Honour guard + assault marines

Enzephalon

Hi guys,

I was thinking a while how to run my honour guard.

Since they are only partially built I decided to proxy them for todays game as follows:

4x plasma guns, 2x storm shields, 1x power weapon, chapter banner.

They were driving around in a razorback with TL heavy flamer.

In the razorback I also put a librarian with shield of Sanguinius and might of heroes.

And now the clue...

They were accompanied by a 10 men assault marine squad with two melta guns.

The marines gained profit of the FNP,FC/chapter banner (+1 attack) bubbles.

Further they were used as a living shield to give the razorback a 4+ cover save while the libby gave them a 5+ cover due to shield of Sanguinius.

Synergy at its best if you ask me.

I was going against an infantry heavy Space wolves army.

The honour guard rushed to the middle of the board, got out and gunned down 4 guys of a 5 men termy squad althoug they were in cover.

The assault marines have been behind a few inches due to terrain.

Next turn they survived an attack from the remaining terminator and 3 guys of thunderwolves cavalry with only 2 casualties. In summary the storm shield were totally worth it (speakin' about power weapon attacks). The assault marines rushed in to help out and with +1 attack and furious charge they crushed the TWC.

For the remainder of the game the honour guard turned two other assaults (where the assault marines were involved) to my favour due to the sanguinary novitiate, and wittled down some more marines with there plasma guns, surviving every 'gets hot' roll because of feel no pain.

It really was fun to use them and I probably don't leave home without them for the next games, since they really were my men of the match.

As a side note. On the bottom of turn 5 he only had 2 marines left while half of my army was still alive.

They were accompanied by a 10 men assault marine squad with two melta guns.

The marines gained profit of the FNP,FC/chapter banner (+1 attack) bubbles.

As a quickie because I made the same mistake myself in another game, the +1 attack recieved from the banner is only applicable to the unit who has the banner which can either be Honour Guard or Sanguinary Guard. The banner still has a 12" range for morale tests though. However don't forget you get +1 attack for charging, which is completely unrelated to the banner and which any unit in 40K gets when charging.

Hmmm... my bad...

Have been sloppy on the reading.

I didn't mention the +1 attack on the charge seperately. Should be obvious for everyone who read the basic rulebook. I played them with 4 attacks on the charge, which was pretty nice (and not allowed as turned out ^^)

; )

Thanks for pointing out the rules of the banner though... I think I still keep it though, because it looks cool. ^^

only the sanguinor gives out the +1 attack aura. I think part of the confusion comes form the fact the BA release white dwarf that described the chapter banner a sgibving a +1 attack bubble, incorrectly of course!

It's a shame.

Whilst this strategy is still viable to me it loses a lot of punch. Too bad. ^^

Yea, the banner on a shooty HG squad is pointless.

Unbleash rage on the asm squad would have pretty much the same effect, though, even hitting on 3's with 30 attacks on the charge is 10 misses, and 10 rerolls, which is the equivalent of 10 bonus attacks.

Yea, the banner on a shooty HG squad is pointless.

Unbleash rage on the asm squad would have pretty much the same effect, though, even hitting on 3's with 30 attacks on the charge is 10 misses, and 10 rerolls, which is the equivalent of 10 bonus attacks.

You made a good point there.

I might attach the libby to the RAS instead of the HG to do this.

Archived