The Aurelian

Doghouse

sorry but i dont see this as a primark. a primark is meant to be sizewise to a spacemarine what a spacemarine is to a human

The primarchs vary in size, with Alpharius (and Omegon) being the smallest (only slightly larger than a marine) and Magnus being reputedly the largest who could easily match the size comparison presented, if not exceed it. The other primarchs would be closer in size to each other than these two though, so you're not wrong to assert that this depiction is undersized. It is, however, the execution of the modelling that we extol Doghouse for - I think a little scaling faux pas can be forgiven, imho. That said, I'm not going to hold some honest dissent against you. ^_^

Edit - Typo

sorry but i dont see this as a primark. a primark is meant to be sizewise to a spacemarine what a spacemarine is to a human

putting him on a higher base is just putting him on a higher base ^_^

in truth he looks more like a captain ,i know you have a lot of fans here who tell you everything you do is awesome but that is not criticism.

you are obviously used to using greenstuff so i imagine bulking him out or making a new sculpt would not be out of your grasp,after all you have a thread about truescaling and those guys are more of a primark size idea and yet are basic troops.

nice smooth greenstuff though

But not all Primarchs were/are the size of giants. In fact, Alpharius and Omegon are often mistaken for SM Captains and Fulgrim is a slightly built figure who has neither the height nor bulk of some of his brothers. Also, as there are no "official" Primarch models, you can make them to whatever size you wish. I will admit that there are some Primarchs who should be huge - Russ, Magnus, Horus - but there should still be some diversity.

Doghouse: You didn't buy the GW spraygun did you? Thats just a pain the posterior to use as it clogs up and sputters so easily and the adjustment of the spray is non-existant.

Dorns padawan: Thanks mate. I've been looking at them as well, I think the simple marking of the crescent moon would look pretty effective.

gunbabe: You've got absolutely nothing to be sorry about mate, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I would be worried if no-one ever questioned the logic behind my stuff because some of it can be a little on the abstract side. ;)

It's much better to raise a point like you have if you do have a question about what I or anyone else is doing and it also provokes conversation about the topic which is always good on a forum. :)

Primarchs are a bit tricky to be honest because the actual size is going to be down to whoever reading about them, because there has only ever been one Primarch model made there isn't really that much to go by from a visual perspective. The HH artwork is very much artistic interpretation on the part of the artist so whilst there will be themes of how they see the Primarchs no-one is going to be exactly the same as it should be with such fictional historical characters.

It's kind of like one person might paint a picture of someone like Hercules as a normal man where as another might paint him as a giant like the hulk. And that's the way it should be to be honest, the moment they lay down in stone exactly what a primarch should be then we won't see as many fantastic interpretations of the heroes of old.

Same thing could probably be said of the HH writers as well, I expect what someone like Dan Abnett is thinking is going to vary in some small way to how Aaron Dembski-Brown or Graham McNeil might see them.

This model is more about the rule of cool without worrying too much about getting the size spot on, as it stands the head of a marine comes up somewhere about Lorgar's chin which isn't really that far off. The base is more about giving a false perspective so that he isn't on an absolute level with the marines rather than just to make him look bigger, on the tabletop it makes him stand out a little more from the other models and will help me pass him off a little better with the Daemon Prince rules. Some people like their Primarchs to be huge monstrous heroes but I prefer mine to be a bit more human like to show that although they were legends they weren't without flaws.

And like you say, I can always use him as a lord as well which is something that I'd do if I used him in a post heresy game which is pretty likely.

Here is a better example of how I personally seem them in scale to a regular marine. My model is pretty much just a Castellan Crowe conversion at the end of the day, more of see what I can do with the model project but if I can get to use Lorgar in a game then it's worth having a bash.

I will be changing the lower legs to mk III armour so that might bulk him out a little more with any luck.

http://i39.tinypic.com/15ytesk.jpg

Lestat: As I am now finding out, yes I unfortunately did. ;)

Got a few bursts out of it and now it seems to have died mid spray. I've looked at the video tutorial on youtube but the trouble shooting guide isn't helping much. I will stick at it though.

Fenris Kid: Excellent stuff mate! Really glad to hear that you're putting the tutorial to good use. ^_^

Lestat: As I am now finding out, yes I unfortunately did. :(

Got a few bursts out of it and now it seems to have died mid spray. I've looked at the video tutorial on youtube but the trouble shooting guide isn't helping much. I will stick at it though.

I just wish someone had told me before I bought one as I found out the hard way too :tu:

Mine might get bulked out and converted into a hand-flamer in the future for Gamesday or something.

I'm starting to have some luck with it now.

Seems to be the trick is to keep cleaning out the paint nozzle with a needle. It is a bit high maintenance though and pooling seems to be an issue but it has enabled me to roughly basecoat them. I will be giving them a quick go over with a paint brush afterwards to even the finish out.

It would be a good starting point for a prop, if you do go to Gamesday this year make sure you come over and say hi to me as I'll be there as part of the running of the Ammobunker participation game table. :tu:

Trying to convince my brother to go as well and we might even do the whole cosplay thing too.

Which of course, might mean learning how to use a sewing machine..........................

Time for a quick update

Finally got the hang of the spray gun and now have eighteen of the first squad base coated. Going to clean them up next then begin the painting in proper. They look a little bright here but that's because my camera really doesn't like reds.

As they are all Mk VI I'm toying with the idea of doing them as the Chapter of the Void but not sold on that just yet. I also have a mix of around twenty Mk III and Mk II guys that I'm thinking of doing as the Quill Born. I'll see what happens.

Not got too much done on Lorgar though, started to add some rivets to Illuminarim, I want to add some ornate relief in the gaps between the bands then I'll add the spikes. I'm also sold on the idea of converting the legs to Mk III armour now so will get started on that asap.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2aafpqe.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/110zr7s.jpg

Nice project Doghouse, as always :D

Im not so sure about Lorgar though. You have done a nice job on him (well, the height is a matter of personel preference I guess) Im more disturbed by the present of a Primarch as a model.

Did you use a red from the new paint range for your marines ? Whats your opinion on the new paints ?

Cheers guys! :D

batu: I think that I'm going to fold on the height issue and make him a bit bigger to be honest. I've been playing around with adding Mk III legs and figure that I can add a little more height and bulk at the same time without throwing out the proportions of the model.

The paints that I have used so far have been pretty good. I can't say I've had any great revelations with them so far as I've only used a few but the base coverage is quite nice and a lot thinner than the foundations stuff.

Tellos05: Yeah it was a bit of a struggle but it did come through for me in the end. I had to be careful of paint pooling and to keep clearing out the nozzle but it did save me a heck of a lot of time.

I'm still struggling a bit with the chapter, I think my best bet might be to make a force made of units from several chapters. Ideally I'd love a second unit of twenty made up from Mk V armour but if I do go that route may have to do those as World Eaters because the look of the armour suits them down to the ground.

I'll get the first squad painted then decide on the chapter from there.

Taken on the height issue now and have stretched the legs slightly to give him a bit more height. Still need to work over the lower legs just yet to resemble Mk III armour.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2ir67tk.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/o9lo5t.jpg

Looking good as always. Looks like the spray gun worked well for you. I have one, but it worked once, and now doesn't do anything. Tried cleaning everywhere but it seems nothing works unfortunately. Pity as I mainly got it to help me with tanks.

Archived