Thousand sons in 6th

The Berserkers have one, so why not us?

Personally, my main hope is that aspiring sorcerers become worth their points or non compulsory, worth their pts would include two wounds and some kind of bonus to getting powers up. I'd like rubrics to be able to have special and heavy weapons rather then rely on the sorcerers for everything apart from bolter fire and thus a wold with a stick being able to shut down everything. I'd also like some cheap yet effective HQ's if possible. So what are your thoughts?

Hmm...

- Rubric Terminators

- Chosen Terminator Sorcerers

- Chosen Sorcerers

- Allowing summoning Tzeentch related daemons, not generics

- Sorcerers choosing psychic powers on par with Space Marine Librarians - Sorcerer Lords allowed 2 powers, other Sorcerers one power

- Coruscating Flame

- Deathscreamer as an option for Sorcerer Lords

- Thousand Sons Assault troops

- Thousand Sons Havocs

- Cataphract robots (Battle of the Fang)

- Basically what I've read in the 4th Edition Codex please.

Jase

In general for the new codex I'd like more legion specific rules, as in 3.5, along with specific daemons.

For 1KS, I'd like to see the return of full units of sorcerers as chosen, along with the option for Rubrics to take a wider variety of weapons, including heavy weapons squads. Rubric terminators would be good too. In general I think cultists as an option would be great. I'd like them to be a non-scoring troops unit which doesn't take up a spot on the FOC, and be dirt cheap with little in the way of stats or wargear. It'd fit with most of the chaos legionsand make us more distinct from loyalists on the table.

I've done this a few times but here goes.

Change Infernal bolts to use the old reduction of armor saves.... so instead of AP3, they would be AV-2... a 4+ becomes 6+, a 3+ becomes 5+... a 2+ becomes 4+... this is good and bad, but overall gives more consistency vs a wider variety of armies.

Inv. Save becomes a warping of reality causing existing cover to become more disruptive, no cover = 5+ cover save, 6+ becomes 4+, and any cover better then 5+ becomes 3+.... this would give Thousand Sons a reason to enter cover and use more tactics.

Reduce Thousand Sons Init to 1 (and reduce costs appropriately, right now TS are point costed as if they always have init 4)

Reduce the cost of Fearlessness (all units with fearlessness seem to be more expensive then they ought to be when compared to they shall know no fear)

No reason a Thousand Son Marine should cost more points then same as a Grey Knight Stirke Squad Marine....

Teach the Aspiring champion that Tzeentch is the master of sorcery, make his psyhic powers involve sorcery so anything that is anti-psycher doesn't function against his powers. Also, give him the ability to take any one non-character specific temporary power from any codex at the appropriate point cost. IE, Guide, Doom, Hammerhand, Fortune.... for example.

Ah but Thousand Sons are just as fast/formidable as marines in CC.

See: Battle of the Fang, Ragnar novels, Atlas Infernal

I don't trust GW to correctly discount the point cost associated with the Slow and Purposeful rule... heck i don't trust GW much at all that is why all my figs are magnetized.

Speaking of which, we'd lose the invul save in hand to hand combat, which could be bad idea, especially bad with no invul save.

None of this rubbish modifier malarky.

GW did away with that and it will not come back.

How about: Inferno bolts: Successful armour saves must be rerolled. Hurts everyone equally.

2W eternal warriors sound good to me.

Rubric termies would be awesome.

sorceror termies would be hard to work without generic 'whole unit' powers like hammerhand.

A problem isin beefing up the psy powers to the awesome destructiveness supposed of Tzeentch sorcerors.

I personally would like a relatively cheap sorceror witha a range of powers that act as a unit buff with no psychic test required. Say counts as meltabomb, or eternal warrior why sorceror alive.

I would like a move to resilient troops to small arms but vunerable to heavier weapons.

Rubric options for other troops would be good Terminators being the obvious choice.

While I'm thinking about it, I'd like some insight into what non-1K Sons Tzeentch bands look like. Are they pretty much CSM with random mutations like in RT models? Do they embrace or reject other cults like Raptors and Obliterators? If these bands love possession or mutations, will they be worth taking in the new codex/rules? Rules-wise a bunch of poor or mediocre units with a bonus inv save only seems like an expensive, boring army.

People have a lot of ideas on how to represent rubrics. I wonder if an additional wound would suffice. The other gods get a bonus to a stat. Seems like an extra wound with a cheaper cost would allow moderate improved resilience against small arms, but still make them fear instakill weapons like other armies. I'd be okay with a +1 armor save as well. If the competitive units of a Tzeentch or 1K Sons are limited, then an expensive mark makes them even less desirable.

