The Aurelian

Doghouse

Heh, I love it when people make Primarchs, and this model is certainly living up to my high expectations! The use of Crowe is inspired, he certainly looks ready to go Falcon Punch some Avatars! Seriously though, the conversion is ace, and I can't wait to see where this goes next.

Cheers guys! :)

I'm glad that the height is working out and am itching to get some paint slapped on him now.

Olisredan: I'm not sure yet. Ultramarines does seem to be the obvious choice but you never know I could do it as any of the loyalist Legions.

RazakelXIII: I have seven of them so far but need another four for the first squad of the Mantis Warriors. The thing that I'm waiting to be released at the moment is the Spartan though, that'll either be taking it's place with these guys which would be cool or as a ride for the MWs.

I'm currently base coating the first twenty Mk VI marines to back him up along with a Contemptor dreadnought. My current quest to find a suitable bits for the Illuminarim, at the moment I'm looking at the larger of the Dark Angels incense burner bits at the moment but may have to sculpt something from scratch.

I'll get some more shots up asap. ;)

I've managed to get a little more done on Lorgar now and am in the process of sculpting the Illuminarim. I've had a quick flick through the First Heretic and discovered that the end is a globe covered in ornate runes with spikes as long as a man's arm. At the moment it is very bare bones as I define the general shape before moving onto the detail.

Another problem I have is the colour of his armour, I'm not sure if he should be painted gold as described in the book or whether his armour should be red. I've got the skin sorted out though hopefully as although his face is covered with golden tattoo script it describes it as appearing as though he has gold skin through un-visored eyes. This is why I don't like doing models like this. :huh:

I've also got a progress shot of the Dreadnought but it's pretty much just base coat at the moment but I have realised that I haven't chosen a chapter for these guys yet, so will have to either have another look through the book for ideas or just make one up myself.

http://i40.tinypic.com/oibrp.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/10h5d87.jpg

The illuminarium does sort of look like a giant chupa chups lolly at the moment - definately needs some spiky bits on there :D Have you tried the Chaos vehicle sprues - the railings have some useful spikes on them.

The dread is a nice solid red colour. Is it the new paints? I'm going to have to get some and give them a go - might just end up buying the 40k paint set as theres some Dark Angels in there ;)

Looking sweet dude.

I thought Lorgar had grey armour? I don't have the book on hand, but i remember a line about how his drab grey armour contrasted with his flashy golden stormbird when he arrives for his chastisement by the Emperor, near the start of First Heretic.

Lestat: I'm going to be adding more detail coming off the band to make it look ornate. I doubt I can do the original concept justice but will give it a bash. I'm looking at sculpting the spikes from scratch at the moment though but will look into the chaos spikes.

Yeah the red is the new Khornate Red base coat which is really nice for Word Bearers.

MagicMan: Thanks mate. :D

I thought that as well about his armour but when I checked to be sure it says that "His armour may have been gold but it was no more ornate than the Mk III worn by his captains."

But this a pre-heresy description so I'm not sure if he adopts the crimson colour after Calth or not.

...*warning to those who haven't red Aurelian yet, look away now*...

'Aurelian' (which is set days after the Drop site Massacre) has Lorgar's armour coloured 'Traitor's red' to match the new changes in the Legion (the crimson and silver of the Gal Vorbak)

Loving the idea...wish I'd thought of Crowe for my Lorgar *sigh*

Cheers guys! ;)

Red it is then guys. :)

Darth Kados: Thanks for confirming that for me mate, had my suspicions but couldn't find anything to nail it down.

Don the Oiler: As Lorgar was technically the first to throw his toys out of the pram maybe I should leave it as a giant rattle... :(

Just done a bit of hunting around after Dark Apostle Thirst mentioned the Burning Hand Chapter and have located the following on one of the many wiki style sites floating around the web that is very useful.

The Burning Hand Chapter - Commanded by Chapter Master Deinos. In keeping with the name of his Chapter, Deinos's gauntlets were permanently wreathed in flames from gas jets built into his vambraces. Nothing is known of this Chapter's particular function or specialty.

Chapter of the Coiled Lash - Nothing is known of this Chapter's particular function or specialty.

Chapter of the Crescent Moon - Nothing is known of this Chapter's particular function or specialty.

