Dark Angel Whirlwind

Reaper223

Hello there!

Was just curious if anyone knows the exact rule about our Whirlwinds and "Pinning"? I see they are no longer considered "Barrage" weapons and now they roll as Ord.1

I seen they changed the SM codex to replace Barrage with Ord 1 as well.

Still fairly new to playing any kind of SM army so was hoping for some insight about this. Thanks in advance for any help you can toss my way!

Yes, they still pin.

I believe the wording simply removed the old way of guessing distance. Now you either fire indirectly or directly, the later requiring line of sight. Without LOS, you can't subtract your ballistic skill. If any enemies are removed, the squad takes a pinning test. Firing without LOS is nice, having a couple Whirlwinds camped behind cover all game - they are a big annoyance in some cases.

They have their uses against certain armies (like hordes and squishy Space Elves) but against MEQ you are better off leaving them at home. Though they do present at least that distraction factor and your opponent may choose to take care of them - meaning you have at least one less unit of his to worry about for the moment

Thanks for the fast reply, sorry I wasnt able to do the same :lol:

I figured they could still pin but wanted to make sure before I try one with my Deathwings.

EDIT: Also I was curious about another "barrage" rule. The person that got me into Warhammer was using 3 blast templates with his whirlwind when he fired... I told him I was fairly certain it was only one template unless they fire multiple shots. He showed me the picture in the Rulebook that shows a barrage of 3 templates and how to sort out the scatter and hits. But it blatently says thats for multi-barrage weapons.

Who is right here? From the fairly simple text it seems I would be, however I dont want to push the issue and find out im wrong... This player is constantly getting 4th ED and 5th ED rules mixed up but refuses to ever give ground in an argument until I can prove him wrong thru the FAQ or Codex rules.

Archived