New Sr

BloodTzar

The Stormraven is not the most aesthetic of vehicles to be honest, but it looks so freaking brutal that it holds a place in my heart :teehee: It's basicaly a flying red punch right in the face of the enemy, so very BA!! :tu:

This nimble looking thing just doesn't cut it for me...

GW's Stormraven model didn't live upto my expectations. There are aspects I like about the kit, but as a whole I don't like it.

Now Forgeworlds StormEagel on the other hand I think is exactly what the Stormraven should have looked like. Yes this just my opinion and I know others will always disagree with me. But personally, I'm concidering dropping my own kitbashed Stormraven's in favour of this design. Yes I'd be altering it slightly so the load out will be in line with BA's Stormraven rules. And I'd defy anyone to say I couldn't field it as a Raven.

CTK

I like the fact that our Storm Raven is a true assault vehicle. Where we can have a dreadnought transported around, to join in on the melee. The Storm Eagle is primarly a support vehicle hence the vengence launchers and amount of troops it brings in. Not in my budget, and I'm good with my HS SR any day.

To have almost the same firepower as one of our Stormravens this silly thing is way overpriced. The extra marine capacity is nice, but I'll take the dreadnought cradle. Not to mention that you can't specialize the weapons fit the same way we can. That rocket pod will always be AP and basically useless against anything with an armor value. Once again the Blood Angels win big for fewer bucks. ;)

I'll admit, at first I was devastated to see that this was not an option for our chapter, but then I had a look at points costs and rules. The stormraven has a valid punch with a standard loadout at or near it's base cost. For this stormeagle, I would be looking at a model costing at least 300 points for a loadout that packed any punch other than its carrying capacity, not to mention the unit to go inside (20-man DC squad anyone?). As a result, this model really is only viable for my style of play in an Apocalypse style game, in which I would be able to use it anyway. Not to mention the price of the kit, which would easily net two stormravens. I can really only see myself getting this model for a standard army if I played terminators as troops. Besides, I think my eye is more focused on the older mark power armour apothecaries and the sweet land raider spartan. If I can find a way to magnetize the sponsons to allow a single twin-linked lascannon on each, I'll be using that as a standard land raider.

Where were the rules posted?

I'll admit, at first I was devastated to see that this was not an option for our chapter, but then I had a look at points costs and rules. The stormraven has a valid punch with a standard loadout at or near it's base cost. For this stormeagle, I would be looking at a model costing at least 300 points for a loadout that packed any punch other than its carrying capacity, not to mention the unit to go inside (20-man DC squad anyone?). As a result, this model really is only viable for my style of play in an Apocalypse style game, in which I would be able to use it anyway. Not to mention the price of the kit, which would easily net two stormravens. I can really only see myself getting this model for a standard army if I played terminators as troops. Besides, I think my eye is more focused on the older mark power armour apothecaries and the sweet land raider spartan. If I can find a way to magnetize the sponsons to allow a single twin-linked lascannon on each, I'll be using that as a standard land raider.

A rather kind patron of the Forge World event (Minudra on Warseer) took a photo of the experimental rules set.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/ronwheezy/20120401_095532.jpg

Someone posted the picture, but Forgeworld has the rules up on their site now(incase you are interested in saving/printing them):

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Prod.../Stormeagle.pdf

To have almost the same firepower as one of our Stormravens this silly thing is way overpriced. The extra marine capacity is nice, but I'll take the dreadnought cradle. Not to mention that you can't specialize the weapons fit the same way we can. That rocket pod will always be AP and basically useless against anything with an armor value. Once again the Blood Angels win big for fewer bucks.

I'd imagine that point disparity was by design. BA and GK were designed with a Skimmer Transport vehicle in mind. For balance purposes, it makes sense to make a similar vehicle more expensive by comparison for others. (You wouldn't want to make other codicies better at being BAs and GKs than BAs and GKs. :) )

I have to say I do like the look of the new model, but the price tag, for lack of better words, is "too d@#$ high!". The same results can be achieved with some plasticard, green stuff and a little can do attitude (I jest).

After looking at the chapter house kit and our storm raven kit I sat down at my drawing board and sketched up some plans to make a kit that looks exactly like the Storm eagle model for almost half the cost. And actually it’s really not that hard (I say this now before I’ve actually attempted to build it). I have decided to try my design and see how long it takes me, the level of difficulty etc. once I’m done ill post a step by step walk through, I encourage my battle brothers to do the same.

Archived