WIP imperial fists (positive feedback and tips!)

primarche

hey guys im looking for some positive feedback and tips on what to do to improve my imperial fists they are not done but they are the first ones ive ever painted in that paint scheme and im looking on ways to improve or change as i am a novice painter and fairly new to warhammer im about a year into it!

anyway what i used for the models:

daemonic yellow primer

then i washed the model with gryphonne sepia

then i used fire red for the trim

and then i simply washed the model again with gryphonne sepia or until i got that battle hardend look i wanted!

its a very simple and easy process just let me know what ya think!

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w456/primarche/SANY0078.jpg

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w456/primarche/SANY0075.jpg

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w456/primarche/SANY0076.jpg

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w456/primarche/SANY0070.jpg

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w456/primarche/SANY0079.jpg

my imperial fists pictures!!

I would go a black wash on the chest eagles and boltguns (and of course drill the barrels) I would also spot color the eyes with "Len's" colors other then the wash color. I have always liked blue or green on IF. Take it for what its worth.

Well credit goes to you for having a go at painting some Fists! Must admit these look better than my first attempts. If the grittyness is what your after then you could always add some battle damage as well.

As for the yellow, it does look a little too dark, but if you like it then that is all that matters. I'd probably go over the yellow again with golden yellow and leave the crevasses dark.

For the red, I've had some success with red gore, and highlighting it blood red, then washing the whole lot with baal red wash. Comes out a nice red.

For the eye lenses, either red, blue or green work well, but that's up to you. I favour the green myself.

Hope that helps! Keep it up!

thanks guys that what i was looking for, i do agree that the yellow was a little to dark and i will proabably

go back over some places with golden yellow, and then baal wash the red paint, thanks for the tips and support

ill post pics when they are complete!

I actually use the same base and wash as you for my Imperial Fists, have to say yours are looking really good.

I tend to go:

• Daemonic Yellow
  • Gryphonne Sepia

After that I prefer to go a bit more 'bumblebee' with my yellow:

• Bad Moon Yellow
  • 50:50 Bad Moon/Skull White
  • Skull White

Take a look at this pic for examples of finished minis.

So what's next for the spray can?

WotF

Highlighting space marines is actually a lot easier than you might think, it just takes a steady hand and plenty of practice!

I start by base coating and then washing the mini, you've got that part down, so already you've built some shading into your mini.

Take a look at the Lysander painted by GW:

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1240824_99060101311_SMLysandermain_445x319.jpg

You can see all the edges of the armour plate have been given a line of a lighter paint tone, this helps to light the plates and gives great contrast to the shade you've already created.

To achieve this kind of effect, I'd recommend mixing together equal amounts of White, Yellow and Water. Once this is mixed, start with somewhere easy like the legs, you want to use the side of the brush rather than the point and just stroke the new colour along the edges of the armour plates.

You should see some fairly immediate progress, but take it slow and you'll soon get a feel for what looks good or not. Once you've painted all of the edges of the plates, put down the brush and admire your highlights!

WotF

first very nice first attempt at doing imperial fists, there not the easyest army to paint, and i remember about 8 years ago asking a GW staff member how to paint them and hims reply to me was "you dont want to do imperial fists, you want to do Crimson fists far better army and easyer to paint" lol

for me, to get the yellow i wanted it didnt us GW paints i used Vallejo Game Colour, golden yellow, and the next shade up, thinks its sunburst yellow. over a white undercoat, about 2 thin coats did it, once dry i fine lines orgern flesh into the gaps in the armour and then started to highlight with the sunburst yellow. The finial highlight was done with a 50/50 mix of sunburst yellow and white, put at the edges and corners of the armour. job done.

keep it up, and remember painting comes with time, the more time you put into it the better you get.

looking forward in seeing more

rik

thanks wings that helped alot im going to try shading after i eat my dinner and probably post pictures afterwards and rik thanks! i will definetley be keeping this topic updated with more works to come so im glad that im getting all the tips and encouragement to keep painting and trying, i will get there eventually! so thanks again for the encouragement and no criticism as the imperial fists are a very hard army to paint and get the yellow you desire!

also! for all who want to stay up to date with my projects just let me know as i will be getting some terms soon and i will be looking for a company of the imperial fists to paint them and a good solid way to paint them!

Archived