What represents a storm shield?

Belchuil

As the topic description suggests, when a model has a storm shield, does it have to actually be a shield-like object, held in a hand?

As storm shields are taken on top of weapon choices (eg in the command squad option for SM "Any veteran make take....a storm shield"), I'd assume that say a veteran would be able to have:

thunder hamer

melta gun

storm shield

My question is, could I model the storm shield as some kind of (eg backpack-mounted) enegy field generator (like a rosarius), or does it have to be an actual "shield" held in either hand?

Cheers :D

As long as you model it consistently and explain it to your opponent then go ahead. Vulkan has a cloak that functions exactly like a storm shield, and it's not even got a power generator!

I think you will have less confusion if you stick with a shield. The backpack apparatus or other "shield generators" tend to be used for things like the Ork Kustom Force Field or DE flicker fields. These provide cover saves and not invulnerability saves.

I will tend to go with the rule of cool, especially for special characters so I would not have a problem with you saying "this is his personal force field which acts like a storm shield." But I would hate to tell you to go ahead when it could be used as an argument against you in a tourny.

If I were going to model the veteran in your example, I would either have him carry the shield and hammer in his hands and have a melta gun slung over one shoulder or carry the hammer in one hand, melta in the other and the shield across his back. It does not necessarily have to be in his hand any more than a bolt pistol does for you to use it. It just needs to be on the model to fulfill any wysiwyg requirements.

Well, ruleswise you could equip a command squad veteran with two pairs of lightning claws (ie four individual claws), a storm shield and then make him a standard bearer IIRC, so that is not really something to go by. I'd stick with an actual shield, but if you found a cool, fluffy alternative fitting your marine's style - like using mantles of dragon scales for salamanders - I wouldn't mind as long as it is consistent and identifiable, ie all models with dragon scale cloaks are actually models with storm shields, and you don't have dozens of other items modelled differently from their original design, so I don't have to keep more than one or two of these things in mind.

Archived