their ineffectiveness. Playing DC is like lining up a triple-combination pool shot: hit one, then the other, then the next until there's nothing left. By the time they hit that deathstar unit they should have support meeting them there.

To all DC users: If you allow your DC to get "distracted" then YOU are doing something wrong! Mine have never, and will never let me down. :lol:

To all DC users: If you allow your DC to get "distracted" then YOU are doing something wrong! Mine have never, and will never let me down. :D

If your opponent is not putting any units in positions where they are visible to your DC and therefore pulling your DC in a direction of their choosing then your opponent is doing something wrong.

Gotta agree with the above. If the opponent can't put a unit where the DC can see them, and therefore take them ou of your control, the the opponent is doing something wrong.

I like to keep my DC cheap, and as a counter attack unit.

7-8 DC, 1 PF, rhino.

Cheap as chips and cn nod some serious damage.

Gotta agree with the above. If the opponent can't put a unit where the DC can see them, and therefore take them ou of your control, the the opponent is doing something wrong.

I like to keep my DC cheap, and as a counter attack unit.

7-8 DC, 1 PF, rhino.

Cheap as chips and cn nod some serious damage.

What brand of chips,lol, and flavor? Seriously you might be right keeping the unit just under 10 models kind of helps pay for the transport.

On a side not, has anyone effectively delivered Bolter DC in a drop pod to a good effect?

9 bolter DC with 2 PF with a chaplain or reclusiarch in a drop works awesome. I set them down next to an isolated squad of ten rival marines, and wiped out over half the squad. Even though my opponent charged my DC squad on his turn, I still wiped out the last of the squad. Against weaker enemies like tau, guard, or eldar it works even better.

The 2 PF and the chaplain are what really makes this work well. I haven't used the bolters for mine, but I could see it being pretty good. I'll have to try some out and see how they do. I might model some up if they work out. Not having much luck with my DC dread, last game he only managed to stun and destroy one weapon on a hellhound. He blew up on the only lascannon shot to hit him, he had cover, but whiffed it. I'm thinking of dropping a DC squad and dread together in the first two pods, might make it harder to knock out that way.

Archived