The most important thing I want is a codex that gives me several competitive builds and allows me to model and paint an army that looks cohesive on the table. If I wanted an army where every unit was painted different, I'd go back to Biel-Tan! ;)

While I'm thinking about it, I'd like some insight into what non-1K Sons Tzeentch bands look like. Are they pretty much CSM with random mutations like in RT models? Do they embrace or reject other cults like Raptors and Obliterators? If these bands love possession or mutations, will they be worth taking in the new codex/rules?.
I think that depends. How many Tzeentch, non 1k-sons warbands are out there? And why would they all be alike? I think you can go as wild as your imagination here, and build your own idea.

Rules-wise a bunch of poor or mediocre units with a bonus inv save only seems like an expensive, boring army
many agree with you, I think, which is why they want rubric terminators, squads of sorcerors running around, and cultists or nicer daemons to play around with.

People have a lot of ideas on how to represent rubrics. I wonder if an additional wound would suffice. The other gods get a bonus to a stat. Seems like an extra wound with a cheaper cost would allow moderate improved resilience against small arms, but still make them fear instakill weapons like other armies. I'd be okay with a +1 armor save as well. If the competitive units of a Tzeentch or 1K Sons are limited, then an expensive mark makes them even less desirable.
an additional wound is what they had previous to this codex, and I think that's why many people advocate that. It did give them a lot of extra staying power against small-arms fire, and it didn't make cover unusable like our invulnerable save now does.

Seems to me that any Tzeentch warband will be spawn in short order. That doesn't make a fun army either which is why I think GW brought in the Ahriman story back in the day. Now, none of the 1K Sons change.

thanks for the reply

TRW, only the weak Tzeentch warbands will be Spawned. The strong ones will master their mutations and retain their intellect (like the Chosen from the Night Lord books), gaining physical benefits and retaining their awesome powers.

I'm going to be a little bit controversial here and go against the general concensus. Personally, I think aspiring sorcerers are currently costed reasonably ok. Basically in his points cost is the 4+ invulnerable save, the AP3 bolters, the relentless rule, the force weapon and a psychic power. Now I would say that if we cost each of those attributes at 10 points that's not too shabby.

For the new codex I really would hate to lose the pretty awesome stuff that we currently have. I really just want to see way more variety in the whole psychic aspect and I'd like to see us get some form of negatory ability like psychic hoods.

Oh and Ahriman needs to get way more powers and tricks for his points cost. I don't mind if he's costed at 250 but he needs to be so much deadly than what he is at the moment.

With the advent of all the juicy characters since 2007 or so, Ahriman can only get better.

That's what I reckon too. I mean if Mephiston and Njal are as good as they are then Ahriman is going to be utterly godlike! I'm thinking re-rollable invulnerables, every psychic power under the sun, ambient psychic effects, the ability to leave with the quickness when things get dangerous etc etc...

Honestly, I think when this Chaos codex comes out I'm going to be as excited as a kid at Xmas again :D

Removal of Ap3 bolters

Why that?

The more I think about it the more sense changing infernal bolts somehow makes alot of sense. Right now Thousand Sons are really good vs 3+ or 4+ really bad vs anything else including cover.... this makes it too lopsided and inconsistent, but a nice reroll for any successful saves vs infernal bolt wounds makes it much more uniform.

Telanicus, let's start with this:

Bolters in the fluff are nasty. If a space marine can aim above another space marine behind cover and blast a wall behind him in order to knock the enemy forward and out of cover due to one single blast, you know Bolts are powerful weapons. Since GW will not make them as powerful as they are in the fluff, due to balance reasons, it's safe to say that Thousand Sons still have access to potent Boltguns just like the loyalist (and that they are just as powerful).

So it's also safe to say that they need no buff.

Thousand Sons Rubrics need rules that represent how they function, and not just some silly special rule to sell Thousand Sons boxed sets back in 4th edition (before blanket cover turned to 4+).

AP3 has nothing to do with Thousand Sons. Battle of the Fang is a great example of this. It's all about the Sorcerers, and Rubricae are just ablative wounds. Their rules should represent this, and no more.

Boring? Maybe.. but if you like Thousand Sons in the first place, you won't give a crap about the expendable shield walls of power armor!

I know that was a lot of text directed at you, but it's just a very long answer. :D

Each codex has had a different writer and therefore new Rubric rules. I am sure we will get something different this time. It is hard to represent the Rubric without being too similar to Plague Marines, and I feel for the codex writer because he has a lot of pressure to make a good distinction. Maybe if that pressure is too much, we will keep Ap3 bolters.

Archived