The Aurelian

Doghouse

This is a very simple conversion, absolutely dead easy to make but after playing around with the Castellan Crowe models for my Mantis Warriors I realised that it had to be done. In truth it's one of those guilty pleasures of the hobby as normally I avoid making character models based on those established in the game settings because everyone has their own vision of how they should look but I'm sure that A D-B won't mind me having a bash at making him.

After getting hold of some of the new reds I decided to have a bit of a play around to see what they were like and have decided that I am a big fan of the Khornate and Mephiston reds. Having recently got some of the chapter master models for the MWs it struck me that this would make a really nice Lorgar model with very little effort.

What struck me with the colours is that I could achieve a solid base coat with very little effort so after having a quick root around in my bits box I managed to scavenge enough marines to put together a sizable force if needed.

I know there are tons of fan based rules and theories on just how powerful a Primarch should truly be but I'm just going to keep it simple and use the Daemon Prince rules for him, nothing flash or fancy and more importantly game legal. If need be I may add a display base to make him a little bigger but will play it by ear.

So here is the beginnings of the model, like I say nothing too fancy or flash or him towering over his men just yet and simple enough to be effective. The model is just about the right size for my own vision of the size of the Primarchs (maybe a little on the smaller side though) so should work with any luck.

I'm not overly certain on how the guy should look in the flesh but am going to go for a more humble and simplistic approach to his appearance, he won't be as gaudy or overt as many of his brothers as I like the idea of a monkish spartan approach to the feel of him. It will be post Calth so the armour will be red.

Pre-GSing

http://i42.tinypic.com/2cnyy3b.jpg

Size Comparison

http://i41.tinypic.com/kqolw.jpg

Looks like a promising start. Everytime I see your models I remind myself I gotta get me some of those Crowe models. I do agree with you that he might be on the small side, but look forward to how you put him together.

Cheers guys. :P

Thanks for the link Ferrus, that helps a lot. ;)

Bit of an update. Been working mostly on Mantis Warriors today but have got a bit more done on Lorgar with a rough fitting of the arms for the Cruxius and added a little height to him giving him the illusion of being bigger than he really is so that the head of a marine comes up to roughly around the chest area on him. The idea in terms of size that I'm going for is that marines are to humans as Primarchs are to marines in terms of height.

http://i44.tinypic.com/33bpvso.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/2ap8cz.jpg

Olisredan: Too right mate, really am loving the model now. :D

Dorns padawan: Thanks mate. :)

Gawain Veteris: After thirty years of collecting my bits boxes are truly a terrifying sight, grown men have wandered in looking for parts and have never been seen again. Rumour has it that is where the Techno-archaeologist Arkhan Land discovered the lost STC for the Land Raider. ;)

ThorV2: Thanks mate. :)

Kind of a bit of an update now, mainly because I want to address the scale thing and try and make my logic a little clearer. The picture below shows how I see the size differences of the humans, marines and Primarchs. The guy on the left is a 25mm LoTR Corsair which I think are the perfect size to demonstrate the difference between humans and marines. His head comes just up to the chin of the Marine which to me seems to be around the right height between the two in my opinion, then you have roughly the same distance again between the marine and the Primarch. So to the marine the Primarch is pretty tall, but to the human he is a monstrous giant.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2uztsol.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/fareac.jpg

After thirty years of collecting my bits boxes are truly a terrifying sight, grown men have wandered in looking for parts and have never been seen again. Rumour has it that is where the Techno-archaeologist Arkhan Land discovered the lost STC for the Land Raider.

Haha My bits box is something similar but it's only a ten year thing for me :D No STCs here haha

I like your scale for the Primarchs. I've seen some the size of dreadnoughts and they just look ridiculous in my opinion. I think you've got it just right.

The new reds look crisp. I look forward to further progress.

GV

The height comparison looks about right with the human coming up to about the mid-chest of Lorgar. A scenic base would help add a bit more height and make him stand out more form the rank and file.

I don't think my bitz box it quite as extensive as yours - it only goes back about 18 years but has been upgraded to bitz cupboard :D

Thanks guys. :P

Gawain Veteris: I think that's the nature of the beast with this hobby it turns us into compulsive horders! :D

Primarchs are a tricky one in terms of size I think because they are such huge characters in terms of the mythos which I think is why people build them so big. The way I personally look at them is kinda like the real life historical heroes of old, as the stories progress over time they become bigger and more powerful where as if you to meet them in person you'd probably be impressed but they might not live up to your expectations. It's kind of like meeting someone famous and thinking they look bigger on the tv. :)

I must admit the new reds are quite nice, my camera seems to have brightened this guy a bit but in person it's kind of a mix of the old terracotta and scab red. Definitely going to play around with them a lot more and see what I can get from them. Certainly makes reds a lot easier to do with little work which is a real bonus, I'd love to do Blood Angels with these paints because it would be pretty easy now.

augustmanifesto: Thanks mate. :)

Lestat: I see what you mean mate, I was thinking about mounting him on the GW Anniversary model base surrounded by dead Ultramarines but not sure. I've post up some shots of him on it and see what people think. Might sit better as I want to use the Daemon Prince rules for him.

Pre heresy Word Bearers have always been my favorite legion, and I just finished reading Aurelian, so this is definitely something ill watch with interest. What are your plans for Illuminarim (his crozius)?

I haven't read the book either yet, I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the tip mate. :P

Of course, you could expand it to a diorama to include both Lorgar and Guilliman in a face-off.

Now I'm giving myself ideas and I really need to finish my CF diorama first :lol:

ToyShip: I'm not too sure yet, I think I'm going to have to do a bit more research on it before I can settle on a design.

Lestat: Sounds like a great idea but way beyond what I have planned. :confused:

Got a bit more done today. I've done some GS work and have chopped up the anniversary model base before covering the base in sand so that it'll fit in better with the rest of the Word Bearers. The base is a bit of a compromise that does seem to work quite well, although I'm happy with the size of the model itself the taller base puts him more in line with representing a Daemon Prince.

http://i43.tinypic.com/9is6rn.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/2qxrcd5.jpg

I think that base is a nice addition. It adds a bit more height without compromising your vision of how tall the primarchs are. Personally, I like primarchs huge and monstrous, but your conversion is convincing me that just a little added height goes a long way.

Archived