Marines Malevolent, XX Centuria

Montuhotep

Yep, only a hot two models put together so far; but eventually this will be a ten strong squad with 2 flamers, riding around in a rhino. As you can tell from Brother Brutus (I don't need a chainsword, I'll stick this in you instead) and Sergeant Graan, much inspiration has been looted shamelessly (in the finest of MM traditions) from 1000 Heathens.

gallery_34078_2164_866689.jpg

I wanted more a look of the knife about to come down instead of in mid-stroke.

Head is from the new FW tank crew. Seemed to fit nicely.

gallery_34078_2164_877650.jpg

An old plasma pistol seemed appropriate,

looted from some poor sod somewhere who had no further uses for it.

gallery_34078_2164_804398.jpg

Seven kills in one fight, acceptable.

Looted Blood Angel plate, next.

Looking good, man. The battle damage looks nice, and there's nothing better about being a MM player than being able to recover and repaint used minis, since the abuse can be worked into the models, lol. Can't wait to see more, bro!

XX Centuria has been recognized as activated, and it's colors unfurled. Carry the Emperor's hatred into the dark corners of the galaxy, Hero-Captain Paladin.

Trample the weak, hurdle the dead, brother.

Looking good, man. The battle damage looks nice, and there's nothing better about being a MM player than being able to recover and repaint used minis, since the abuse can be worked into the models,

Many thanks - and I shall freely confess that was one of the reasons for picking them! Plus your paintjobs in particular make them look epicly good.

I like where your army's going but one pointer( and I realize its a bit late) When doing scratches I find it's much easier and looks better IMO to paint them on by putting a darker color underneath and highlighting the edge, as opposed to carving up the whole model. Its up to you in the end but I think you'll save a lot of work that way and I know I was pretty thrilled with the result when I found out how to do it.

I like where your army's going but one pointer( and I realize its a bit late) When doing scratches I find it's much easier and looks better IMO to paint them on by putting a darker color underneath and highlighting the edge, as opposed to carving up the whole model. Its up to you in the end but I think you'll save a lot of work that way and I know I was pretty thrilled with the result when I found out how to do it.

I take the point and may well use it in the future, but I figured that since this is an assault squad they have a tendency to get carved up a bit more than a tactical squad might. Also, the kill marks for the sergeant are just showing off, so have to be deep enough to be seen a long way away! ;)

3 more assault marines for your consideration:

gallery_34078_2164_1226.jpg

gallery_34078_2164_3541.jpg

gallery_34078_2164_25245.jpg

Not sure what the Space Wolves would find more offensive with the last guy - the fact that he's swiped one of their chainswords or that he's also wearing a Dark Angels pack.....

Not sure what the Space Wolves would find more offensive with the last guy - the fact that he's swiped one of their chainswords or that he's also wearing a Dark Angels pack.....

The chainsword, definitely. Any one who loots/steals/plays practical jokes on Dark Angels is okay in our book :)

Love the models, especially the battle damage. Can't wait to see more.

2 more to the mix.

One poor sod who's had his arm blown off and crap mangled out of his MK2 shoulder plate:

gallery_34078_2164_2366.jpg

(Not sure whether the arm bone is still a little too long for this guy - opinions?)

And aforementioned loony with a bunch of gap filling to be done:

gallery_34078_2164_17552.jpg

The arm bone isnt too long if the arm was indeed blown off. However, if that is the case you might want to add some mutilated muscle and skin tissue. It would be a very jagged and dirty "cut". Only a slice from a very sharp edged weapon would give you a "clean" cut.

For a quick visual reference, check out the cover art for Graham McNeill's The Killing Ground

It would rather depend on what weapon took his arm off. Was it from a gun or from some form of close coombat weapon? A hit from a chainsword/bolter/choppa or Tyranid would definitely be jagged but a hit from a powerweapon would be clean but the would edge would be burned/charred

First, I would establish what type of weapon it was exactly that removed half of his limb. You could even go so far as to describe the type of ammunition if it was an ammunition fed weapon.

After that has been established, you will have an idea of how the wound will look.

As has been stated, gunshot and explosive wounds will, with the addition of chainsaw themed weapons, have a jagged and dirty appearance to them. This is because the teeth of a chainsword, or the shrapnel from an explosive, literally rips tissue apart. A bolter shell, an explosive round designed to explode once it has penetrated the target, will also create shrapnel that will have a similar effect. Even some of todays modern ammunition is capable of this.

A power weapon will create a precise cut that, if focused on removing a limb, will leave a perfect slice and will probably cauterize the wound.

A hit from a meltagun will quite obviously melt whatever it hits.

Now, I am by no means an expert at modeling these things. But I believe that if you have some sort of reference or idea of how it is supposed to look than you are already ahead of the game. An arm hit by a explosive round for example, will look like a badly torn up or shredded piece of meat. A slice from a power weapon will be similar to what you see in star wars when theyre hit by lightsabers. A blast from a meltagun will leave a molten appearance.

So I think the simplest way of approaching this, while being as realistic as possible, is green stuff and paint. Look at some photos online. They dont have to be of real wounds, they can be similar to the examples Ive given.

I look forward to the rest of your work and hope that I have provided sufficient help.

Flamer 1, Mark 5 Heresy Suit:

gallery_34078_2164_22833.jpg

I've gone for a more compact flamer here, first pioneered on the B & C by Veteran Sergeant, on the rationale that an assault squad would probably optimise their gear and not have long obstructing barrels swinging around the place.

Flamer 2 next - advancing to contact.

Archived