Am I Missing Something?

When I opened my Assault Marines there were no meltaguns and no infernus pistols, and being new to 40k its really confusing when everyone talks about assault marines with meltaguns. Am I missing something big here? Do I need to get the weapons from a different set? I know they're codex options, but they didn't come in the kit. Would someone please explain?

Aye, you can buy a set of meltaguns from the gamesworkshop site. I believe there are 5 meltaguns in one set.

As for the infernus pistols, my guess is there are some in the Death Company set and in the sanguinary guard. Maybe you could look at some bits trading sites.

Best of luck finding those parts,

The Devourer

It seems like a cynical attempt on GW's part to make more money. Don't include all options in a box -- force people to buy more models. People will end up buying command squad box sets just to get the bitz. Although, in fairness, there do seem to be a good amount of cool/useful bitz in the command squad box sets. Certainly this has been true of the Imperial Guard command squad boxes which my experience is with.

Of course, I think it actually helps out the small guys like http://bitspudlo.com/t/category/216-bitsbo...and-accessories (a great place for cheap meltaguns, by the way) who I bet are making many more sales nowadays thanks to GW's policy.

Long-barreled Infernus pistols can be made from meltaguns. Just cut off the hose and cut out the middle section of the frame and you got it. I imagine it works best with the plastic meltaguns. I have not tried it with the metal ones.

When I opened my Assault Marines there were no meltaguns and no infernus pistols, and being new to 40k its really confusing when everyone talks about assault marines with meltaguns. Am I missing something big here? Do I need to get the weapons from a different set? I know they're codex options, but they didn't come in the kit. Would someone please explain?

The Death Company box has two infernus pistols in it. They included an extra one in the box because they knew that BA players would need them elsewhere because at the time the Assault Marines box didn't have them.

You have to remember that only Blood Angels get infernus pistols and the box set for Assault Marines is for all Space Marine players. I'm surprised you weren't advised just to make Assault Marines using the Death Company box. I just did that for my Vanguard Veterans because that way I could have Jumpers that look like Blood Angels. :(

As for the Meltaguns I would just get them separately in the packs of five suggested or off a bits site like mentioned.

Re: reasonable price ... I was just thinking about this on my way home from work today. On a $ per hour of entertainment basis, GW's prices are actually pretty good. When I consider the hundreds upon hundreds of hours of entertainment that I've had and compare it to other hobbies, Warhammer 40K comes out surprisingly reasonable. Not cheap, but not bad.

You will most likely always need to buy more box sets for special weapons of every kind. Sanguinary guard only come with one wrist mounted infernus pistol and one wrist mounted plasma pistol. Try building an entire unit that uses wrist mounted plasma pistols. That's five seperate boxes of Sanguinary guard. (I used 4 and convereted one from a normal plasma pistol)

Devestators only have 1 rocket launcher in the box and most people agree that a squad with 4 of them is the best set up for devs.

When you plan to build a squad you need to know that you may not get all the weapons you need in one box.

I think the best thing that the assault squad box set gets is two full sets of torsos (so that's five spare torsos when one box set is used) meaning with the amount of weapons, heads and backpacks several box sets of different units generates any spare legs is a guranteed extra model.

So add in two command squad boxes and that's 2 meltaguns for the assault squad, ten models from the command squad boxes and 2 extra models due to the extra legs in the command squad boxes and the torsos from the assault squad box.

It's funny you should mention the spare torsos, yesterday and today I've been making and painting extra torsos, some with heads and weapons, but they have no legs. Need more shoulder pads (GW), I'm gonna give one a meltagun (GW) and I'll get some spare legs (eBay). Extra models for little money. :tu:

I understand the kits not coming with every available option.

...HOWEVER...

The Dreadnought plasitc kit doesn't even come with it's base options. i.e. The Multi-melta.

Now that I call shenanigans on!

Again, this is due to the kit being older than the codex. The assault cannon was the base option on the dread for years.

I understand the kits not coming with every available option.

...HOWEVER...

The Dreadnought plasitc kit doesn't even come with it's base options. i.e. The Multi-melta.

Now that I call shenanigans on!

Yeah, except the one that comes in the Assault on Black Reach start up box set and is made in such a way so that no other dreadnought weapons can be used on it without fiddling with it (ie: with greenstuff at $15 a packet in Australia) and the multi-melta can't be used on any other dreadnought becuase it's slightly too small.

And then there's things that have no model like all but two of the Razorback turrets. Who takes twin-linked heavy bolters anyway? (ok, I know a few do and Bloods get a 35 point discount with assault marines which is basically a free upgrade) It took me 2 speeder assault cannons to make a twinlinked assault cannon Razorback turret. I was just lucky I wanted some speeders. But my twinlinked plasma gun/lascannon turret I paid $15 for a packet of 5 plasma guns and butchered two of them to make the turret.

I guess this allows other small businesses to fill the void with thier bits like the Chapterhouse magnetised razorback turret which comes with all options and the ability to magnetise them.

The Black reach dreadnought can easily be fixed to hold any arm.

My black reach dread currently has a Forgeworld plasma Cannon arm meant for a Mark IV dread. All you need to do is get a bottle of windex or something similar that has a long clear tubing. Take your cutters and snip off a piece.

Then take this piece and fit it over the arm nub on the body of the dreadnought. Take the arm you want and fit it in place. Now the arm nub is thicker and grips the arm. Usign some glue the tubing is now permanently affixed in the plasma cannon arm's hole. I can swap the plasma for the original multi-melta at any point and this fix is undetectable, took 10 minutes, and was free.

Learned this trick it by reading posts on this site.

If only there was a cheaper way of getting assault cannon razorbacks, my current planned list has five of them in it...

How good do you want them to look? I just did an experiment where I shaved down the sides of the HB a tiny bit and glued some short pieces of tubing around, kinda like a six shooter pistol effect. Doesn't look that great but is unmistakably twin linked assault cannons. By the time I've got them painted they should do just fine.

Wow. Thanks for that tutorial, now I can make some awesome AC Razorbacks. Just out of interest, what were those rods? If I find out where I can get some, I'll make one and post a picture of it when its finished. Thanks a bunch, guys! Both of those assault cannons (yours too, seayeo) look/sound awesome. Thanks again!

Wow. Thanks for that tutorial, now I can make some awesome AC Razorbacks. Just out of interest, what were those rods?
I don't know. As I wrote earlier, the tutorial is not mine. Best ask Jitsu about them. He should know, he wrote the tutorial after all.

Wow. Thanks for that tutorial, now I can make some awesome AC Razorbacks. Just out of interest, what were those rods? If I find out where I can get some, I'll make one and post a picture of it when its finished. Thanks a bunch, guys! Both of those assault cannons (yours too, seayeo) look/sound awesome. Thanks again!

The local model train store has a variety of different sized strips and sheets of styrene in all kinds of shapes and patterns. The brand they carry is "Evergreen scale models."

Archived