Chapter of the Opening Eye - Commanded by Chapter Master Faerskarel, nothing is known about this Chapter in Imperial records.

Chapter of the Osseous Throne - Nothing is known of this Chapter's particular function or specialty.

Chapter of the Void - Led by Chapter Master Tenaebron, the Chapter of the Void was probably the least respected amongst the Chapters of the Word Bearers Legion for it was by far the smallest, with less than 700 Astartes. There was little glory in its history, since it was used as a reserve force that enacted its missions behind the front line. This dishonourable purpose fell to the Void and Tenaebron. The Void's Master did not complain, for he knew that his Chapter's true role was to create and test new weapons and tactics for the rest of the Legion. Lorgar ordered Tenebron to also concern himself with the exploitation of the Word Bearers' psychic resources.

The Crimson Mask Chapter - Commanded by Chapter Master Rukis, the Battle-Brothers of this Chapter were known to have the faceplate of their helmets wrought to resemble fearsome red-skinned snarling daemons.

The Ebony Serpent Chapter - Commanded by Chapter Master-Skolinthos. Nothing is known of this Chapter's particular function or specialty.

The Quillborn - The Quillborn were so named because their traditions emphasised their birth, created in the laboratories and Apothecarions of Colchis. They believed themselves to be written into existence, born as syllables of the Word. A dedicated naval formation, the Quillborn were true marines, fighting ship-to-ship, completely at home battling through the cramped structure of a starship. The Quillborn's Chapter badge was a quill with a drop of blood at its base.

The Serrated Sun Chapter - Nothing is known of this Chapter's particular function or specialty, though it was the Chapter which accompanied Lorgar during his Pilgrimage and was ultimately lost to the predations of the first Imperial expedition to enter the Eye of Terror.

So which ones (other than the serrated suns) do you think I should do?

Lorgar is coming along nicely.

As for a chapter, I'd vote for the The Crimson Mask Chapter. I think you have the skills to pull it off, and it kind of reminds me of the samurai armour with their snarling daemon masks. Just seems like a cool idea to me.

Chapter of the Void is my personal favourite.

Awesome model by the way. I was a bit sceptical when I saw someone was making a Primarch (and not just any Primarch, but Lorgar) until I realised it was you. Very good use of bits and good idea with the base.

Cheers guys! :)

Huberticus: Yeah you could say that mate! :)

It is a really nice sculpt and the size opens up lots of opportunities.

Hmm, never thought choosing a chapter would be quite so difficult. ;)

Brother Syth/Marshal Sampson of Terra: I do like the idea of both the burning hands and the crimson masks. I think the crimson masks might be a bit on the labour intensive side though as I'd need to convert each of the visors, I could get around this though by painting daemon faces on the Mk VI visors which might look cool then do a sculpted daemon mask on a character model.

Dark Apostle Thirst/Lestat: The burning hands master sounds really cool as well after reading his description and I could quite easily make a chapter icon with a fist surrounded by flames.

Coryphaus 101: The Chapter of the Void sounds good because I'm a fan of the underdogs in 40k and the use of psykers sounds like there could be some really interesting conversion potential there.

Marshal Sampson of Terra : The Quillborn would be an excellent excuse to paint up some Mk III boarding action marines and maybe get some of the shields to go with them.

I could always do a mix of chapters I guess. :D

Picked up a spray gun today so will be spraying the rest of the Mk VI guys to go with the test model. Once I've got the basic colours in place I'll have a look at which chapter works the best. :)

More pictures later today with any luck.

Hey Doghouse, I have been meaning to comment these last few days. Excellent progress matey, the mace is certainly coming along nicely!!! I like the sound of the Chapter of the Crescent Moon purely because 1) it sounds cool & 2) Chapters with zilch history means lots of room for creating fluff for them & I am a big fan of your background fluff for your mini's.

sorry but i dont see this as a primark. a primark is meant to be sizewise to a spacemarine what a spacemarine is to a human

putting him on a higher base is just putting him on a higher base :)

in truth he looks more like a captain ,i know you have a lot of fans here who tell you everything you do is awesome but that is not criticism.

you are obviously used to using greenstuff so i imagine bulking him out or making a new sculpt would not be out of your grasp,after all you have a thread about truescaling and those guys are more of a primark size idea and yet are basic troops.

nice smooth greenstuff though

Archived