Is Abaddon a failure?

Ok what about a million million systems of roughly 5-8 planets each?

Given that the biggest figure for the number of stars in the 40K galaxy (old Rogue Trader) put it as 400 billion stars- and later books seem to prefer 200 billion- this is not likely.

A billion inhabited systems in the galaxy is plausible- but again if the inhabited systems under the control of the Imperium is a mere million, we run into population issues.

A possibly easier approach would be to retcon the number of astropaths in the Imperium to about a million, rather than a billion plus.

A possibly easier approach would be to retcon the number of astropaths in the Imperium to about a million, rather than a billion plus.

A million astropaths would mean only having one-per-planet at the one million planets figure. That's obviously not enough.

if there was only that few astropaths in the empire then you wouldnt be able to feed 1k a day to fuel the emperor [and remember they dont get eaten after birth , they live grow , some die , some get executed , some get harvested , then they fly to terra which isnt instant and then they get eaten . you need a big supply of those for the throne to work] and the GK wouldnt be able to recruit . if the number of astropaht level psykers was so low , the GK would be unable to find enough aspirants to be at full strengh and one must remember that their tests are the deadliest of all marine chapters.

The throne is powered by psykers in general, not specifically by astropaths. And Grey Knights wouldn't recruit an astropath. Astropaths are a very specific kind of psyker, and their training is completed with the sould binding ritual, making them incredibly valuable, and at the same time useless for any other purpose.

A million astropaths would mean only having one-per-planet at the one million planets figure. That's obviously not enough.

Based on Rogue Trader, yes- but in the present era there are FFG sources that state that many imperial worlds have no Astropath at all, relying entirely on Chartist ships for info about what's going on in the Imperium. And that the Chartist ships themselves don't have Astropaths or Navigators, but operate entirely by fixed routes of short jumps, with the total circuit lasting generations.

It's still a rather low figure consisting most of the Imperium's capital ships will have their own Astropath, though. As well as there being some way stations with Astropaths, maintaining the links to more distant sectors.

I'd prefer them to bump up the size of the Imperium rather than retcon the number of Astropaths downward though.

And that the Chartist ships themselves don't have Astropaths or Navigators, but operate entirely by fixed routes of short jumps, with the total circuit lasting generations.

Isn't that really dangerous?

And that the Chartist ships themselves don't have Astropaths or Navigators, but operate entirely by fixed routes of short jumps, with the total circuit lasting generations.

Isn't that really dangerous?

Which is why they make lots and lots of money ;)

Besides the three starting HH books, have there ever been any black legion centered books? I can't remember....
There's a little BL goodness to be had here:

Novel: Execution Hour, by Gordon Rennie.

Novel: Shadow Point, by Gordon Rennie.

Novel: Heroes of the Space Marines, Short-story: Honour Among Fiends, by Dylan Owen. A Black Legion champion seeks a way to escape his debt to the Gods of Chaos.

Thank you brother Nihm but are any of them directly centered on the Black Legion (like the dark disciple series or the Night Lord ones)? I haven't read them so I wouldn't know, but I think that's the main problem.

Honour Among Fiends is enirely about the Legion. Execution Hour is about Abaddon and the Planet Killer. I don't really remember much else.

Never read Shadow Point.

Really we have a lack of Black Legion stories.

And to answer the OP, Abaddon is the most powerful Chaos Lord since Horus. He brought the Black Legion back from the brink of extinction. The Gods don't suffer failures.

I really think the gods are above caring about failure. People are like batteries to them. In failure you cease to provide them with power, so you get swapped for nifty new batteries.

I'm surprised Slaanesh doesn't have a thing against blue pills.

Serious note. Or you could be like Abaddon where your fluff is synomous with your tabletop rules and you have Eternal Warrior courtesy of the Mark of Chaos Ascendant, you will be conditioned. In battery terms, that is when the battery starts to have no life, so kill i beyond dead, charge to full strength and repeat about five times. In Abaddon's case, thirteen. Which means the magic number is coming up boys.

Besides the three starting HH books, have there ever been any black legion centered books? I can't remember....

Not yet.

Will it happen after Betrayer or is there something in between?

Not yet.

Well I think this is why most people see him as a failure then. There haven't been too many novels about him and those that do, well GW's gotta keep the game going somehow....

Novels about the Black Legion run the risk of ruining the image of the legion. If someone decided Abaddon gets his power from some plot device or something newly introduced never before mentioned in a codex would have riots in the streets.

Not yet.

Will it happen after Betrayer or is there something in between?

After Betrayer, I'm going to take a month or two off.

Then I'll probably start The Talon of Horus.

Archived